Difference between wet & dry printing?

Old January 16th 04, 06:24 PM

Default Difference between wet & dry printing?

I'm trying to tell the difference between wet and dry printing of some
machins. My Scott cat does not go into this in any depth. Can someone
give me some pointers?

JW
Old January 17th 04, 07:08 PM
Bob Ingraham

1/17/2004 10:28 AM

wrote:
I'm trying to tell the difference between wet and dry printing of some
machins. My Scott cat does not go into this in any depth. Can someone
give me some pointers?

JW

I'm not familiar with this distinction on Machins or any other UK stamps.
The only stamps I know with this distinction are the 1950s era United
States Liberty Series and some contemporaneous issues.

There are also the Canadian Admirals. According to the Unitrade specializaed
catalogue, the Admieral issue, picturing King George V in his admiral's
uniform, was printed from 1911 through 1925, with earlier printings on wet
paper and later ones on dry paper. The wet paper wasn't really wet, just
damp; when it dried, it shrank slightly. Stamps from wet printings are
normally somewhat narrower than the same stamps printed on dry, pre-gummed
paper. These wet/dry printings are part of what makes the Admirals
interesting to collect.

I rather doubt that any Machins were ever printed on wet paper, since
printing technology had evolved beyond the need for that process when they
were first issued in 1967. Of course, I could be wrong. I've been wrong
before! But I am curious that Scott is mentioned. My Scott catalogue
(admittedly old -- 1986) doesn't mention wet printings of any Machins, as
far as I can see.

Some printing processes do seem to be long lived. In 1961, I worked for a
local daily newspaper, and used to hang out with the printer, who used a
huge flat-bed printing press that had been made in 1898. They used that
press for several more years after that, and then sold it to a newspaper in
Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still printing newspapers.

Bob Ingraham

Old January 17th 04, 08:15 PM
Frank Emanuel

wrote in message
I'm trying to tell the difference between wet and dry printing of some
machins. My Scott cat does not go into this in any depth. Can someone
give me some pointers?

You must be referring to the difference betwen Photogravure and Lithography
(I am pretty sure only the large ones were engraved). The secret is to
magnify the straight edges. Lithography is a flat surface printing and the
photogravure consists of little dots that can be seen under magnification.
Endless hours of sorting pleasure in just that.

Frank

Old January 19th 04, 10:00 PM

Your absolutely correct! I must've had Machins on my mind when I
posted the previous message.

JW

I'm trying to tell the difference between wet and dry printing of some
machins. My Scott cat does not go into this in any depth. Can someone
give me some pointers?
=20
JW

I'm not familiar with this distinction on Machins or any other UK
stamps.
The only stamps I know with this distinction are the 1950s era United=20
States Liberty Series and some contemporaneous issues.