2nd Req - Check AY160 Cartridge

Old August 12th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Alan

Default 2nd Req - Check AY160 Cartridge

I don't get any sound from my AY160. The resistance on the cartridge
wires are correct at the point where they plug into the amp.

I tried connecting the cartridge wires to my stereo PHONO input, and
could hear nothing, even at full volume.

Is there another way to check the cartridge?

I believe it is the original cartridge in the AY, and it used to work,
then I
lost 1 channel, then the other. I recapped the amp - but no sound.

TIA

alan

Old August 13th 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Record Hound

Hello Alan -

Here's a few ideas -

First, I would make sure the jukebox amp works. Just play a record and
put a pin or paperclip or something into the 3-pin socket to see if you
get a VERY loud hum. Assuming it IS working, and the resistance is
correct (what are you reading and where?) - and assuming that rubbing
your finger lightly over the needle produces no sound, it would almost
have to be a bad cartridge. Especially if you say one channel went
out, then the other.

I would say check the muting, but even with an external amp you get no
sound.

Take the same pin and touch it to the terminals on the cartridge
socket. If you get a hum, it almost has to be the cartridge. They
aren't that expensive anyway. The T needles, OTOH, are getting a bit
pricey.

Hope this helps. AY160 is a great box, it was my first and is still my
favorite. Mine has the mono amp though.

*jukebox jimmy

*****************

Old August 14th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Alan

Thanks Jimmy,

I forgot about the hum test... used to do that all the time when I was
young
(by accident), I will try it out shortly.

Do you have a source (and model #) of cartridge replacements? I can't
find
it in my manuals (I know its in there somewhere though)

--alan

Old August 18th 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Record Hound

Alan -

Gee, I have the manual here SOMEWHERE...hmm..

but if you want another cartridge, you just need the Seeburg Stereo
Redhead. Which does not mean that it IS red, tho most are, I have one
here in my goodie box that is gray. You can find them on ebay from
time to time, or do what I have done - get a whole tone arm assembly or
even a mechanism and take parts off it. Either way, it's dollars to
donuts that's your problem.

*jukebox jimmy AKA Recordhound and BOY do I have records!

"Check 21" Scaupaug1 Pens & Pencils 1 December 4th 04 04:08 AM
$5,000 Rookie Card Auction ENDS TONIGHT Jonathan Banks Baseball 0 October 23rd 03 04:58 PM
HOTLIST ROOKIE AUCTION - Harden, Griffey UD, Sosa Leaf, Pujols, Soriano & MORE!! Jonathan Banks Baseball 0 October 22nd 03 05:00 PM
HUGE BASEBALL ROOKIE AUCTION - Pujols, Yaz, Bonds, Ripken - $5,000 in CARDS Jonathan Banks Baseball 0 October 22nd 03 04:56 PM
FS: KEN GRIFFEY cards MOYASI333 Baseball 0 August 11th 03 02:51 AM