Sierra Leone ~for the rail enthusiast.

Old September 24th 09, 10:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ian Cox

Default Sierra Leone ~for the rail enthusiast.

On Sep 23, 8:52*pm, Blair wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:04*am, wrote:

Rodney

The postcard refers to British Railways ( ex-LMS ) "Jubilee" class
4-6-0 no 45627 Sierra Leone ( class built from 1934 onwards ).

Giving my age away, I remember as a teenager seeing these locomotives
in revenue service on the Liverpool-Newcastle expresses near my home
in Yorkshire.

The first locomotive was named "Silver Jubilee" to commemorate the
event ( in 1935 ) and the following few were named after Colonies and
Dominions until the names ran out, famous Naval Officers, battles and
warships followed.

FYI

45563 Australia
45564 New South Wales
45565 Victoria
45566 Queensland
45567 South Australia
45568 Western Australia
45569 Tasmania

Full of useless information aren't I ?

Malcolm

Malcolm:

What do you mean useless information?
Wash your mouth out with soap.

Here is her smoke box number platehttp://www.railwayanapage.com/images/45627.jpg

Built at London Midland & Scottish Railway's
Crewe Works in 1934 (Lot 112).

/* PEDANT mode on
Number * *Name
*45552 * *Silver Jubilee
*45553 * *Canada
*45554 * *Ontario
*45555 * *Quebec
*45556 * *Nova Scotia
*45557 * *New Brunswick
*45558 * *Manitoba
*45559 * *British Columbia
*45560 * *Prince Edward Island
*45561 * *Saskatchewan
*45562 * *Alberta
*45563 * *Australia
*45564 * *New South Wales
*45565 * *Victoria
*45566 * *Queensland
*45567 * *South Australia
*45568 * *Western Australia
*45569 * *Tasmania
*45570 * *New Zealand
*45571 * *South Africa
*45572 * *Eire * * * * * * * * *previously named Irish Free State
*45573 * *Newfoundland
*45574 * *India
*45575 * *Madras
*45576 * *Bombay
*45577 * *Bengal
*45578 * *United Provinces
*45579 * *Punjab
*45580 * *Burma
*45581 * *Bihar and Orissa
*45582 * *Central Provinces
*45583 * *Assam
*45584 * *North West Frontier
*45585 * *Hyderabad
*45586 * *Mysore
*45587 * *Baroda
*45588 * *Kashmir
*45589 * *Gwalior
*45590 * *Travercore
*45591 * *Udaipur
*45592 * *Indore
*45593 * *Kolhapur
*45594 * *Bhopal
*45595 * *Southern Rhodesia
*45596 * *Bahamas
*45597 * *Barbados
*45598 * *Basutoland
*45599 * *Bechuanaland
*45600 * *Bermuda
*45601 * *British Guiana
*45602 * *British Honduras
*45603 * *Solomon Islands
*45604 * *Ceylon
*45605 * *Cyprus
*45606 * *Falkland Islands
*45607 * *Fiji
*45608 * *Gibraltar
*45609 * *Gilbert and Ellis Islands
*45610 * *Ghana * * * * * * * * previously named Gold Coast
*45611 * *Hong Kong
*45612 * *Jamaica
*45613 * *Kenya
*45614 * *Leeward Islands
*45615 * *Malay States
*45616 * *Malta G.C. * * * * * *previously named Malta
*45617 * *Mauritius
*45618 * *New Hebrides
*45619 * *Nigeria
*45620 * *North Borneo
*45621 * *Northern Rhodesia
*45622 * *Nyasaland
*45623 * *Palestine
*45624 * *St. Helena
*45625 * *Sarawak
*45626 * *Seychelles
*45627 * *Sierra Leone
*45628 * *Somaliland
*45629 * *Straits Settlements
*45630 * *Swaziland
*45631 * *Tanganyika
*45632 * *Tonga
*45633 * *Aden * * * * * * * * *previously named Trans-Jordan
*45634 * *Trinidad
*45635 * *Tobago
*45636 * *Uganda
*45637 * *Windward Islands
*45638 * *Zanzibar
*45639 * *Raleigh
*45640 * *Frobisher
*45641 * *Sandwich
*45642 * *Boscawen
*45643 * *Rodney
*45644 * *Howe
*45645 * *Collingwood
*45646 * *Napier
*45647 * *Sturdee
*45648 * *Wemyss
*45649 * *Hawkins
*45650 * *Blake
*45651 * *Shovell
*45652 * *Hawke
*45653 * *Barham
*45654 * *Hood
*45655 * *Keith
*45656 * *Cochrane
*45657 * *Tyrwhitt
*45658 * *Keyes
*45659 * *Drake
*45660 * *Rooke
*45661 * *Vernon
*45662 * *Kempenfelt
*45663 * *Jervis
*45664 * *Nelson
*45665 * *Lord Rutherford of Nelson
*45666 * *Cornwallis
*45667 * *Jellicoe
*45668 * *Madden
*45669 * *Fisher
*45670 * *Howard of Effingham
*45671 * *Prince Rupert
*45672 * *Anson
*45673 * *Keppel
*45674 * *Duncan
*45675 * *Hardy
*45676 * *Codrington
*45677 * *Beatty
*45678 * *De Robeck
*45679 * *Armada
*45680 * *Camperdown
*45681 * *Aboukir
*45682 * *Trafalgar
*45683 * *Hogue
*45684 * *Jutland
*45685 * *Barfleur
*45686 * *St. Vincent
*45687 * *Neptune
*45688 * *Polyphemus
*45689 * *Ajax
*45690 * *Leander
*45691 * *Orion
*45692 * *Cyclops
*45693 * *Agamemnon
*45694 * *Bellerophon
*45695 * *Minotaur
*45696 * *Arethusa
*45697 * *Achillies
*45698 * *Mars
*45699 * *Galatea
*45700 * *Amethyst * * * * * * *Previously named Britannia
*45701 * *Conqueror
*45702 * *Colossus
*45703 * *Thunderer
*45704 * *Leviathan
*45705 * *Seahorse
*45706 * *Express
*45707 * *Valiant
*45708 * *Resolution
*45709 * *Implacable
*45710 * *Irresistible
*45711 * *Courageous
*45712 * *Victory
*45713 * *Renown
*45714 * *Revenge
*45715 * *Invincible
*45716 * *Swiftsure
*45717 * *Dauntless
*45718 * *Dreadnought
*45719 * *Glorious
*45720 * *Indomitable
*45721 * *Impregnable
*45722 * *Defence
*45723 * *Fearless
*45724 * *Warspite
*45725 * *Repulse
*45726 * *Vindictive
*45727 * *Inflexible
*45728 * *Defiance
*45729 * *Furious
*45730 * *Ocean
*45731 * *Persevereance
*45732 * *Sanspareil
*45733 * *Novelty
*45734 * *Meteor
*45735 * *Comet
*45736 * *Phoenix
*45737 * *Atlas
*45738 * *Samson
*45739 * *Ulster
*45740 * *Munster
*45741 * *Leinster
*45742 * *Connaught

*PEDANT mode off*/

Jubilee class 45627 'Sierra Leone' heads south near Lancaster on
September 14th 1964.http://www.derbysulzers.com/45627lancaster64.jpg

Blair

Just to show how sad and lonely some of us are, 45637 Windward Isles
was scrapped in 1952 as it was involved in the Harrow & Wealstone
Disaster in 1952. I remember it well as we had travelled from Euston
to Crewew on the previous evening.

Ian
Old September 24th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Sep 24, 5:42*am, Ian Cox wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:52*pm, Blair wrote:

On Sep 23, 10:04*am, wrote:

[...]

If I remember correctly 45637 was the first of the jubilee class to
be
withdrawn from service.
http://www.jubilees.co.uk/images/photos/45637a.jpg

(I guess one cannot say "retired", in the case of an accident.)

http://en.allexperts.com/e/h/ha/harr...rail_crash.htm

It was almost a decade afterward that the Jubilees
began to be withdrawn.

Blair

Old September 24th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Sep 23, 11:05*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
Hah!
don't you even suggest that Blair, you Heliogabalus!
Forsooth, 'tis Travancore alone, that hath won my passion,
bucolic, yes, but unlike the soporific rail roadies, at least hath
some semblance of a beginning and an end.

Here, take this "railroad" and begone with youhttp://cjoint.com/data/jye3ANHKU3.htm

And what, pray tell is a railroad, Sir Rodney?
Here in the Great White North, we have railways,
as in all civilized countries.

http://images.thetenoclockshow.co.uk/9096/DSCF0001.JPG
http://alphabetilately.com/TOC/oz-echuca.jpg

Old September 24th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Ooops, methinks I made a gross error
with the "railways" gang?
I was attempting to have a more global connotation,
I arrived in Australia with the term "Lorry" and soon dispensed
with that, in preference to "Truck"
Real men in blue singlets drive "Trucks"
I'll be cognisant, in future on this NG to refer to
the appropriate issues as "Railways"

"Civilised countries"? evidently you haven't visited Australia of late,
pensioners bashed, car jackings, Indian students targeted,
My own Prime Minister using the "F" word.
I am no longer quick to puff out my chest when declaring my Country.

"Blair"