Digital Bullet Bit....and the winner is.....

Old January 2nd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default Digital Bullet Bit....and the winner is.....

It certainly wasn't the Panasonic Lumix I was so excited about in my
first post.

After reading dozens and dozens and dozens of reviews I narrowed the
field to about 7 or 8 candidates. Leading the list was the Sony
DSC-S500 which I was sure would be the winner...it wasn't. That
particular camera bit the dust as did several others after reading a
significant quantity of user reviews.

Eventually two cameras were left standing....the 6 megapixel Canon
PowerShot A540 and the 7 megapixel Pentax Optio M20. As much as it
pains this Nikon fan to say it....the Canon won.

Even though the Pentax (my first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic II) had a
slighly higher pixel count and was a few bucks cheaper, the Canon had
more features that mattered (or appeared to matter) to me. It had a 4X
zoom as opposed to the 3X of the Pentax, had a larger maximum aperture,
offered more manual control and had an optical viewfinder which the
Pentax lacked. It also offered the choice of images at a 16:9 aspect
ratio which should look good on my 19" widescreen monitor.

I picked it up at CompUSA this afternoon for $175 ($25 off the regular
price) plus the requisite 6% Connecticut sales tax.

Now I didn't really buy this camera to shoot coins (I'd rather do that
with my 35mm macro setup), but I'm sure the camera is certainly capable
of doing a creditable job. I'm also sure I'll give it a try after
taking a couple of days to learn all of the features of this new
toy....and I'll post links to the results.

Old January 2nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I picked it up at CompUSA this afternoon for $175 ($25 off the regular
price) plus the requisite 6% Connecticut sales tax.

Now I didn't really buy this camera to shoot coins (I'd rather do that
with my 35mm macro setup), but I'm sure the camera is certainly capable
of doing a creditable job. I'm also sure I'll give it a try after
taking a couple of days to learn all of the features of this new
toy....and I'll post links to the results.

Ahhh - shopping for therapy.
Fells good, don't it!

I'm sure it'll keep you happy, Phil.

When you post the test shots, can you please make sure to include some
low-light examples.
(Noise is not my friend)

Hooroo

--
Jeff R.

Old January 3rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Jan 2, 6:55*pm, "Jeff R." wrote:

When you post the test shots, can you please make sure to include some
low-light examples.
(Noise is not my friend)

The final nail in the coffin for the Lumix was advice offered in a user
review at CircuitCity.com:

"Set the thing at ISO 100 and fire away"

Old January 3rd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
ups.com...

The final nail in the coffin for the Lumix was advice offered in a user
review at CircuitCity.com:

"Set the thing at ISO 100 and fire away"

Sighhhh.
Sad but true.

--
Jeff R.

Old January 3rd 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

[...]

My first SLR was a K-1000. I still have a fondness for Pentax and thought
if I could get
the digital I chose instead of what I can afford :-) it would be a Pentax of
some sort.
Anyway looking forward to seeing the test shots!
Dale

Old January 3rd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

Even though the Pentax (my first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic II)

My first SLR was a Pentax SP500 that I bought about 1970....

Of course I was a small child when I bought it....

Old January 3rd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
link.net...
Even though the Pentax (my first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic II)

My first SLR was a Pentax SP500 that I bought about 1970....

Of course I was a small child when I bought it....

Gosh, mine was a used Petri Penta I bought in 1959 for a photography course
I was taking in college. It was a handy replacement for the 30-pound
Calumet bellows camera and case we had to master first. Fortunately, the
flash powder era had ended..........

Bruce

Old January 3rd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MK

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in message

[...]

Ah the K-1000, made me think I was a good photographer at one
time.............

mk

Old January 3rd 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
link.net...
Even though the Pentax (my first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic II)

My first SLR was a Pentax SP500 that I bought about 1970....

Of course I was a small child when I bought it....

My first SLR was a Pentax ME super. Billy

Old January 3rd 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

I have my dad's Ilford Sportsman camera, from the 1960's I think. I used it
in Greece in 1979, separate exposure meter, happy days.

I also have a very nice mahogany half plate camera. Billy

news