1882 British Sovereign

Old November 3rd 04, 07:32 AM
Erik Petersen

Default 1882 British Sovereign

I bought an 1882M British Sovereign (Victoria, young head) the other day and
when I got home I was surprised to find that the obverse/reverse rotation
was the same as US coins. Now, every British, Canadian, and Australian coin
that I have ever seen were medallion rotation, the opposite of US coins. In
an effort to validate that the US rotation is correct for the 1882M
Sovereign, I googled the Internet and I went to the library and checked the
Krause world coins catalog from 1801-1900 and I cannot find any reference
indicating the obverse/reverse rotation for this coin. Can anyone confirm
that this rotation is correct for the Victorian, young head sovereigns?

Thanks,

Erik Petersen

Old November 3rd 04, 10:27 AM
Jeff R.

"Erik Petersen" wrote in message
I bought an 1882M British Sovereign (Victoria, young head) the other day and
when I got home I was surprised to find that the obverse/reverse rotation
was the same as US coins. Now, every British, Canadian, and Australian coin
that I have ever seen were medallion rotation, the opposite of US coins. In
an effort to validate that the US rotation is correct for the 1882M
Sovereign, I googled the Internet and I went to the library and checked the
Krause world coins catalog from 1801-1900 and I cannot find any reference
indicating the obverse/reverse rotation for this coin. Can anyone confirm
that this rotation is correct for the Victorian, young head sovereigns?

Thanks,

Erik Petersen

Erik...
All my Vicky sovereigns (M&S mints) are medallic rotation.
-BUT-
My 2004 Spinks indicates that rotation was "coin" (US) until 1887, when it
changed to medallic. (My sovs are post 1887)

Spinks ref is ISBN 1 902040 56 2 "Coins of England and UK" Spink 2004, page
410

Rotoation changed with the change from young head to jubilee.
Maybe someone else can shed light on reasons.

--
Jeff R.