Ambrose Bierce

Old January 15th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Edward Hennessey[_2_]

Default Ambrose Bierce

Faced with a welter of choices which I find difficult to compare without
more knowledge, I come here seeking opinions on the best available
edition of "The Devil's Dictionary" by the subject author. My recollection
is
that offerings have been published which, by dint of industry of the editors
combing the disjecta membra of Bruce, have managed to compile a more
comprehensive number of his quotations than appeared in the initial book
edition.

If anyone has any references, directions to another forum, commentary or
explicit recommendations which would be worth airing, I would gratefully
appreciate them. My massive preference is for a hardback volume in good
reading condition. I have no interest in an investment copy and couple that
declaration with a deep, but grudging, reluctance to accept a paperback
effort if that form is my best recourse for exclusive content.

Thank you again for the favor of your time and intelligence.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Old January 16th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Edward Hennessey[_2_]

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
[...]

Further research declared for "The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary" from
the University of Georgia Press and available used. If anyone is interested,
booksellers have a real scattergun range on this, so shop around.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Old January 16th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Edward Hennessey[_2_]

"Scaly Lizard" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:54:08 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

[...]

Mine is an octo hardbound, from the 1930's, and i could tell
you more if i could find the damned thing (pun) on a moments'
notice... but a quick scan of the library does not reveal the
little demon.

Nice book, hilarious, but certainly does not have any 'extra'
quotations. Thanks for the tip. I will now keep eyes open
for an 'expanded' version, but am certainly glad to have the
older, unexpanded, version as well.

SL

SL:

Well, if a library isn't big enough or the reader never overcome with
inspiration
while filing a good book, then those deprived of both will never know the
pleasure
of the serendipitous hunt.

Thank you for your effort. The unabridged version noted in another post is
on the
way at the toll of less than 20 Washingtons. I look forward to it.

Your time was appreciated.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey