Direction of face on Golden Dollars

Old June 11th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Default Direction of face on Golden Dollars

Ok, this is weird, but here goes...

I remember hearing some years ago that the direction of the person's face
on US coins is "usually" looking one direction or the other. I think it
was the cent that was different or mostly different from the rest.

When I looked at the two newest golden dollars, I noticed that the faces
were pointing in different directions. If this continues throughout the
presidential series, I would expect that faces pointing mostly one way or
another will no longer be such a rare item.

Barney

Old June 11th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

Barney wrote:
Ok, this is weird, but here goes...

I remember hearing some years ago that the direction of the person's face
on US coins is "usually" looking one direction or the other. I think it
was the cent that was different or mostly different from the rest.

When I looked at the two newest golden dollars, I noticed that the faces
were pointing in different directions. If this continues throughout the
presidential series, I would expect that faces pointing mostly one way or
another will no longer be such a rare item.

Barney

The rarest may be the one where he is looking up!
Old June 11th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Barney wrote:
When I looked at the two newest golden dollars, I noticed that the
faces were pointing in different directions. If this continues
throughout the presidential series, I would expect that faces
pointing mostly one way or another will no longer be such a rare
item.

It used to be everything was done in profile. Now, the trend seems to
be to go with "outward" facing portraits - which I very much like. In
addition to the Sacagawea and Presidential dollars, they did this on the
2006-dated nickels.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more and more such portraits whenever
designs are changed.

Sadly, the legislation authorizing the Lincoln Bicentennial Redesign in
2009 mandates the Victor David Brenner obverse design - so we won't see
anything "interesting" there.

--
Jim Seymour
Old June 12th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 11, 4:22 pm, Jim Seymour wrote:
Barney wrote:
[...]

I too was disappointed to learn that the 100 year obverse would remain
the current VDB design. Seemed to me that the 100 year anniversary
would be a great time to update the cent.....but I guess I was
wrong. (

Marty Mitchell
Air-Tites.com, Inc.
www.air-tites.com

Old June 12th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

I was hoping to see Abe waving goodbye. As in "no more Zincolns" after this.

http://www.sirius.com/

ups.com...

Old June 12th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Squat

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in message
Barney wrote:
Ok, this is weird, but here goes...

I remember hearing some years ago that the direction of the person's face
on US coins is "usually" looking one direction or the other. I think it
was the cent that was different or mostly different from the rest. When
I looked at the two newest golden dollars, I noticed that the faces were
pointing in different directions. If this continues throughout the
presidential series, I would expect that faces pointing mostly one way or
another will no longer be such a rare item. Barney

The rarest may be the one where he is looking up!

Clintons will be smilling and looking down... at the back of Monica's head.

(Sorry, I could not resist...)

Old June 13th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Interestingly enough, the coins of Great Britain (and British Empire)
have the profiles change direction with each new monarch, ever since
the Restoration of Charles II. There was to be an exception in the
case of Edward VII who liked his portrait facing left. The designs for
the proposed coins in the BRM collection verify this. Edward VII name
appears on a number of coins, but not his portrait, as he had
abdicated the throne before any were issued.

Old June 13th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Profile views wear gracefully...the image eventually becomes a
silhouette

-------------------------
Frank Provasek Rare Coins
www.frankcoins.com http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfrankcoins
Member ANA, Texas Numismatic Assoc, Texas Coin Dealers Assoc
Licensed Auctioneer

Old June 13th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Jud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Interestingly enough, the coins of Great Britain (and British Empire)
have the profiles change direction with each new monarch, ever since
the Restoration of Charles II. There was to be an exception in the
case of Edward VII who liked his portrait facing left. The designs for
the proposed coins in the BRM collection verify this. Edward VII name
appears on a number of coins, but not his portrait, as he had
abdicated the throne before any were issued.

He wanted this as he believed this to be his better side, what a vain fool.

I dread to think how things would have turned out if that waste of space had
been King at the outbreak of WWII.

If he had not been who he was he would have been tried for treason, he was
shipped off to the Bahamas where he could do no more harm.

He probably had the most useless life ever.

"The Proposed Coinage of Edward VIII" was published about 30 years ago and
it contains many illustrations of how his UK coinage would have looked.
Billy