goood stationary?

Old July 7th 03, 05:50 PM
marlinspike

Default goood stationary?

What's a good, professional (i.e. not pink colored) stationary that takes
well to fountain pens? Is there anything I can find in a local
Staples/Office Depot (Strathmore paper is way too grainy for fountain pens)?
Thanks,
Richard

Old July 7th 03, 06:05 PM
marlinspike

"marlinspike" wrote in message
(Strathmore paper is way too grainy for fountain pens)?

That should say Southworth paper
Richard

Old July 7th 03, 10:29 PM
Ron Wilbanks

Some of the best paper in the world is made in France by Clairefontaine.
Their paper is "fountain pen friendly," and is very smooth. Here is
where my friends obtain this paper from:

http://www.pendemonium.com/stationery.htm

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!

Old July 8th 03, 01:12 AM
Ken Freeman

Clairfontaine paper, in some of the writing pads and Rhodia notebooks, is
pink. Is that what you meant by not wanting pink paper?

Ken

"Ron Wilbanks" wrote in message
Some of the best paper in the world is made in France by Clairefontaine.

I do enjoy Clairefontaine notebooks, do you know if the triomphe

stationary
is anything like their notebook paper?
Thanks,
Richard

Old July 8th 03, 01:39 AM
JimL

(Strathmore paper is way too grainy for fountain pens)?

That should say Southworth paper
Richard

That's right, because Strathmore Elements is really nice and smooth.
Southworth, and a lot of the former rag cotton bonds, were great with
electronic typewriters with carbon ribbons, but not necessarily with
pens.

I have found that I like, at the standard stores, to get the reams of
paper designed for the ink jet (not laser) printers. Quite reasonable
prices, and a very smooth surface that's almost like coated but isn't.
Your local Kinko's or printer can cut the reams into various sizes,
but I don't bother -- I just use the full sheets, or fold into halves
or quarters for notes or cards. Bright white, and sometimes available
in colors. Often they have matching envelopes available - but I
usually don't bother; I consider a mailing envelope akin to the
grocery store bag, just a container to be discarded.

Overall, cotton rag, textureds, etc., may be too "toothy" for fp's and
inks. Seeking smooth but absorbent, really the most common, but not
recycled, "copy" paper seems to work best. What used to be called
"typing paper," now sometimes called "xerographic" i.e. for
photocopiers and laser printers.

And the lion ate up Androcles, put the thorn back in its paw,
and lay back down on the side of the road, waiting for the
next sucker.
-- Androcles and the Lion, lost version
Old July 8th 03, 02:11 AM
marlinspike

I just meant that I want something businessy. I'm not out to be artsy with
my stationary. I just want good quality, unlined loose-sheets, but I don't
want flowers or teddy bears, or birds, or anything like that on it.
Richard

Old July 8th 03, 03:09 AM
Bluesea

"marlinspike" wrote in message
What's a good, professional (i.e. not pink colored) stationary that takes
well to fountain pens? Is there anything I can find in a local
Staples/Office Depot (Strathmore paper is way too grainy for fountain

pens)?

Hi, Richard.

I prefer Neenah's Classic Linen. It's 25% cotton and works well in my inkjet
printer as well.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 8th 03, 03:28 AM
PENDEMONIUM

Ken - Straight lines are easy, you just gotta cheat a little bit. Rule
out a blank page with heavy black lines with the old fashioned way with
black ink and ruler or print it out on the computer. Slide the sheet
under your blank page and you'll never be straight line challenged again
;-)

sam

"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote:

You guys that can write a straight line without lined paper are
something else. I usually tell people that I write my letters at work (I
work on vessels) and it is expected that the lines wonder all over the
place.
Ken.. (Whom is straight line challenged)

Old July 8th 03, 03:31 AM
PENDEMONIUM

I hear you, time to put Amalfi on the search list :-) Off I go ....
Sam

Hey, Sam, you guys got any Amalfi yet?

Old July 8th 03, 04:22 AM
marlinspike

When will the new color chart be ready? I want to order some clairefontaine
notebooks and stationary but I want to wait for the new chart to see if
there are any inks I want. Also what color lines are on the lined triomphe
stationary? Is that paper similar to the 24lb notebook paper clairefontaine
uses? What size spacing are the lines on the triomphe stationary?
Thanks,
Richard