ANA Governors

Old April 3rd 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default ANA Governors

After the recent point-counterpoint in Numismatic News and then David
Harper's editorial I am still left wondering just what is going on.
But even more than that, I wonder what should be going on?

The ANA has many great staff members and some wonderful services.
There are a lot of great people in the coin field. Granted there are
malcontents, cheats, and grumpy old men, but most of the hobby is
quite fun and the people are happy.

So where do things go wrong? Is there just too much focus on money? I
know you need to make some money to serve the education goals, but
there just seems to be something off with the way things have gone
over the past few years.

Is it too naive to think that a hobby organization could be more fun
and less business?
Old April 3rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Is it too naive to think that a hobby organization could be more fun
and less business?

I think business considerations will always come first over pure hobby
concerns. The ANA needs money
to survive and has to please the dealers who support the organization
through donations and especially by taking
tables at the two annual conventions.

Could the ANA survive without dealer
table fees and the convention auction
rights? I would guess they would be
a shadow of themselves without it.

There should be a balance overall and
I think they are trying to do that with the
monthly magazine but business interests will always be extremely
important to the ANA.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 2 Apr 2006 18:17:29 -0700, "stonej"
stated:

Is it too naive to think that a hobby organization could be more fun
and less business?

I think business considerations will always come first over pure hobby
concerns. The ANA needs money
to survive and has to please the dealers who support the organization
through donations and especially by taking
tables at the two annual conventions.

Could the ANA survive without dealer
table fees and the convention auction
rights? I would guess they would be
a shadow of themselves without it.

There should be a balance overall and
I think they are trying to do that with the
monthly magazine but business interests will always be extremely
important to the ANA.

What are the major money decisions the governors make each year?
There's the endowment, which generates $xx.
What are the other major sources? Contributions, Dues, Auction
Rights, Naming Rights? Is all that spelled out in the annual
statements.

I'm just trying to get my mind around what the leadership actually
does, and if it is really that important. I need an ANA business 101
class
Old April 3rd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jorge Lueke for Governor! At least he knows that he doesn't know, and
isn't afraid to admit it.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

OOOPS! Sorry for inadvertantly changing your ethnicity by adding the
"e" to the end of your name. But then again, you should probably add
the "e" to fit in your new environs! 8-)

Old April 3rd 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 2 Apr 2006 20:26:50 -0700, "Jud" stated:

OOOPS! Sorry for inadvertantly changing your ethnicity by adding the
"e" to the end of your name. But then again, you should probably add
the "e" to fit in your new environs! 8-)

That happens so often by both humans and computers I'm completely used
to it by now.
Old April 3rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 2 Apr 2006 20:24:49 -0700, "Jud" stated:

Jorge Lueke for Governor! At least he knows that he doesn't know, and
isn't afraid to admit it.

Hah, I'd last less time than the previous new governor.

Work + Politics + BS = Angry Jorg :P
Old April 3rd 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

What are the major money decisions the governors make each year?

I would guess balancing the budget is upfront and center.

There's the endowment, which generates $xx.
What are the other major sources? Contributions, Dues, Auction
Rights, Naming Rights? Is all that spelled out in the annual
statements.

Endowment, dues, auction rights, brouse table fees and contributions
are probably
the main source of revenue. Naming rights are going to be limited and
sporatic unless
they get creative and start selling sidewalk bricks with your name on
them for a
contribution.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jorg Lueke wrote:

After the recent point-counterpoint in Numismatic News and then David
Harper's editorial I am still left wondering just what is going on.
But even more than that, I wonder what should be going on?

The ANA has many great staff members and some wonderful services.
There are a lot of great people in the coin field. Granted there are
malcontents, cheats, and grumpy old men, but most of the hobby is
quite fun and the people are happy.

So where do things go wrong? Is there just too much focus on money? I
know you need to make some money to serve the education goals, but
there just seems to be something off with the way things have gone
over the past few years.

Is it too naive to think that a hobby organization could be more fun
and less business?

The hobby versus industry conundrum Mr. Bowers speaks of fromo time to
time.

--

JMark

X11 [R6?]
Old April 3rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jorg Lueke wrote:

After the recent point-counterpoint in Numismatic News and then David
Harper's editorial I am still left wondering just what is going on.
But even more than that, I wonder what should be going on?

The ANA has many great staff members and some wonderful services.
There are a lot of great people in the coin field. Granted there are
malcontents, cheats, and grumpy old men, but most of the hobby is
quite fun and the people are happy.

So where do things go wrong? Is there just too much focus on money? I
know you need to make some money to serve the education goals, but
there just seems to be something off with the way things have gone
over the past few years.

Is it too naive to think that a hobby organization could be more fun
and less business?

Maybe start at the top and work your way down.

I don't like much of what has gone on at the ANA since Christopher
Cipoletti was appointed Executive Director.

JAM