The most Valueable Penny

Old August 31st 03, 07:53 PM
ADM

Default The most Valueable Penny

You always hear the usual stories of pennies on the
sidewalk being good
luck, gifts from angels, etc. This is the first time
I've ever heard this
twist on the story. Gives you something to think
about.
Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband
were invited to spend
the weekend at the husband's employer's home. My
friend, Arlene, was nervous
about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a
fine home on the
waterway, and cars costing more than her house.

The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was
delighted to have this
rare glimpse into how the very wealthy live. The
husband's employer was
quite generous as a host, and took them to the
finest restaurants. Arlene
knew she would never have the opportunity to indulge
in this kind of
extravagance again, so was enjoying herself
immensely.

As the three of them were about to enter an
exclusive restaurant that
evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of
Arlene and her husband. He
stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a
long, silent moment.

Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him.
There was nothing on the
ground except a single darkened penny that someone
had dropped, and a few
cigarette butts. Still silent, the man reached down
and picked up the penny.

He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket
as if he had found a
great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man
have for a single penny?
Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it
up?

Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her.
Finally, she could stand
it no longer. She causally mentioned that her
daughter once had a coin
collection, and asked if the penny he had found had
been of some value.

A smile crept across the man's face as he reached
into his pocket for the
penny and held it out for her to see. She had seen
many pennies before! What
was the point of this?

"Look at it." He said. "Read what it says." She read
the words "United
States of America."

"No, not that; read further."

"One cent?" "No, keep reading."

"In God we Trust?" "Yes!" "And?"

"And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy,
even on a coin. Whenever I
find a coin I see that inscription. It is written on
every single United
States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God
drops a message right in
front of me telling me to trust Him? Who am I to
pass it by? When I see a
coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at
that moment. I pick the
coin up as a response to God; that I do trust in
Him. For a short time, at
least, I cherish it as if it were gold. I think it
is God's way of starting
a conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient
and pennies are
plentiful!

When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on
the sidewalk. I stopped
and picked it up, and realized that I had been
worrying and fretting in my
mind about things I cannot change. I read the words,
"In God We Trust," and
had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message.

It seems that I have been finding an inordinate
number of pennies in the
last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful!

And, God is patient...

Have a blessed day!!

The best mathematical equation I have ever seen:

1 cross
3 nails
--------
4 given

Old August 31st 03, 09:31 PM
ELurio

Nah. The most valuable penny is a steel 1944D

eric l.
Old August 31st 03, 09:50 PM
Jeff Webb

What about the 1943 copper?

Old September 1st 03, 01:56 AM
Bob Flaminio

Jeff Webb wrote:
"ELurio" wrote in message
Nah. The most valuable penny is a steel 1944D

What about the 1943 copper?

1974 Aluminum?

c.f. this thread at PCGS:
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=217497

--
Bob

Old September 1st 03, 03:14 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:53:50 GMT, "ADM"
wrote:

God
drops a message right in
front of me telling me to trust Him?

The guy who started this thread, about how we need to trust in God and
listen to him and all this, just sent me email. I won't republish the
entire message, just the last two sentences: "Those who have attempted
to discredit God have only hindered this great nation. Their
contributions have been petty and cancerous, while those who have
proclaimed God have done great things."

Following this logic, in the name of God what we need to do is get rid
of the cancer of nonbelievers. This is what fundamentalist countries
do. Anybody who doesn't believe in God, or more precisely your concept
of God since there are many different concepts, from Christ and Yahweh
to Allah and Brahman, should be eliminated like a cancer that's
metastasizing throughout your body. Then America would truly be great.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old September 1st 03, 03:18 PM
Darren

wrote:

I read the words,
"In God We Trust," and
had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message.

There are many people who do not believe in God, and many more who
believe in the separation of church and state, that the U.S.
government isn't in the business of promoting God or religion, that
this should be the province of churches, synagogues, mosques, and so
on, and that the motto "In God We Trust" does not belong on U.S. coins
or currency -- for the same reason that many support the recent
removal of the Ten Commandments monument from the rotunda of the
Alabama Supreme Court by the Alabama Supreme Court.

The motto "In God We Trust" is also presumptuous. It's the government
defining who "we" is and by extension creating a "they." There's
nothing wrong with a religious organization saying "In God We Trust"
because such an organization is voluntary. There is something wrong
with a government of a free country saying this.

Reid

You're forgetting an important point here.

This would mean changing the ending to Miracle on 34th Street, thereby
making Santa Claus cease to exist... Hope your ready for the fallout

Old September 1st 03, 03:18 PM
phil small p

wrote:

[...]

Well,wouldn't a free country be a voluntary undertaking as well?We can
choose to participate,or not.
I think its just the presumption of a higher authority,that the
government is in a way acknowledging that it is not perfect,and is
ultimately accountable to a higher authority,whether it be God or the
people it governs.After all, the pursuit of perfection is an ongoing
endeavor,and one that is probably never going to be completed.And
though many people don't beleive in God,it is very presumptious to
inflict the beleifs of a few on the majority,one way or the other.I
personally don't beleive the government meant to inflict god on
anyone,but to acknowledge that it is responsible to the people it
governs and uses the motto 'in God we trust' to relate that
responsibility to the people.
It all depends on your point of view.

phil
'In God we trust'
(all others pay cash)
Old September 1st 03, 03:22 PM
Darren

wrote:

[...]

This new Christian fanaticism is one reason that the US is becoming a
scary place - what the world doesn't need is to continue the series of
Crusades, but it will...

Of course if God didn't exist we'd have invented him by now.

One nation under God - or else?

Old September 1st 03, 03:53 PM
Stujoe

In article , Reid
Goldsborough spoke thusly...
wrote:

God
drops a message right in
front of me telling me to trust Him?

The guy who started this thread, about how we need to trust in God and
listen to him and all this, just sent me email.

bits snipped

Did you really expect anything different when replying to someone who
makes this thread their very first post (under this name/addy anyway)
to RCC?

The thread smells like a lot like bait to me.

--
Stu Miller
Visit the Virtual Coin Museum:
Old September 1st 03, 04:24 PM
Joe Schell

In article ,
says...
Jeff Webb wrote:
"ELurio" wrote in message
Nah. The most valuable penny is a steel 1944D

What about the 1943 copper?

1974 Aluminum?

c.f. this thread at PCGS:
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=217497

I'm partial to 1799 myself.(there was no deity involved)
--
Copper is as copper does.

Penny Lancaster Success TIMP00 Autographs 0 October 4th 04 11:31 AM
For Sale: 1840. Great Britain #1. Penny Black. Only $19.99 J. A. Mc. Worldwide Stamps 0 September 6th 03 01:10 AM
Wheat Penny Question Super Rabbit Coins 5 August 1st 03 06:54 PM
wisconsin penny Coin Saver Coins 1 July 15th 03 07:06 PM
Finds from Penny roll checks - weird canadian penny find Ron Coins 0 July 11th 03 07:52 AM