Question for New York Collectors

Old March 16th 04, 04:40 PM
Kris

Default Question for New York Collectors

Hey All-

I just spent a week up in NYC, and it was such an incredible place.
Can't wait to get back up there sometime soon. One of the really cool
things about the trip was running into celebrities just walking down
the street. I passed Sarah McLachlan, Hildi from Trading Spaces, Stone
Cold Steve Austin and Sgt. Slaughter just walking around town(and that
was without really even looking for them). I didn't stop to ask for
autographs (most of them were on cell phones the whole time I saw
them), but I was wondering how well celebrities react when collectors
approach them on the street. Anyone in NY or LA have an overall rule
of thumb?

Thanks,

Kris
Old March 17th 04, 04:29 AM
Bcoton

Here's my rule. If they are there for publicity (interviews at talk
shows/premieres etc) then its appropriate to ask them for an autograph because
they are in a public forum. So outside B'way or outside Letterman, sure.

If it is a private affair-- with family/dining/shopping than I respect their
privacy. If it appears no one is noticing them and I really am a huge fan than
I will usually say something like, "hi, I don't mean to bother you but I just
wanted you to know how much I enjoy your work." The point is to be brief and
complementary- NOT to ask for an autograph.

If the star seems uncomfortable or annoyed, I walk away. Usually, they are
quite polite as long as I am not drawing to much attention to them. I'll
usually say that I would love an autograph but am happy just with this time if
they are too busy. I've never had anyone say no, using this tact. Tom Hanks,
though, asked if we could just shake hands since he didn't want to draw
attention to himself. Which was fine, the key is not to push and to stay
within their comfort zone.

My advice is to learn body language-- there are some people you should never
approach. Respect family, celebs are rightly protectful of their children.
And don't ask for an autograph right away-- its counterproductive. Believe it
or not, I have had great success this way.