Jewelry coin

Old July 7th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

Default Jewelry coin

Hey all,
Been going through my small collection of stuff. So far,you guys id'd my
1796 Polish Grosso.With very little info,I might add.I can't afford a camera
right now.
Now,I've been trying to identify a silver coin in an 18k gold bezel.The
bezel obstructs alot of the letters around the edge and some are worn pretty
badly.It has no date(as far as I can tell. So far I think it's a papal coin
but I can't find a match.I'll give the major details.
First,it's almost exatly the same size as a U.S. Quarter.
One side has the word "Hispania" around the 1 o'clock to 4 o'clock edge. The
center(same side) has two pillars separated by the letters PI -pillar -IV-
pillar -VI(Pius VI?) surrounded by a circle. Looks like the letter MoET at
the 6 0'clock edge.
The other side has a coat of arms in the center with four quadrants.Looks
like the upper and lower are just the same ,reversed.Not sure what the upper
left and lower right are(maybe pillars again?).Lower right and upper left
are lions.Outside the coat of arms is a small o on the left and a an oM on
the right.
Letters around the edge are I O H? A N A R E ? I S. Thats about all I can
see without removing the bezel. Hope you don't mind a puzzle.Thanks for
looking.Pete

Old July 7th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 03:29:30 GMT, "don't look" don't
wrote:

[...]

It's a Spanish (probably colonial) 2 real piece. Does it look like
this? --
http://www.banxico.org.mx/sitioingles/billetesymonedas/didactico/coinsManufactFeaturesHistory/historyMexicanCoin.html

If so, then you've got a Charles I and Joanna piece from the mid 16th
century! The whole inscription is Carolus et Iohana Re Hispanarum et
Indiarum -- Charles & Johana Monarchs of (the) Spain(s) and the
Indies.

Padraic

Old July 7th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

http://www.banxico.org.mx/sitioingle...ico/coinsManuf
actFeaturesHistory/historyMexicanCoin.html

If so, then you've got a Charles I and Joanna piece from the mid 16th
century! The whole inscription is Carolus et Iohana Re Hispanarum et
Indiarum -- Charles & Johana Monarchs of (the) Spain(s) and the
Indies.

Padraic

Holy Moly!!You guys are really good at this. It's not exactly the same as
this.The" Carolus et Iohana Re Hispanarum et Indiarum" inscription is
pretty much identical. Now I know what's there it make more sense.
But the other side is different.There are no numbers in the center and the
letters PI VS VI are spaced
PI ]I[ VS ]I[ VI .
The ]I[ represents the pillar. But yeah,very close. Any idea of the
value?I'd like to track down some more info on this if anyone has any?How
likely is it to be counterfiet? I remember I got this from, a friend of my
Mom's about 20 some years ago.She asked me to go through her deceased
husbands small collection of stuff.Most of it was things he picked up while
owning a tavern.I have no idea where they got this though it was in the same
collection as the 1678 Polish Grosso I mentioned in my earlir post.She said
to keep what I liked!!
Thanks again!!Pete

Old July 7th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

wrote:

[...]

Now I know what to look for,this one is very close. The "Golden Fleece"
shipwreck coins are alnost right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golden-Fleece-Wr...R-L-M_W0QQitem
Z330125409503QQihZ014QQcategoryZ541QQtcZphotoQQcmd ZViewItemt

Old July 7th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:59:18 GMT, "don't look" don't
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Gocha. The inscription in there is PLV]I[SVL]I[TRA -- the same plus
ultra I mentioned above (or if not, it's the Spanish motto and means
"more beyond"). The 4 means four reales, so this coin would be about
the size of a half dollar. Yours should probably have a "2" in the
middle.

I have no idea about value, though older Spanish coins can get pricey.
I wish I had paid more attention to what they were going for in Spain
when I was there!

Padraic

Old July 8th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roger Hunt

don't look wrote

Now I know what to look for,this one is very close. The "Golden Fleece"
shipwreck coins are alnost right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golden-Fleece-Wr...R-L-M_W0QQitem
Z330125409503QQihZ014QQcategoryZ541QQtcZphotoQQcm dZViewItemt

Is it more like this 1 Reale coin?
http://cgi.ebay.es/JUANA-Y-CARLOS-1-...-VANO-LEYENDA-
MBC_W0QQitemZ260133775021QQihZ016QQcategoryZ21126Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ygyqb

It is not in the best of condition but the PI-VS-VI spacing is correct
and there is no number between the pillars.
--
Roger Hunt
Old July 8th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
don't look wrote

Now I know what to look for,this one is very close. The "Golden Fleece"
shipwreck coins are alnost right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golden-Fleece-Wr...-R-L-M_W0QQite

Z330125409503QQihZ014QQcategoryZ541QQtcZphotoQQcm dZViewItemt

Is it more like this 1 Reale coin?
http://cgi.ebay.es/JUANA-Y-CARLOS-1-...-VANO-LEYENDA-
MBC_W0QQitemZ260133775021QQihZ016QQcategoryZ21126Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ygyqb

It is not in the best of condition but the PI-VS-VI spacing is correct
and there is no number between the pillars.
--
Roger Hunt

Yup.That definitely what I have!!It's got the single dot which denotes 1
reale. I guess it isn't worth all that much.Pretty cool though.
Mine has more of the inscription around the edges with only one or two
letters badly worn..All the major details are there. The 18k gold bezel is
probably worth more than the coin? What does 78,00 euros translate to in
U.S.dollars?$100 or so? Thanks for cleraring this up for me y'all!!Pete

Old July 8th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roger Hunt

don't look wrote
"Roger Hunt" wrote in message

Is it more like this 1 Reale coin?
http://cgi.ebay.es/JUANA-Y-CARLOS-1-...-VANO-LEYENDA-
MBC_W0QQitemZ260133775021QQihZ016QQcategoryZ21126Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ygyqb

It is not in the best of condition but the PI-VS-VI spacing is correct
and there is no number between the pillars.

Yup.That definitely what I have!!It's got the single dot which denotes 1
reale. I guess it isn't worth all that much.Pretty cool though.
Mine has more of the inscription around the edges with only one or two
letters badly worn..All the major details are there.

I like the thought of the possibility that the two coins were made by
the same man, wielding the same hammer, perhaps on the same afternoon
even ...
The 18k gold bezel is
probably worth more than the coin? What does 78,00 euros translate to in
U.S.dollars?$100 or so? Thanks for cleraring this up for me y'all!!Pete

If you could get the coin photographed that would be very good. I would
think that yours should be rather more attractive than the clipped wreck
that I found.
--
Roger Hunt

Coin Jewelry FOR SALE P.T. Coins 0 March 24th 07 12:01 AM
Coin dealer & jewelry shop dispute over ownership of coin stonej Coins 11 July 23rd 05 04:22 PM
Coin/jewelry store closes stonej Coins 0 April 26th 05 06:44 PM
Coin jewelry Reid Goldsborough Coins 16 October 7th 04 07:17 PM
Anyone ever heard of Lewis Jewelry and Coin? William Reynolds Coins 0 May 22nd 04 11:14 PM