Small Red Squares on Battle of Britain stamps?

Old December 30th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default Small Red Squares on Battle of Britain stamps?

A Danish collecter have asked us what the red squares means and why
they are put on these stamps:
http://www.qxl.dk/Cafe/Messageselse....398&IDM=631756
Thanks in advance for an explanation and
Happy New Year!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old December 30th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

I've not seen them on any GB issues I have.
Judging by the UL stamp, they appear to be placed on the stamps after
cancellation! Only a physical examination could determine if this is
correct, but the red seems to cover the CDS.

"Out of the Blue" - a child playing Postmaster with a rubber stamp?

Thanks, Sir F
Yes, maybe it's a child. We have seen that before!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old December 30th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
A Danish collecter have asked us what the red squares means and why
they are put on these stamps:
http://www.qxl.dk/Cafe/Messageselse....398&IDM=631756
Thanks in advance for an explanation and
Happy New Year!

A guess - they are like the additional markings borne by aircraft of the
Polish manned squadrons in the Battle of Britain - perhaps some unofficial
overprint remembering them?

Old December 31st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Gazza" wrote:

A guess - they are like the additional markings borne by aircraft of the
Polish manned squadrons in the Battle of Britain - perhaps some unofficial
overprint remembering them?

Thanks, Sounds very reasonable even I could not find that mark via
Google.
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old December 31st 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
"Gazza" wrote:

A guess - they are like the additional markings borne by aircraft of the
Polish manned squadrons in the Battle of Britain - perhaps some unofficial
overprint remembering them?

Thanks, Sounds very reasonable even I could not find that mark via
Google.
--

- see the nose on this spitfire
http://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/spitfire.jpg

Old January 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Dec 31 2007, 1:43 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
"Toke Nørby" wrote in message

... "Gazza" wrote:

A guess - they are like the additional markings borne by aircraft of the
Polish manned squadrons in theBattleofBritain- perhaps some unofficial
overprintremembering them?

Thanks, Sounds very reasonable even I could not find that mark via
Google.
--

- see the nose on this spitfirehttp://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/spitfire.jpg

As noted in the other group, this is also the naval / air signal flag
for
the letter "U" . This flag signal means "You are running into
trouble."

In any case, I see it as a private overprint, either to remember
Polish
pilots in the Battle of Britain but more likely, giving a 'black
humour'
warning to the Nazi pilots in that battle that the spitfires are after
them.
(see Gazza's spitfire picture)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._flags#Letters

Blair
Old January 3rd 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Blair (TC)" wrote:

On Dec 31 2007, 1:43 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
- see the nose on this spitfirehttp://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/spitfire.jpg

...snip

As noted in the other group, this is also the naval / air signal flag
for the letter "U" . This flag signal means "You are running into
trouble."

In any case, I see it as a private overprint, either to remember
Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain but more likely, giving a 'black
humour' warning to the Nazi pilots in that battle that the spitfires are after
them.
(see Gazza's spitfire picture)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._flags#Letters

Blair

Wonderful photo, Gazza! Thanks! I have forwarded the photo to the
discussion group where the question arose.

Even I am in doubt about the signal flag, I think that you are right
Blair - it could be a message to the Nazi pilots (I'm in doubt because
normally a signal flag hasn't a border of any kind). Anyway, thanks a
lot for comments to this little question!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old January 3rd 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

This was the national marking of the Polish Air Force prior to WW2.
After the fall of France in 1940, several squadrons of the Royal Air
Force ( bombers and maritime reconnaissance as well as fighters) were
formed from Polish pilots ( and Czechs,Dutch, Belgian,Norwegian and
Free French too). Aircraft of "Polish" squadrons often hard
"miniature" Polish markings added as in the photograph as an aid to
"esprit de corps".

These "exiled" pilots put up a particularly good performance in the
Battle of Britain, as many of them had 4 or 5 times as much combat
experience against German pilots, than the RAF pilots, having fought
in Poland, and some in the French Air Force before arriving in the UK.

Malcolm

Old January 3rd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

malcolm wrote:

This was the national marking of the Polish Air Force prior to WW2.
After the fall of France in 1940, several squadrons of the Royal Air
Force ( bombers and maritime reconnaissance as well as fighters) were
formed from Polish pilots ( and Czechs,Dutch, Belgian,Norwegian and
Free French too). Aircraft of "Polish" squadrons often hard
"miniature" Polish markings added as in the photograph as an aid to
"esprit de corps".

These "exiled" pilots put up a particularly good performance in the
Battle of Britain, as many of them had 4 or 5 times as much combat
experience against German pilots, than the RAF pilots, having fought
in Poland, and some in the French Air Force before arriving in the UK.

Malcolm

Thanks, Malcolm!

--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old January 4th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message malcolm wrote:

This was the national marking of the Polish Air Force prior to WW2.
After the fall of France in 1940, several squadrons of the Royal Air
Force ( bombers and maritime reconnaissance as well as fighters) were
formed from Polish pilots ( and Czechs,Dutch, Belgian,Norwegian and
Free French too). Aircraft of "Polish" squadrons often hard
"miniature" Polish markings added as in the photograph as an aid to
"esprit de corps".

These "exiled" pilots put up a particularly good performance in the
Battle of Britain, as many of them had 4 or 5 times as much combat
experience against German pilots, than the RAF pilots, having fought
in Poland, and some in the French Air Force before arriving in the UK.

Sadly they were not used until fairly late in the battle due to
a certain prejudice against them in the higher reaches of the
RAF. One problem was that they talked far too much when in action,
preventing others from communicating.

I would agree that they acquitted themselves extremely well
once they were deployed.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :