FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

Old July 5th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default O.K., so what about that spot Ira?

"Amistad" wrote in message
"oly" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
The Lord God Ira-WEH doesn't sell "i" coins. He's said so many
times. We should believe everything that Ira has ever thought done or
said, dontcha know?

Oly, how much more of this will it take to satisfy you? You've given
ample evidence in all of these kinds of responses you that you detest Ira.
OK, you have the right to adopt that stance towards him if you choose to
do so, and you have emphatically done so. FWIW, I don't think there is
anyone here who enjoys reading this type of stuff over and over. I know
that I surely don't. Please cease from continuing this activity. Enough
is enough, and in this case, it's *more* than enough.

I don't know if it's of any importance to you, but one of the 10
Commandments (listed in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5) is very clear. God
does not take lightly those who use His name in vain. In layman's terms,
He's saying "Don't go messin' with my name." You may want to consider
that.

Larry

My previous post appears to have gone unnoticed.

OLY IS A TROLL. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. THANK YOU.

You would think that people would know better.

He's been in my kill file for some time now, he should be in everyone's.
Billy

Old July 5th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 5:36 am, "Amistad" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

I don't detest Ira. Far from it. And I am aware that he isn't
entirely comfortable with his cult status.

But I do have a problem with the assumptions that have to be made
where a grown man can, with no sense of shame, say that "You should
buy this copper penny made in 1955 for $13,400; it's a good deal".

As for choosing between Yah-Ira or Ira-Weh, well that's your choice
Larry. You're in the cult, I'm not.

oly

Old July 5th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 6:01 am, "PC" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

The Lord God Ira-WEH doesn't sell "i" coins.

Hey oly, you are entitled to express your opinions, but I would appreciate
it if we could avoid even wandering near the line of expressing racism or
bigotry. The use of Ira-WEH makes me feel you are making allegations about
Ira being Jewish as if that is something shameful and I just don't feel that
is prudent. I hope you consider my thoughts on avoiding this line of
verbiage.

I've never said squat about Ira's relegion because I don't know what
it is. Never once. And, I still don't know what it is, because a lot
of people who say things here are seriously misinformed.

Show me one post that you could take to the anti-defamation people.

Here in Springpatch, all the Meyers and many of the Steins are
Christian.

oly

Old July 5th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 6:17 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 4, 10:57 pm, "Honus" . wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

roups.com...

snip

Should you not make any money when you resell a modern U.S. coin
priced at this level, what was the point?

Spoken like a true non-collector.

My response spoken like a devil's advocate. But IF you are a
collector, then why isn't an XF 1955 double die good enough and you
can keep the other $12,000 for the pursuit of other better pieces?
Like a Charles II five guineas?

An XF 1955 would be just fine for me, but my buddy might have to limit his
goal to a F-VF. A wealthy neighbor could easily absorb a $12,000 DDO in
his collection, especially if he's through making payments on his $1.4
million home and $250,000 yacht. I would rather have a MS64RD 1955 DDO than
its equivalent in common gold bullion coins. You apparently would opt for
the gold. What's the big deal? I have nothing against a Charles II five
guineas, but have absolutely no particular interest in owning one at a price
exceeding its bullion value. Some people enjoy spending $12,000 on a
vacation. Others insist on getting something tangible for their $12,000.

A date and mint set of Lincoln pennies is drivel for teething
numismatic babies.

Not according to the US Dept of Health.- Hide quoted text -

Very good. But could TB be transmitted via dirty old copper coins?

oly

Old July 5th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Amistad" wrote in message
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

I noticed your previous post, but I do not concur that Oly is a troll. He
has strong opinions that not everyone agrees with. His choice of vocabulary
and his method of presentation may offend some as well. You will note that
I could be describing myself here.

James

Old July 5th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

On Jul 5, 6:40 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 4, 9:56 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jul 4, 7:03 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 4, 5:13 pm, Ira wrote:
oly wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:49 am, Ira wrote:
Steve wrote:

Nice coin Ira, and certainly worth 5 digit money; but if it
weren't
for the
doubling I think the graders would have seen the evidence of
circulation.
This is a good example of maket grading. Thanks for sharing
and
wish you
the best with the auction - that coin would fit in nicely
with a
high end
set.

Steve

I see no evidence of wear on that coin, Steve. As all uncs and
circs
wre pulled out of the channels of commerce, you might say that
ALL
show some circulation, but the criteria is
whether one can see wear under 7X magnification. If not, all
grading
services will designate as uncirculated. That's trueof all
coins,
not
justLincoln cents. I've handled dozens of AU-55/58s of this
date
as
well as uncs, and the
AU-58s all show clear rub on cheek and jawbone, the highest
points
of
a Lincoln Cent. This doesn'tshow that rub.I don't believe the
doubling
has anything to do with the designation of uncirculated.

Ira

That's impeccable logic (at least to your cult members' level of
ability to reason), but the coin is flawed with a bad spot. This
type
of spot can easily get worse with the passage of time.

oly

Some spots Do get worse with time, but the spot has to be active.
This
spot is flat and black, not green as you have posited,
and has no concentric ring around it. It is not active. If the coin
is
kept in a cool dry environment and partiicularly if kept inan
Intercept Shield capsule, it will be stable.
I have some cents with spots like that in a safe deposit boxes at
the
bank with an Intercept Shield capsule around the slab and in 7
years,
as long as Intercept Shiled has been marketed,
there have been no changes in the spot s nor have any new ones
presented themselves.

In addition, there have been no color changes in any of my red
Lincolns stored in the sme way. So as usual,
you know little of what you expound. It is amusing to see you make
fool of yourself, Olson. I will give this, however. You apparently
know and understand French, while I do not. So you DIo have some
advantage in repling to Mr. Jaggers in a language I don't
understand.
Knock yourself out.

Ira- Hide quoted text -

O.K. Oz, that's your expert OPINION on the pesky tin spot on that
Lincon Cent (and it looks blue-green in your photograph); and I
freely
acknowledge your expertise; but why should anybody punt $13,400 to
find out if you're right? Thirteen thousand, four hundred dollars.
Fair amount of dough.

After all, it's just a damn penny, three grams of copper. A bronze
minor coin that is less than sixty years old. Really, what's the
point? Don't the downside risks far (far far far far far far)
exceed
the upside potential?

If a dyed-in-the-wool U.S. collector has to have a '55 double die,
why
wouldn't a brown strict extra fine, WITHOUT TIN SPOT, do just as
well? After you've bought that XF, the remainder of the cash
(probably $12,000 or more) could buy ten rather nice Saints in the
indispensible PCGS slabs, around a month of travel in Europe mostly
staying in three-star hotels and when you get home, some additional
good books for one's library.

Or you could just buy the XF, then add to some stuff to your pantry
and finally stash the remainder of ten thousand or more in the good
old woolen sock.

Why are you preaching to the coin's seller when your bitch seems to be
with
all those foolish eager buyers waiting in the wings?

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Because Ira threw down a gauntlet with just how he first entitled this
thread.

And because, sometimes, irreverance is a wonderful and valuable tool.

Hmmm. Seemed like a gentle dig to me, considering how you badmouthed
some
of the high value coins in his auctions in the past. "Throwing down a
gauntlet" sounds like an extreme interpretation, but then I'm not you.

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Again, I was dissed and the old geezer who did it can't handle the
backchat. Or any backchat it seems. I guess that's what happens when
you've been at the center of a "cult of personality" for a while.

If this is all it takes to "diss" you, you've got an eye-opener of a life
ahead of you.

We have had an exceptionally long period of incredibly easy credit in
the U.S.A. which seems to be turning rapidly. The risks in paying
$13,400 for a Lincoln cent that is less than 60 years old seem very
high. If the RCC can handle a dissenting opinion, how is it gonna
handle a declining market?

Fifty-sixty years is plenty of time to establish a true value. Experts
assess the true "value" of our former presidents in much less time. The
risks of spending $13,400 on a collectible has no direct bearing on its age.
What do you know of the price history of this particular coin that makes you
feel like an investment strategist? I would like to have the 1955 T-Bird I
could have bought new for $3,000 and for which the market has a good handle
on its investment potential fifty years later.

Since when does "the RCC" handle market fluctuations collectively? I think
you're getting way over your head in this discussion.

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

I've been very fortunate in life and at age 48, the knocks have been
very few.

Of course, a person can avoid a lot of knocks by being sensible.
Buying a Lincoln Cent for $13,400 is not sensible.

If I put Ira's name in a subject line, his "cult of personality" would
be all over me.

oly

Old July 5th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 5, 6:17 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 4, 10:57 pm, "Honus" . wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

[cough] Never in a [cough] [cough] million [hack] years. [wheeze]

James
'love them AG-3 large cents'

Old July 5th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 5, 6:44 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 5, 4:40 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

What, pray tell, enjoyment is there in paying $13,400 for a Lincoln
Cent?

With a statement like that, you have pretty much established your motives
here for any who still had doubt.

The only enjoyment would be when you eventually sold it to a greater
fool for more money than you paid for it.

Sort of like squished pennies?

Squished pennies aren't about profits (although the hobby has enjoyed
a resurgance for the past six or seven years).

Most of the hobbyist elongated penny engravers and rollers are trying
to capture, or recapture "memories" of times and places that are
important to them. Squished pennies is the "souvenir" business in the
French sense (je me souviens) of the word.

Squished pennies are the least expensive way to make a metal
"exonumismatic" item and that's why so many rollers work with this
medium.

I have had a two inch medal made for me - it is of our local
courthouse and a popular statue on the lawn of the courthouse. The
dies alone cost over $2000 and each copper blank cost over $8. It's
beautifully done, and I've got ideas for more. But when the whole
project costs $4000, you can't do them too often.

Squished penny die - engraved by experts - costs $80 to $200. The
more hand engraving required, the higer the price. I like arty dies,
which are the more expensive kind. I've made/ had made 91 dies over
the last seven years.

I make it a point to do one local/ limited interest die about my area
of Central Illinois for every "commercial" die that I have made.

Out of my 91 dies, one die has paid for itself at least 30 times over
(probably 40 times over). Seven other dies have paid for themselves
at least twice or better. About ten of my dies I've never really had
the time to utilize, not just yet, because of time constraints.

I hope to use these dies for the next ten or twenty years. Maybe they
will all pay for themselves someday.

When I ask the sincere question why would anybody pay $13,400 for a
modern Lincoln Cent???, my motive is to sew the seeds of doubt. Make
people think before they **** their money away.

I hope that somewhere, sometime, I have done so.

oly

Old July 5th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 5, 6:01 am, "PC" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

The Lord God Ira-WEH doesn't sell "i" coins.

Hey oly, you are entitled to express your opinions, but I would
appreciate
it if we could avoid even wandering near the line of expressing racism or
bigotry. The use of Ira-WEH makes me feel you are making allegations
about
Ira being Jewish as if that is something shameful and I just don't feel
that
is prudent. I hope you consider my thoughts on avoiding this line of
verbiage.

I've never said squat about Ira's relegion because I don't know what
it is. Never once. And, I still don't know what it is, because a lot
of people who say things here are seriously misinformed.

Show me one post that you could take to the anti-defamation people.

I didn't say you were being bigotted. I said that it makes me feel that you
are. Others may come to the same erroneous conculsion. Let's just not go
there if at all possible.

Old July 5th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 06:16:10 -0700, oly wrote:

Squished pennies aren't about profits (although the hobby has enjoyed
a resurgance for the past six or seven years).

I'm not familiar with this "squished penny" thing. Is this the same
thing as what is done by the machines at places like the Museum of
Science and Industry in Chicago? Or, is there more to it?

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/details...b-c9a4c7d1a47b

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL