Pro-dollar coin editorial

Old August 30th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

Default Pro-dollar coin editorial

Numismaster has an editorial discussing the need to get the dollar coin
into greater circulation:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...&ArticleId=276
9

I wish such an editorial would appear in the mainstream press rather
than an online hobby publication.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old August 30th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 7:27 am, Paul Anderson wrote:
Numismaster has an editorial discussing the need to get the dollar coin
into greater circulation:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...&ArticleId=276
9

I wish such an editorial would appear in the mainstream press rather
than an online hobby publication.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Hewlett-Packard Company

Paul,
I just wanted to point out that the last few characters of your URL
link aren't live. The URL is correct, but clicking on the live portion
loads a blank page on NumisMaster.

Thanks,
Maggie

Old August 30th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 10:35 am, wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:30 am, wrote:

On Aug 30, 7:27 am, Paul Anderson wrote:

Numismaster has an editorial discussing the need to get the dollar coin
into greater circulation:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...&ArticleId=276
9

I wish such an editorial would appear in the mainstream press rather
than an online hobby publication.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Hewlett-Packard Company

Paul,
I just wanted to point out that the last few characters of your URL
link aren't live. The URL is correct, but clicking on the live portion
loads a blank page on NumisMaster.

Thanks,
Maggie

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

I read that article, and today had an encounter with a cashier to
reinforce the
issue. I had paid for a soda with two Kennedy halves and a cent (I
also am
known there for spending dollar coins), and the cashier told me that
they
confuse her, and she ships all of them out to the bank for deposit.
So much
for my attempts to get the halves and dollars into circulation.

The banks, as well as businesses, need to step up their participation,
but the
government should do the right thing and at least suspend dollar bill
production
for a while. The combination might charge up the populace and get the
coins
circulating.

Les
http://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/

Old August 30th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

Using halves actually hurts any attempt to circulate dollar coins. Vending machines and
self-check stands do not accept them, so people are taught to associate coins that they
are not used to with "I cannot spend these".

If you spent nothing but golden dollar coins (Presidential or Sacagawea), people would
possibly get coins they actually can use in everyday life.

Eliminate the half and the cent and the rag dollar.

http://www.sirius.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 31st 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
justicecow

On Aug 30, 3:10 pm, "
wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:35 am, wrote:

On Aug 30, 9:30 am, wrote:

[...]

Leshttp://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

I hate to say this, but cashiers have a hard enough time counting out
change even after their registers tell them how much they have to
give. If many of them didn't have the gizmo to tell them how much,
they'd be lost! I'm not going to dump on the ed system or math
teachers or lousy parenting, but it would seem in our country the
concept of keeping it simple when it comes to math seems to be the
best for everyone involved. Plus it would be mandatory for small
businesses to upgrade to registers that automatically dispense coin
change because no hormone riddled teenager is going to give a hoot
about the finer differenciations of silver coins.

Besides, coins are heavy.

PS..I'm kind of enjoying watching the recent evolution of our paper
money.

Old August 31st 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

" wrote in
oups.com:

the
government should do the right thing and at least suspend dollar bill
production
for a while.

For a while? Should be forever!

Barney
Old August 31st 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 31, 5:15 am, Barney wrote:
" wrote groups.com:

the
government should do the right thing and at least suspend dollar bill
production
for a while.

For a while? Should be forever!

Barney

I agree with you, but Congress could write the bill so that it
would suspend the dollar bill for, say, 5 years, with a provision
that would make it permanent. Thus, they would have to
do more work later to bring it back, and, even better, lots
of them wouldn't theoretically be in that future Congress
when the time comes.

Old August 31st 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 7:28 pm, justicecow wrote:
On Aug 30, 3:10 pm, "
wrote:

On Aug 30, 10:35 am, wrote:

On Aug 30, 9:30 am, wrote:

[...]

My local McDonalds has those, to simplify their lives. Of course,
handing
them 8 Kennedy halves and a small stack of bills counteracts that :-

Besides, coins are heavy.

PS..I'm kind of enjoying watching the recent evolution of our paper
money.

I wonder if anyone has taken high-quality pictures of the various
bills
and animated them through time to show the changes... that would
be cool to watch, and educational as well.

Old August 31st 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:

On Aug 30, 10:35 am, wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Here is an idea that can be used for your kid's school science fair project -
'Just how dirty *IS* your money?'

After reading a bunch of forvm entries in the Wheresgeorge.com website from a
few months ago I decided to try it myself - 'launder' some money in the
bathroom sink. I filled the sink about halfway with warm water and added some
liquid laundry detergent. I then took about 50 average circulated $1 FRNs,
some barely used, others on the verge of falling apart, added them to the
soapy water and sloshed them around for about ten minutes.

When I was done, in the words of Mike Rowe, that water was "DISGUSTING!". It
was a dark greenish black and you could barely see anything in it below the
surface!

:-p~

Once rinsed and dried, the FRNs, OTOH, were nice and crispy and most of them
were in good enough condition, ready for entering, marking and spending in
accordance with the rules of Wheresgeorge.com.

:-)

----------------------------

For the science fair, I would use 100 average circulated $1 FRNs, a large
clear container (a small aquarium would work) and the laundry detergent (NO
BLEACH!) and warm water.

-Lay out the $1 FRNs in a loose pile and get some photo images of them. Also
weigh them all on a precision scale (down to milligrams) - their 'before'
condition. Also get 'before' images of the soapy water (mixed in the
detergent manufacturer's recommended proportions for doing a normal load of
laundry) in the clear container and save a sample of that water in a small jar.

-Add the FRNs to the soapy water and slosh them around by hand or with a clean
stir stick for about 10-15 minutes. Get photo images of this process, too.

-Remove the FRNs from the soapy water and rinse them all several times in a
sink. Lay the FRNs out to dry for a few hours. Save a sample of the 'used'
soapy water in another small jar (again, getting lots of photo images of these
steps).

-When the FRNs are thoroughly dry, weigh them again on the precision scale.
Note the difference in both grams and percentage from their 'before' condition.

-Prepare a documentary writeup of the work, set up the display and get ready
for his/her 'A+'.

:-)

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |