I need your opinions

Old December 27th 03, 05:30 PM
Greg

Default I need your opinions

I am new to coin collecting, about 8 months. So far I have purchased 27
coins of various types all of them either PCGS or NGC certified. If you had
$500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase? I hope this post is
appropriate for this group. Thank you and Happy Holidays! Greg

Old December 27th 03, 05:59 PM
Numist1

If you had
$500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase? I hope this post is
appropriate for this group. Thank

20 Cent piece AU Bid-235
1867 Rays 5 Cent VF Bid-48
3 cent Nickel AU Bid-35
3 cent Silver AU Var 3 Bid-110
2 cent MS60 Bid-65
Total 493.00 A lot of bang for your buck.
The coin I wouldn't buy right now is a CC dollar especially an 82,83, or an 84.

Old December 27th 03, 08:13 PM
Richard L. Hall

$500 would probably get you a very good start on a nice type set.

In the absense of a truly defined collecting interest, e.g., nickels or
Morgan dollars, that may be the place to start. You could probably pick up
most of the coins in a non-gold 20th century type set in MS-63 to MS-65 for
$500, the Barbers (especially the half) and the SL quarters might put a
strain on it though. Everyone has different ideas about what a 20th century
type set should have. But the basic set might consist of (Indian cent, 1909
VDB 1c, Regular Lincoln wheat cent, 1943 steel cent, Memorial cent, Liberty
nickel, Buffalo nickel - mound type, Buffalo nickel - plain type, Jefferson
nickel, Silver war nickel, Barber dime, Mercury Dime, Roosevelt dime -
silver, Roosevelt dime - clad, Barber quarter, Standing Liberty quarter -
bare breast, Standing Liberty quarter - covered breast, Washington quarter -
silver, Washington quarter - clad, Washington quarter - bicentennial,
Washington quarter - statehood (you can include as many of these as you like
in clad or silver), Barber half, Walking Liberty half, Franklin half,
Kennedy half - silver, Kennedy half - clad, Kennedy half - bicentennial,
Morgan dollar, Peace dollar, Eisenhower dollar - clad, Eisenhower dollar -
silver, Eisenhower dollar - bicentennial, Susan B Anthony dollar, Sacajawea
dollar (although that's dated 2000, it is the last year of the century).

I'm sure some people would disagree with this and add a few or take away a
few, but that's what I would buy if I weren't interested in a particular
series.

You could probably include a classic commemorative half and a modern
commemorative half.

If you want to include gold, I know you can't do that for $500.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

Large and Small Date Lincolns:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...mall_Dates.htm

Viewing the 3's on Lincolns
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Comparison3's.htm
RCC FAQ:
http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq2.html

y.com...

Old December 27th 03, 08:17 PM
John Carney

"Greg" wrote

If you had
$500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase?

1914D Lincoln in EF. ALWAYS buy this coin certified by either PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old December 27th 03, 08:20 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Greg"

If you had $500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase?

I'd probably scour eBay awhile ...
carpe deum, y'know ...

8-l

Coin Saver
Old December 27th 03, 08:29 PM
Edward McGrath

If I had $500 to spend the wisest investment I could make is to purchase
as many 2003 Silver sets as I could. Ed

Old December 27th 03, 08:38 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:30:35 GMT, Greg wrote:

I am new to coin collecting, about 8 months. So far I have purchased 27
coins of various types all of them either PCGS or NGC certified. If you
had
$500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase? I hope this post is
appropriate for this group. Thank you and Happy Holidays! Greg

A nice Fine/Fine+ Liberty cap Half cent or large cent.
Old December 27th 03, 08:47 PM
JSTONE9352

If I had $500 to spend the wisest investment I could make is to purchase
as many 2003 Silver sets as I could. Ed

If you like speculation you might wait
and try and get on the ground floor
of the new Jefferson Nickel design next
year and get them up on Ebay as fast as you can. The window of opportunity
before
the almost certain market crash will probably be a short one. I'm not sure
how "wise" an investment this would be
however.
Old December 27th 03, 09:13 PM
Dan769

The coin I wouldn't buy right now is a CC dollar especially an 82,83, or an 84.

You think these are overpriced? By how much? Maybe I should unload my extra
ones now, or if I make it to the FUN show.
What is the bid on a 84CC PCGS MS65?

Dan769
Old December 27th 03, 10:29 PM
Sam F.

"Greg" wrote...
I am new to coin collecting, about 8 months. So far I have purchased 27
coins of various types all of them either PCGS or NGC certified. If you

had
$500 to spend, what coin or coins would you purchase? I hope this post is
appropriate for this group. Thank you and Happy Holidays! Greg

For collecting, or for investing?
If its for collecting, then I would suggest getting the highest grade of
whatever
type YOU like... not what WE like.

If its for investing, I hear the home shopping network has some great
deals...
hehe..
;o)

--