Linns and Stamp Scissoring

Old July 8th 03, 04:48 AM
Tracy Barber

Default Linns and Stamp Scissoring

Well, it appears that those who voiced their opinions about
"scissoring" damaged stamps here are not alone.

Linns, in the Reader's Opinions, was bombarded but many like-minded
individuals who pretty much came to the conclusion - "we'll do what we
like with our stamps". This, of course, includes donating damaged
stamps to trhose who want to do more than trash them.

The whole section was about this and rightly so. Methinks Mr.
Schrieber did a faux pas by going about it the way he did.

Yo Dave! We got 'em going! :^P

Tracy Barber
Old July 8th 03, 08:46 AM
Erik

I totally agree Schreiber is not on the money, he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.
Especially the sentence "... is one of the few times we've shown
stamps used other than as God intended" is way out of line.

Philately has nothing to do with religion. And what about Allah and
Budha? He should not have printed that sentence, people can be
offended by it.

Stamps were invented to show the prepayment of a service.
We as philatelists take a liking in collecting the prepayment labels
called postage stamps. This is a hobby !!
Also the rubber stamping is a hobby. Now who are we to say that
philatelists can use the stamps for the hobby, and rubber stampers can
not? Rather arrogant don't you think?

Surely I would not like to see a sheet of the 1 cent 1851 used to
decorate an artwork. So what can we do to minimize the possibility
that this ever would happen?
Educate the rubberstampers in the basics of philately. publish a short
story about our concern in their publications. donate, as Tracy Barber
does, damaged stamps for art use.

And if the rubberstampers use stamps that you might have wanted for
your collection? Try to look at it for what it is, the product of a
person going after his/her hobby.

Erik Mulder

Old July 8th 03, 05:02 PM
A.E. Gelat

"Erik" wrote in message
I totally agree Schreiber is not on the money, he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.
Especially the sentence "... is one of the few times we've shown
stamps used other than as God intended" is way out of line.

Philately has nothing to do with religion. And what about Allah and
Budha? He should not have printed that sentence, people can be
offended by it.

Moslerms are offended by your paragraph. Allah is the Arabic name
for the same God, just like Dieu or Dio, and not a different deity, like
Buddha.

Old July 8th 03, 06:00 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:02:12 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
.. .
I totally agree Schreiber is not on the money, he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.
Especially the sentence "... is one of the few times we've shown
stamps used other than as God intended" is way out of line.

Philately has nothing to do with religion. And what about Allah and
Budha? He should not have printed that sentence, people can be
offended by it.

Moslerms are offended by your paragraph. Allah is the Arabic name
for the same God, just like Dieu or Dio, and not a different deity, like
Buddha.

Moslerms? Uhoh... another fundamentalist group! (Yes, I know it was
a slip of the pudgy paw)

Tracy Barber
Old July 8th 03, 08:37 PM
DBoyd001

It wasn't edited because he IS the editor!
he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.

Dave
Use commemorative stamps on ALL your mail.
Introduce the hobby of collecting stamps to someone.
Above all, enjoy your hobby regardless of what you collect!
Old July 8th 03, 10:50 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:02:12 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
found these unused words floating about:

"Erik" wrote in message
.. .
I totally agree Schreiber is not on the money, he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.
Especially the sentence "... is one of the few times we've shown
stamps used other than as God intended" is way out of line.

Philately has nothing to do with religion. And what about Allah and
Budha? He should not have printed that sentence, people can be
offended by it.

Moslerms are offended by your paragraph. Allah is the Arabic name
for the same God, just like Dieu or Dio, and not a different deity, like
Buddha.

Then if we believe in the same 'god', why are christians 'infidels'?

Old July 9th 03, 12:16 AM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:50:59 -0700, J. A. Mc.
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:02:12 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
found these unused words floating about:

"Erik" wrote in message
. ..
I totally agree Schreiber is not on the money, he even wrote and
published an article that should have been edited.
Especially the sentence "... is one of the few times we've shown
stamps used other than as God intended" is way out of line.

Philately has nothing to do with religion. And what about Allah and
Budha? He should not have printed that sentence, people can be
offended by it.

Moslerms are offended by your paragraph. Allah is the Arabic name
for the same God, just like Dieu or Dio, and not a different deity, like
Buddha.

Then if we believe in the same 'god', why are christians 'infidels'?

Because it sounds good on Al Jezeera...

Tracy Barber
Old July 9th 03, 01:38 AM
DBoyd001

Yo Dave! We got 'em going! :^P

Tracy Barber

I finally received my copy of Linn's today. I did note quite a bit of
editing done to my letter. Did you also notice the dig at the letter about
using stamps framed to hang on walls? We may have them going, but they are
unrepentant.

FYI... to compare, my original letter follows:

Dear Mr. Schreiber,
While you and reader Christine Crawford express dismay and, might I
surmise, disgust at the use of stamps for art and craft projects I take an
opposite or at least contrasting viewpoint.
Stamps may be "sacred" to us as collectors, but they are not to other
people. Stamps are not religious objects and thus can not be "desecrated" as
implied. The statement ending with "... stamps used other than as God
intended" is so narrowminded and just plain weird. I don't recall a single
stamp issued by God or any other deity.
Stamps are a great source of pleasure for people making other crafts and
arts. I have donated my own surplus stamps for others to use in such projects
as have several other contributors in the newsgroup
rec.collecting.stamps.discuss. We don't donate sets of Columbians, Penny
Blacks or any other variety of very collectible stamps. What I have donated to
these craftspeople are the bane of collectors... damaged stamps that have no
place in a collection and the utterly common stamps that make one weep with
their commonality. These stamps are not sellable and just as much untradable.
To not donate them for crafts would doom them to the trash. Those stamps have
a second life to provide pleasure to others who may or may not share this hobby
of collecting stamps. I believe to use them to create something that is
creative, pleasurable and enjoyable is far better than to send those stamps to
the nearest landfill.
Their hobby may not be our's, but there is no need to vilify anyone for
it. I will continue to donate my "trash stamps" to those with other hobbies
that can use them.

Dave Boyd
Greece, NY
Old July 9th 03, 04:03 AM
Bill Sharpe

I have sent a response to Schreiber suggesting that the damaged stamps that
E. Rawolik writes about each week are certainly suitable for uses other than
in albums. And, of course, not even the collecting community agrees with
Schreiber. At the recent January Aripex show they displayed a statue of a
horse that was decorated with stamps.

You can see a picture of the statue at
http://www.nawcc.org/headquarters/news/tucson.htm.

Bill Sharpe

Old July 9th 03, 04:15 AM
J. A. Mc.

On 09 Jul 2003 00:38:03 GMT, unity (DBoyd001) found
these unused words floating about:

Yo Dave! We got 'em going! :^P

Tracy Barber

I finally received my copy of Linn's today. I did note quite a bit of
editing done to my letter. Did you also notice the dig at the letter about
using stamps framed to hang on walls? We may have them going, but they are
unrepentant.

How else would you be able to view a reconstructed set of sheets of
the 1841 2d blues? They're too big for any album - keep 'em in a
stockbook where the beauty is lost?

Just remember ... Linn's was with Apfelbum in agreeing about the
uselessness of stamps on computers "just able to see our collection as
"X's and O's ..." BSEG! (pre windoze graphics via "Picture Power
Database")