Dollar Coins in Normal Commerce

Old June 4th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coingirl

Default Dollar Coins in Normal Commerce

On Jun 3, 1:39*pm, Jud wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:46*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"loved those Snap Jacks".

OMG! I haven't thought of those in years! Yeah, I had a pair, but they
hurt my feet, so one pair and done!

Jud -Sneaker wearer-

Old June 4th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coingirl

On Jun 3, 1:39*pm, Jud wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:46*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"loved those Snap Jacks".

OMG! I haven't thought of those in years! Yeah, I had a pair, but they
hurt my feet, so one pair and done!

Jud -Sneaker wearer-

I loved Snap Jacks, too. And I had a pair of mustard colored penny
loafers. I know it sounds weird, but they matched a lot of my spring
clothes. But that was a FEW years ago.

And, I work in Iola, about an hour northwest of Appleton. The vending
machines in the breakroom take dollar coins and the change machine
gives them out. Sometimes I change a $5 bill just to get the coins.
But if you travel too far out of the area people don't seem to
recognize them and don't realize they are worth $1.
Old June 4th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Coingirl" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 1:39 pm, Jud wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:46 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"loved those Snap Jacks".

OMG! I haven't thought of those in years! Yeah, I had a pair, but they
hurt my feet, so one pair and done!

Jud -Sneaker wearer-

They made for great dress shoes-- easy on and off-- for those of us who
otherwise tromped around in those Marlon Brando-type engineer boots and
"dungarees" with the cuffs exposed. In my neighborhood, the Italian kids
discovered them first and the rest of us followed because we considered the
Italian kids to be the coolest dressers.

Old June 4th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Relayer

On Jun 2, 8:11�am, GFH wrote:
Are dollar coins being used in normal commerce? I have not seen even
one. �My bank does not have any. �The local post office has never seen
one. �I live near Charlottesville, VA.

Does anyone know of a location where these coins are in common use?

GFH

Fr many years, upon arriving home from wrk, I emptied my change into a
coffee jar and started new each day and cashed them in at the end of
the month. 90% of the time, it was between $80 and $90 dollars. What
it told me was my buying habits month to month were basically the same
Old June 8th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jass[_2_]

Theyre very common in cities with public transit, and theyre very rare
in suburbs without it.

NYC, Boston, DC etc, wherever you buy a subway ticket from a machine,
you can get dollar coins, and thus merchants are used to receiving
them in change (but dont give them out). By law, agencies that get
federal support must accept dollar coins and must give them as change
from machines.

In cities without fare machines, dollar coins tend to be limited to
folks who take the bus a lot, and go out of their way to get a roll
from the bank (versus a toll of quarters).

Cities also have the advantage that there are parking meters
everywhere, many that take dollar coins. When I visited san francisco
last month, I got a roll because I knew I would encounter meters
charging $3 an hour.

My post office still has a stamp machine, which returns coins as
change.

If youre ever in Boston, you can stick a 20 into a fare machine, add a
dollar to your transit card, and get 19 coins in change. Rumor has it
that the machines take 50s, but I have no interest in testing if it
would spit out 49 coins.

Dollar Coin Defects and Genearl Commerce Use Arizona Coin Collector Coins 1 September 16th 09 08:48 PM
Stamps & Coins: Will dollar coins make paper dollars obsolete? Arizona Coin Collector Coins 1 January 4th 09 07:14 AM
Ancient coins and ancient commerce Paul Ciszek Coins 2 December 26th 07 05:47 PM
more like normal Ed Hendricks Coins 0 April 12th 06 01:00 AM
Back to "normal" joe Autographs 0 August 23rd 05 11:25 PM