Is there a way to remove the copper from a zinc penny??

Old May 12th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Is there a way to remove the copper from a zinc penny??

Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

Old May 12th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

And then sold on e-Bay.

L@@K !!! RARE ERROR COIN!!!

Old May 12th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 11 May 2006 20:33:01 -0700, "The Space Boss"
wrote:

Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

Not sure why you would want to do this. Maybe pure curiosity, like
soaking an egg in vinegar to make it rubbery? LOL
In any case, it might be easier to plate a Cent in zinc than to remove
the copper from it.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html
Old May 12th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

PC wrote:

And then sold on e-Bay.

L@@K !!! RARE ERROR COIN!!!

Oh I HATE it when they do that. AS IF anybody's going to put "L@@K"
into the search engine!!

Old May 12th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

Not sure why you would want to do this. Maybe pure curiosity, like
soaking an egg in vinegar to make it rubbery? LOL
In any case, it might be easier to plate a Cent in zinc than to remove
the copper from it.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

I've heard of someone (not me) putting a 'zincoln' into an oven, with the
result being a tiny puddle of molton zinc around a hollow copper shell.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old May 12th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:01:15 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

Not sure why you would want to do this. Maybe pure curiosity, like
soaking an egg in vinegar to make it rubbery? LOL
In any case, it might be easier to plate a Cent in zinc than to remove
the copper from it.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

I've heard of someone (not me) putting a 'zincoln' into an oven, with the
result being a tiny puddle of molton zinc around a hollow copper shell.

Zinc melts at 787 F. That's mighty hot for an oven, isn't it?
Copper melts at 1984.
Old May 12th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Is there any way to "melt" the copper off of a zinc penny, so that you
just have a regular penny made out of zinc?? I know you can file the
copper off, etc., but I'm talking about removing the copper in such a
way that the coin doesn't look crappy that it looks like a nice coin
that was minted that way??

Not sure why you would want to do this. Maybe pure curiosity, like
soaking an egg in vinegar to make it rubbery? LOL
In any case, it might be easier to plate a Cent in zinc than to remove
the copper from it.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

I've heard of someone (not me) putting a 'zincoln' into an oven, with the
result being a tiny puddle of molton zinc around a hollow copper shell.

Zinc melts at 787 F. That's mighty hot for an oven, isn't it?
Copper melts at 1984.

Not too hot for baking pizzas. Some of pizza ovens, especially some of the
coal and/or wood fired ones, are hot enough to melt lead and will bake a pizza
in less than five minutes.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old May 12th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
ups.com...

PC wrote:

And then sold on e-Bay.

L@@K !!! RARE ERROR COIN!!!

Oh I HATE it when they do that. AS IF anybody's going to put "L@@K"
into the search engine!!

Many do put L@@K into the search engine but it's done to exclude all
auctions that include it. Billy

Old May 12th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 12 May 2006 09:25:54 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

I've heard of someone (not me) putting a 'zincoln' into an oven, with the
result being a tiny puddle of molton zinc around a hollow copper shell.

Zinc melts at 787 F. That's mighty hot for an oven, isn't it?
Copper melts at 1984.

Not too hot for baking pizzas. Some of pizza ovens, especially some of the
coal and/or wood fired ones, are hot enough to melt lead and will bake a pizza
in less than five minutes.

It is an interesting idea. With the melting point of zinc so much
lower than that of copper it sounds feasible. I'd like to see the
resulting hollow cent.
Old May 13th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[Default] On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:09:01 GMT, "note.boy"
climbed to the top of the minaret and
sang out:

PC wrote:

And then sold on e-Bay.

L@@K !!! RARE ERROR COIN!!!

Oh I HATE it when they do that. AS IF anybody's going to put "L@@K"
into the search engine!!

Many do put L@@K into the search engine but it's done to exclude all
auctions that include it. Billy

But if you exlude every one that begins with that, there won't be
anything left...