Noodler's Blue question

Old May 29th 05, 02:50 AM
*david*

Default Noodler's Blue question

Hi everybody

I have a bottle of (according to the label) Noodler's Blue. It's
well-behaved ink, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a mis-labeled
bottle. What I have is very turquoise-y - it reminds me of the old
Sheaffer Peacock Blue. I was expecting to get a more standard blue
shade from an ink just labeled "blue". For reference, it's much greener
and much lighter (I mean it's not as "black" - Noodler's ink is very
intense) than PR Lake Placid or Penman.

Has that been other people's experience as well?

David

Old May 29th 05, 08:18 PM
Bluesea

"*david*" wrote in message
Hi everybody

I have a bottle of (according to the label) Noodler's Blue. It's
well-behaved ink, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a mis-labeled
bottle. What I have is very turquoise-y - it reminds me of the old
Sheaffer Peacock Blue. I was expecting to get a more standard blue
shade from an ink just labeled "blue". For reference, it's much greener
and much lighter (I mean it's not as "black" - Noodler's ink is very
intense) than PR Lake Placid or Penman.

Has that been other people's experience as well?

Yes, mine is a different, usually lighter, shade of blue compared to
Namiki's, Parker's, Pelikan's, rOtring's, Sheaffer's (not lighter in this
case, but still different), or Waterman's; but it's still blue, not
turquoisey at all compared to my Pelikan and Sheaffer turquoises nor my
Daphne Blue from Private Reserve.

I used "Peacock Blue" and remember it as being a fancy name for turquoise
ink.

Color memory has the reputation of being unreliable. Do you have any
turquoise ink on hand? How does a sample of your Noodler's Blue compare when
placed right next to a sample of it? If you don't have turquoise ink, you
could get into Word or whatever is your word processor and type something
with the font colors of blue and turquoise and compare your ink to those.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 30th 05, 03:34 AM
*david*

On 2005-05-29 12:18:08 -0700, "Bluesea" said:

Yes, mine is a different, usually lighter, shade of blue compared to
Namiki's, Parker's, Pelikan's, rOtring's, Sheaffer's (not lighter in this
case, but still different), or Waterman's; but it's still blue, not
turquoisey at all compared to my Pelikan and Sheaffer turquoises nor my
Daphne Blue from Private Reserve.

Good point. I don't think it's *that* light. I just expected an ink
labeled "Blue" to be "just plain blue", and was surprised at what I got.

The same, I suppose, as someone who buys Pelikan red or Waterman black
for the first time.

David

Old May 30th 05, 03:47 AM
KCat

"*david*" wrote in message
The same, I suppose, as someone who buys Pelikan red or Waterman black
for the first time.

David

I know about WM black (that it's really grey) but what about Pelikan red?
I don't think I've ever seen it. What about it makes it not what you would
expect from a red?

That sounds abrupt - but I really just haven't seen it so don't know. I'm
not big on red inks - seems I'm almost always disappointed in them either in
terms of flow or density (too much or too little.) Colors like Noodler's
Saguaro Wine are another matter... ooooo.

Old May 30th 05, 05:01 AM
*david*

KCat said:

what about Pelikan red?
I don't think I've ever seen it. What about it makes it not what you would
expect from a red?

Technically, you couldn't call it anything other than red, but it's so
orange-y that you wish someone had told you.

David

Old May 30th 05, 12:00 PM
john cline ii

"*david*" wrote:

| KCat said:
|
| what about Pelikan red?
| I don't think I've ever seen it. What about it makes it not what
you would
| expect from a red?
|
| Technically, you couldn't call it anything other than red, but it's
so
| orange-y that you wish someone had told you.

Well, she is on the mend! And she LIKES oranges and even orange-ys!

john cline ii, who has been known to noodle for auroras....

Old June 1st 05, 01:56 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:01:28 GMT, *david* wrote:

KCat said:

what about Pelikan red?
I don't think I've ever seen it. What about it makes it not what you would
expect from a red?

Technically, you couldn't call it anything other than red, but it's so
orange-y that you wish someone had told you.

David

No accounting for taste, I suppose. I quit looking for a good red
after I got the Pelikan ink; it comes out on paper looking very red to
my eyes. I've got other reds that look more maroon or washed out, but
the Pel red is what I was looking for -- something that grabs your
attention on the printed page like a red Bic or Flair, depending on
nib width.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old June 1st 05, 05:25 AM
Viseguy

*david* wrote:
I have a bottle of (according to the label) Noodler's Blue. It's
well-behaved ink, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a mis-labeled
bottle. What I have is very turquoise-y - it reminds me of the old
Sheaffer Peacock Blue.

The two Noodler's blues that I have, Ottoman Azure and Navy, are
definitely on the green, rather than the purple, side of blue (blue
being midway between green and purple on the spectrum). From my copy
of Greg Clark's Ink Sampler, the straight Blue seems to be similarly
situated. If you're willing to mix, add some Noodler's La Couleur
Royale or PR Tanzanite to your Blue. That will shade it more toward
"true" blue.

--
Viseguy

Tradelist Joe Cruitt Hockey 0 January 31st 04 04:47 AM
TAKE A L@@K PART II: UP TO 75% OFF OVER 10,000 CARDS Rose Hockey 0 January 25th 04 03:56 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM