FAQ for posting here (Only read if new!)

Old August 4th 03, 04:52 AM
Jeff Jacob

Default FAQ for posting here (Only read if new!)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Cards in general can be
found he
http://www.collector-link.com/cards/faq.shtml

Last Updated: late '96
This FAQ is for posting rules for the groups rec.collecting.
sport.* (baseball, football, basketball, hockey, misc), rec.collecting.
cards.discuss, and
rec.collecting.cards.non-sports. It is also available
on the WWWeb at: http://www.collector-link.com/cards/posting.shtml

All followups to this message should be posted in
rec.collecting. cards.discuss ; this message is crossposted, although
almost *no* other kinds of messages should be crossposted (see details
below).

The groups this FAQ relates to a
rec.collecting.sport.baseball
rec.collecting.sport.football
rec.collecting.sport.basketball
rec.collecting.sport.hockey
rec.collecting.sport.misc
rec.collecting.cards.non-sports
rec.collecting.cards.discuss

A quick summary of the rules is as follows:
- NO more than 3 posts per day per newsgroup may be made in any of
the marketplace groups. If you can help out fellow collectors in the
discuss group, by offering NON buying/selling/trading information, you
may post as many times as you want. Posting more than three times in a
day applies *only* in the discuss group.

- There is to be no marketplace activity in the discuss group. This
group is solely for the discussion of cards (sports and non-sports),
questions on cards, etc. However, questions like "I have an OJ
Simpson card I'm looking to sell - what's it worth?" or variants on that
theme are *not* allowed. Take marketplace material to the other groups.

- There is to be no crossposting of messages between groups. If you
have some baseball cards and football cards, they are to be two distinct
messages. The baseball group will contain a message with ONLY baseball
cards in it, the football group will contain a message with ONLY
football cards.

- Auctions, in any group, are to be limited to one post per day. - The
rec.collecting.sport.misc group is only for sports NOT covered in
their own group. In this case, it refers to any sport which is not
baseball, football, basketball or hockey.

More indepth answers:

- What do I do if I see someone violating the rules of the group?
Send that person a note, saying "You're violating the rules of this
group" and enclose the pertinent part (ie., if they post 3 times). I've
included examples of it at the end.
Usually, the person will apologize and not make the same mistake
again. Multiple violations can lead to suspension of the account by
that person's system administrator; violations to Usenet news rules are
not looked upon kindly by most administrators.

- This idiot was swearing, posted the same message 7 times with no
coherent subject header, and acting like a moron. What do I do? Send
the accompanying article to operator@ (his site) and postmaster@ (his
site) immediately.

- Why is there a limit of three posts per day per newsgroup? Lots
of people read the Usenet groups. When one or two individuals start
posting tons of ads, *everyone's* messages get lost in the shuffle.
There are a number of people who don't read the newsgroup on a daily
basis. Posts may get missed because of the sheer volume of posts, in a
particular newsgroup.
So, what's the solution? Don't post more than a couple messages a
day. COMBINE posts - users don't need to see a post for "1991 Ken
Griffey Rare card" and "1992 Ken Griffey Super Rare card" in two
separate posts.
Remember that with less postings, *your* message is more likely to be
read - and a trade, buy or sell is consequently more likely to occur.
And observe the etiquette of the users of the group.

- I've got some baseball and hockey cards. What do I do? I want to
sell them all at once and don't have time to break them up.

In order: Break them up, and tough. The rules are there to prevent
the fly-by-nighters from ruining things for all of us. Additionally,
many of the baseball card collectors don't collect hockey, and
vice-versa. It's not fair to *their* time to put extra things in
there. Remember: the group isn't designed to suit one individual's
needs, but the majority's wishes.

The one exception to this rule is if there is a card, which features
athletes from multiple sports. However, a Bo Jackson card from a
football set can NOT be posted in the baseball group, or vice-versa.

- Why can I only post my auction once a day? My cards are the best
and I want to get top dollar for them.

See the three times a day message above, and you'll understand. A
private auction, with each "bidder" being sent an e-mail message via a
mailing list, is the best way to run these.

Barring that option, seeing an auction updated more than once a day
can get on people's nerves.

from the associated press Nobody Books 0 November 28th 04 11:38 PM
Shirley Jones- WARNING. Please read and advise Bcoton Autographs 20 May 7th 04 06:54 AM
Read the story of LUS, Italian penmaker and innovator. Giovanni Abrate Pens & Pencils 0 April 21st 04 09:24 PM
Slighty OT - What to read next? Tom L-M Books 18 January 20th 04 06:29 PM
an actors email to me and important for all to read dahoov2 Autographs 9 October 30th 03 09:59 PM