2004 Uncirculated Sets - Why the Increase?

Old September 1st 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ronrpk

Default 2004 Uncirculated Sets - Why the Increase?

Back in 2004, I bought my usual 2 sets of the Uncirculateds and
haven't paid much attention to them since. A buddy of mine wants to
buy one from me so I looked them up. Going for approximately $50-60
each. Anyone know why?

Thanks.

-- Ron K
Old September 1st 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

"ronrpk" wrote in message
Back in 2004, I bought my usual 2 sets of the Uncirculateds and
haven't paid much attention to them since. A buddy of mine wants to
buy one from me so I looked them up. Going for approximately $50-60
each. Anyone know why?

Thanks.

-- Ron K

The Mint stopped sales of them months earlier than normal so people who
waited to order them were caught by surprise and missed them at issue price,
thus they bring a lot more on the secondary market (dealers, eBay..) .. than
they would if sales hadn't been cut off early. I don't remember why sales
were cut off early. Someone else will. Other than that, there's nothing
particularly special about them. I don't know of any discoveries of
Wisconsin extra low and high leaf quarters in them, for example. By the way,
the PCGS Price Guide has them at $85.00! CW's Trends / Values is pretty high
too, but not quite that high.

Harv

Old September 1st 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ronrpk

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 03:12:40 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

"ronrpk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Harv for the info. I vaguely remember something about that cut
off but couldn't quite remember if it was this set or not. I did some
e-bay searches wondering if there was a semi-key or something like
that in the set but didn't see anything on the few searches I did.

Will probably sell my friend a set for $50. Save me listing fees,
final values fees, etc.

Guess I should feel lucky I got the 2 sets I did,, :-)

-- Ron K
Old September 1st 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
cougar

On a similiar note, is there a difference between the "2006 United
States Mint Silver Proof Set™ (V60)" and the (V50) set that's coming
out on 9/15? I don't see any difference.

ronrpk wrote:
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 03:12:40 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

.. .

Old September 1st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

cougar wrote:
On a similiar note, is there a difference between the "2006 United
States Mint Silver Proof Set™ (V60)" and the (V50) set that's coming
out on 9/15? I don't see any difference.

V50 is the 2005 set. V60 is 2006.

This is a little unusual. Normally, the U.S. Mint doesn't offer two
years of proof sets at the same time. However, Congress screwed up the
legislation authorizing the the Westward Journey Nickels and made it
illegal to sell any of them after the end of 2005. They corrected this
mistake in July - so several coin sets went back on sale (including the
2005 Silver Proof Set).

Here's more info on this snafu:
http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/inde...release&ID=681

--
Jim Seymour
Old September 1st 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 1 Sep 2006 05:33:17 -0700, cougar wrote:
On a similiar note, is there a difference between the "2006 United
States Mint Silver Proof Set™ (V60)" and the (V50) set that's coming
out on 9/15? I don't see any difference.

Isn't one a 2005 and the other a 2006? I'd go back and look but that
site is dog-slow.
Old September 1st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

ronrpk wrote:
Back in 2004, I bought my usual 2 sets of the Uncirculateds and
haven't paid much attention to them since. A buddy of mine wants to
buy one from me so I looked them up. Going for approximately $50-60
each. Anyone know why?

Thanks.

-- Ron K

Simply put, you bought two and some of us didn't buy any. Isn't that
always the way?

Jerry

Old September 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

"ronrpk" wrote in message

Thanks Harv for the info. I vaguely remember something about that cut
off but couldn't quite remember if it was this set or not. I did some
e-bay searches wondering if there was a semi-key or something like
that in the set but didn't see anything on the few searches I did.

Will probably sell my friend a set for $50. Save me listing fees,
final values fees, etc.

Guess I should feel lucky I got the 2 sets I did,, :-)

-- Ron K

Yeah, I was one of those who waited too long to order and then they were
taken off sale. So I had none. I found a friend who had some extras and he
sold me one at issue price of $14.95. I didn't try to trick him or hide the
fact they were selling for far more than that. He's an avid collector and
should have known but who can keep track of everything? Anyway he still has
a couple left. I buy at least one, usually two Mint sets, Clad Proof sets
and Silver Proof sets every year and have an almost complete run of them
back to 1956 with a few holes here and there I'll have to fill in some day.
But when something as common and high mintage as the yearly Mint set is
there for months, and you put it off assuming it'll be there until the end
of the year - I mean they NEVER are a rapid sell-out, well I just waited too
long and The Mint pulled the rug out from under me. But at least I filled
that hole and didn't have to pay through the nose for it.

It's like the 1999 Silver Proof sets. I could have bought seven and only
bought two and quickly re-sold one for double the $30.00 issue price so the
other one was "free" and now they go for nearly $400.00. Why didn't I buy
seven at $30.00 each? I dunno. Why didn't a lot of people. Because no one
had a freakin' clue they'd be 12x issue price a few years later.

I'm trying not to make the same mistake anymore so now I jump on new Mint
products the first day, (if my gut tells me it'll be a fast sellout).. like
the three coin ASE set that went on sale and sold out in one day this week.
And the SF Mint Commemoratives. I ordered one, and went back and ordered two
more as soon as I read the very expensive AGE Gold set had sold out in
hours. The Gold set would be nice but $2600.00 is too rich for my blood even
if it triples in price immediately when it ships, I just can't justify
cutting loose that much cash on a gamble that it will. That's more than two
months' rent. The ASE sets at $100.00 a pop (for about $36.00 worth of
Silver..) .. are within reason and the immediate sellout of 250,000 sets
tells me when they ship in a month or three, you ain't gonna find them for
anywhere remotely near $100.00. It's that first of its kind Reverse Proof
that's gonna be a key. I expect to see these sets going for $300 to $500 as
soon as they get into folks' hands. And God only knows how much the Reverse
Proof alone will go for if someone gets any into a PCGS 70 slab.

Harv

Old September 3rd 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
steve edwards

It's because I only bought two, instead of four, like I did for the
previous years.

Steve E.