"Worthless" euros face possible meltdown

Old August 25th 04, 08:32 PM
Bob Flaminio

Nick Cassaro wrote:
Christian Feldhaus wrote:
Nick Cassaro wrote:
To me, ANY Euro is a worthless Euro. In my opinion, this is the
beginning of the end of the Euro's dominance over the US Dollar.

What dominance?

What dominance? On a recent trip to Europe, I had to change my money
for the first time because theirs is worth more than ours. That
dominance.

At what time would one travel to Europe and *not* have to change money?
Color me confused on this one...

--
Bob

Old August 25th 04, 10:02 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:32:36 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" is alleged
to have written:

Nick Cassaro wrote:
Christian Feldhaus wrote:
Nick Cassaro wrote:
To me, ANY Euro is a worthless Euro. In my opinion, this is the
beginning of the end of the Euro's dominance over the US Dollar.

What dominance?

What dominance? On a recent trip to Europe, I had to change my money
for the first time because theirs is worth more than ours. That
dominance.

At what time would one travel to Europe and *not* have to change money?
Color me confused on this one...

Actually, I've NEVER had to change money. VISA handles all of that for me, I
just hand the merchant my card. He gets paid in quatloos or whatever, I get
billed in US$.

Bruce
Old August 25th 04, 10:54 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Actually, I've NEVER had to change money. VISA handles all of that for me, I
just hand the merchant my card. He gets paid in quatloos or whatever, I get
billed in US$.

Huh. I thought quatloos were only good at thrall auctions. I'm SOOOOO
behind...

- Scot
Old August 25th 04, 11:56 PM
JSTONE9352

Actually, most mericans probably have no clue what a euro even is...

Guess again. American are not
as dumb as the stereotypes make
us out to be.

Now Germany..... they have to
explain why they accepted David
Hasselhoff as a singing star.
(smile face here).
Old August 26th 04, 01:04 AM
Christian Feldhaus

JSTONE9352 wrote:

Actually, most mericans probably have no clue what a euro even is...

Guess again. American are not as dumb as the stereotypes make us out
to be.

The line you quoted above was posted by Bob Flaminio. (Except that he
did not leave the "A" in front of "mericans" out - that was me. Sorry,
no idea how that happened ...)

Now Germany..... they have to explain why they accepted David Hasselhoff
as a singing star. (smile face here).

For some unintellegible reason "Baywatch" was a big success in Germany.
And apparently somebody here thought, hey, this Hasselhoff must be about
as great when singing as he is when acting. In a way, that assumption
was right g.

Christian
Old August 26th 04, 05:58 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Stujoe wrote:

Christian Feldhaus spoke thusly...
Stujoe wrote:

It is not the first time I have seen the allergic reaction about nickel
coins. I think there were a few articles about it coming out of Europe a
while back. I haven't seen much about it in the US.

Probably because in Europe (well, parts of it) we got entirely new coins
a few years ago. Such a switch is of course a welcome occasion to
discuss the pros and cons of nickel in coins. As for how much nickel
actually is in the euro coins, see my previous reply to Bob ...

I think you are correct. It probably was back when the Euro first came
out. I remembered reading it because it was the first time I ever heard
of it.

IIRC, I read at that time that the 'nickel' thing is one reason why the
Swedes have not yet taken the Euro plunge. It has something to do with
ban on nickel in coinage in their national constitution.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old August 26th 04, 06:07 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Alan Williams wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

John Stone wrote:
These poor low denomination coins just can't get any respect.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixportal.html

Chiming in on the relative worthlessness of this article:

The alloys are a mix of 75 per cent copper and 25 percent nickel, a
metal known to cause skin allergies.

This is the same alloy as the United States five cent coin, which has
been in circulation since 1866. If anyone can point me to a cite for a
single case of skin allergy caused by handling coinage, I'll give you a
nickel.

Not only nickels, but the outer layer of USA dimes and quarters dated
1965 and later, Half dollars 1971 and later and SBAs is the same 75%
Cu/25% Ni alloy.

This allergy issue must be a Euro-centric thing as I have never heard of
any problems with it here in the USA.

If nickels caused skin problems, Alan Williams would be covered in
rashes head to toe.

--
Bob

http://allergies.about.com/cs/skin/a/aa030899.htm

Beware of multiple popups at notorious 'About' site. ;-)

"The metals that most commonly cause allergic skin reactions are nickel,
chrome, and mercury. Nickel allergies are on the rise affecting as many
as ten percent of women and two percent of men. It is believed this
increase is due to the current fad of body piercing.

The North American Contact Dermatitis Group conducted a study in 1996
and found that 14 percent of patients undergoing routine allergy testing
had reactions to nickel. Once nickel allergy occurs, it persists for
many years, often for a lifetime.

Nickel is found in many products. It can be found in jewelry, buckles,
zippers, snaps, buttons, hair-pins, and metal clips. Be aware that any
metal product may contain nickel.

Nickel can also be found in foods. Foods high in nickel include legumes,
grains, fish, and chocolate.

Chrome contains nickel, therefore contact with objects that are
chrome-plated may cause allergic skin reactions in people who are nickel sensitive."

???

'Chrome' is short for 'chromium', a hard, brittle metallic chemical
element. Nickel is also a chemical element. 'Chrome plate' is just
that, a piece of some other metal with an electroplated layer of
chromium on its outside.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old August 26th 04, 09:29 AM
Kyle Mutcher

Flawed information... more than just flawed, it's also poorly written, they
make it sound like the one and two cent coins are 25% Nickle and 75% Copper,
this is totally incorrect, they are copper plated steel. Sounds like a
tabloid just trying to scare the masses.

Kyle.

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
John Stone wrote:

These poor low denomination coins just can't get any respect.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...04/08/25/weuro
25.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/08/25/ixportal.html

Must be extremely difficult to write an article about that issue without
any "flawed" information g. First that odd Deutsche Welle text, now
this: the Dutch authorities have ordered shopkeepers to round prices to
the nearest five cents.

"Ordered"?? No, of course not. Recommended to round totals, yes. And the
overwhelming majority of the supermarkets in NL will do so, I suppose.

Contrary to stores in Germany, by the way: The retailers association
(HDE) is against rounding, the grocery stores association (BVL) says it
should be tried out, the banks assoc. (BDB) supports it. The federal
government is against rounding regulations but says that of course
stores are free to round their product prices in a way that such
regulations are not necessary. So don't expect things in DE to change
any time soon ...

Christian

Old August 26th 04, 09:34 AM
Kyle Mutcher

He "was" a Canadian, but we have laws against citizens accepting titles from
Foreign governments. When he was offered a Lordship by the Queen, he had to
renounce his Canadian citizenship to accept the title. He's a Brit now.

Kyle.

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Dik T. Winter wrote:

Again, not well researched.

Hey, it's the Daily Telegraph g. The DT - owned by a Canadian AFAIK -
has been running an almost hysterical anti-euro campaign and still has a
regular column about what those evil eurocrats supposedly do to Britain.
About as bad as the Sun, except that nobody even expects quality
journalism from the latter g.

The Dutch authorities did not order anything.
Rounding is volontary, shops may or may not do it.

That (see my previous message), and also nonsense like Each country is
responsible for issuing its own euro notes and coins. True for coins -
but not true for notes, of course.

Christian

CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM