Its Official - Michael Doran will run for the ANA Board in 2007

Old December 2nd 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

Default Its Official - Michael Doran will run for the ANA Board in 2007

am pleased to announce to everyone here on the
rec.collecting.paper-money chat group that, as of today, Friday,
December 1, 2006, I will be running for a seat on the Board of
Governors of the American Numismatic Association for the 2007-2009
term.

I have had a number of people approach me on this and I have also
discussed it with my wife Donna and my friends in the coin collector
and dealer community. I felt that, after weighing the pros and cons,
that the time was right to venture into what may be the toughest
election that I have ever got involved in. Some of you here in this
group will make comments, and you're welcome to do so, whether good or
bad. Please read the press release, which will be printed in all of the
Krause numismatic periodicals and in Coin World soon. Thank you, God
bless you, and wish me the best of luck.

------PRESS RELEASE - BEGIN -----

Greetings Everyone,

In the last year and one-half, America's largest coin club, the
American Numismatic Association, or the ANA as it is called, has been
in the press for less than positive reasons. A board member removal,
firings, secret closed door meetings, and now, controversial changes to
the bylaws has some within the membership concerned. As a life member,
I am every bit as concerned about the happenings in Colorado Springs as
you are, and I feel that the current ANA leadership is dragging the
association down a slippery slope. In 2005, we elected the current
leadership to their respective offices with the understanding that they
will serve the hobby in its best interests. Unfortunately, with all the
aforementioned controversies, they have failed, and let the membership
down.

A positive change is needed in the ANA, and, with new board members and
officers fresh with new ideas that are free from petty politics, these
changes will be possible. The ANA must be more transparent and open. It
must treat its members and clubs with the utmost respect. And most
importantly, the ANA must return to its number one purpose - to promote
the knowledge, study, and science of the numismatic hobby. For these
reasons and upon the suggestions from my wife, Donna, and my friends in
the hobby, I am formally announcing that I am running for a seat on the
Board of Governors of the ANA for the 2007-2009 term.

I know that this election will not be easy, and I know that I will have
my supporters giving me plenty of praise while there are those who
support my opponents will only focus on the negative. I am prepared for
that. But I will never, ever resort to similar tactics that some people
have done in past elections. A positive message weighs much more to
people than a negative one.

I will be having a campaign website up and running by January 1, 2007
or sooner. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the
campaign and to be informed when the campaign website is open, please
feel free to e-mail me at or write to Michael
Doran, P.O. Box 30, Greenup, Illinois 62428-0030.

This summer, vote for positive change in Colorado Springs. Elect
Michael Doran for the ANA Board of Governors - because "It's Time For A
Change!"

Thank you and God bless everyone.

Old December 3rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"dorancoins" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That last sentence probably lost you a fair number of votes as it's most
frequently used by conmen. Billy

Old December 4th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

note.boy wrote:
[...]

note.boy - I believe that the last sentence you referred to has no
effect on whether the members of the ANA will vote for or against me.
And I am not a con man - I work for a living and live an average middle
class lifestyle like anyone else. Simple as that!

Old December 5th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

note.boy wrote:
[...]

If I was member of the ANA the use of that sentence by you would mean that
even if I considered you to be the best candidate I would not vote for you.

I suggest that you drop it. Billy

Old December 12th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
stonej

dorancoins wrote:
whatever!

note.boy wrote:
[...]

I suggest something more forceful: "It's time to throw the bums out"
or "Let's clean house
and bring back the ANA to what it is supposed to be"

Old December 12th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

Hello stonej,

I think the "clean house" one - clear and to the point. And I thank
you for your suggestion and also for letting everyone know of coin and
currency developments here and aboard. If you wish to volunteer in my
campaign or want to contact me, then send me an e-mail at
.

Sincerely,
Michael Doran
Candidate for the ANA Board 2007