Vending group wants to backtrack on dollar coins

Old September 18th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

Default Vending group wants to backtrack on dollar coins

This does not appear to be good news for those who would like to see
more dollar coins circulate.

http://www.amonline.com/web/online/V.../National-Auto
matic-Merchandising-Association-Seeks-To-Revise-Dollar-Coin-Requirement-F
or-Vending-Machines-On-Government-Property/1$19890

I wonder what "working with Congress" means. What would be involved in
changing the details of the Presidential Dollar Coin legislation?

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old September 18th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

Paul Anderson wrote:

This does not appear to be good news for those who would like to see
more dollar coins circulate.

http://www.amonline.com/web/online/V.../National-Auto
matic-Merchandising-Association-Seeks-To-Revise-Dollar-Coin-Requirement-F
or-Vending-Machines-On-Government-Property/1$19890

I wonder what "working with Congress" means. What would be involved in
changing the details of the Presidential Dollar Coin legislation?

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Hewlett-Packard Company

Every vending machine I have used already accepts dollar coins.

JAM
Old September 18th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
Bill Dukenfield wrote:

Every vending machine I have used already accepts dollar coins.

And most machines do indeed take dollar coins. But they're talking
about removing the requirement that the machines _dispense_ dollar coins.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old September 18th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Paul Anderson skribis:

Every vending machine I have used already accepts dollar coins.

And most machines do indeed take dollar coins. But they're talking
about removing the requirement that the machines _dispense_ dollar coins.

But that's a null operation if the machine sells nothing costing over
a dollar, or does not accept $5 bills.

--
Stefano
"A balanced diet is essential: too many Twinkies and not enough Ding-

Old September 18th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

http://tinyurl.com/3aexcn

Perhaps this is a non-issue? The requirement to give change is only a problem if:

1) There is no 4 or more tube changer in the machine.
AND
2) The machine is set up to accept bills with a higher denomination than $1.

Of course, I would be in favor of both of those remaining LAW. Many vendors replace
machines every 3 years. They have had plenty of time to prepare since this law was passed.

Fix the machines. Get with the program. Duh.

-Fred Shecter

http://www.sirius.com/

news

Old September 18th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article . com,
Stefano MacGregor wrote:

But that's a null operation if the machine sells nothing costing over
a dollar, or does not accept $5 bills.

Not exactly. If a machine takes $2 bills, purchasing an item costing
less than $1 could return dollar coin(s) in change. Likewise, if a
machine takes $5 bills, it could return dollar coins unless all items
cost more than $4. And so on.

While most machines made since 1979 can accept dollar coins (even if
some have the inside switch set to the wrong setting) I think a minority
have the ability to dispense dollar coins. Most machines that take
dollar coins drop them into the bucket and have no way of dispensing
them, nor are any dollar coins stored in the tubes.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old September 18th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

How many machines on government property accept $2 bills??????????

Vending machine bill validators can be set to accept any denominations, but most are set
for $1 only.

All mechanism manuals are online in PDF. Google them or go to my handy document as a
starting point (not complete, but it's a start...):

http://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/flipswitch.doc

Old September 18th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
"Fred Shecter" wrote:

How many machines on government property accept $2 bills??????????

Probably not many, but I used it as an example.

I've used $2 bills in machines that claimed on the outside that they
accepted only $1 or $1-5 or $1-5-10 bills only.

Vending machine bill validators can be set to accept any
denominations, but most are set for $1 only.

That makes sense because unless the machine can give dollar coins as
change, putting in a large bill for a small purchase would result in
getting lots of quarters back. (That's happened to me and it's very
annoying.)

So Fred, analogous to some machines not having their "dollar coin
switch" turned on, if a machine does not give dollar coins as change, is
it more likely that there aren't enough tubes, or more likely that the
tube that would be used for dollar coins simply hasn't been stocked with
coins?

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old September 18th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

You can tell if a machine has a dollar coin tube.

Look at a dollar coin in your hand and note it's type (SBA, Saca, specific Prez / date /
mint mark). Insert in machine. If it goes "Clunk" all the way into the bottom bin, then it
either has no dollar tube in the changer or the dollar tube is full. If it does not go
"CLUNK" and it makes the familiar sound of a coin not going very far, it is probably now
in the top of the dollar coin tube.

Hit coin return. If you get 4 quarters in change you know it has no dollar coin tube.

If you get a dollar coin in change, then look at the type and see if it is the same coin
you put in. If not, then there is a dollar coin tube. If so, then maybe the dollar coin
tube was empty until you put in the first dollar coin.

I've seen many Pepsi machines with dollar coin tubes full of coins. Put in Sacky, get out
Susie.

Old September 18th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Paul Anderson wrote:
In article ,
"Fred Shecter" wrote:

[...]

I think it is because the machines don't have the tubes and that not many are
manufactured (except maybe for sale in Canada).

CHICKEN - EGG

sigh...

JUST GET RID OF THOSE %#*&?! RAGS ALREADY!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |