Why the insane prices for this book?

Old September 6th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Chris_K

Default Why the insane prices for this book?

ISBN 0061011703 - Postcards from France

Is this book really worth $200+ ? I can't seem to find it anywhere
online for less than that.

In other words, is this a genuine rare book or just a handful of
sellers listing it for high prices and waiting for someone to bite?

Old September 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

"Chris_K" wrote in message

ISBN 0061011703 - Postcards from France

Is this book really worth $200+ ? I can't seem to find it anywhere
online for less than that.

I cannot see why not. Two items published in England
35 years ago are currently on offer via ABE for $100,
a paperback of BBC play scripts and Oliver Kite's Fisherman's
Diary (first pub. at less than five pounds.) Supply and
demand set the price.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 7th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Chris_K wrote:

ISBN 0061011703 - Postcards from France

Is this book really worth $200+ ? I can't seem to find it anywhere
online for less than that.

Don Phillipson replied:

I cannot see why not. Two items published in England
35 years ago are currently on offer via ABE for $100

Well, and the first Harry Potter book was published just a few years
ago and sells for how many thousands now? But the OP is talking about a
mass market children's paperback, published in 1998, a well-recommended
book, but of no particular renown.

Supply and demand set the price.

Maybe. It's more likely, though, that one seller intended to enter a
price of, say, $3.50 and ended up entering $350 by mistake, and other
sellers have followed suit. That wouldn't explain why one seller thinks
it's worth listing at $2,183.14 and another at $2,183.09 and yet
another at $1,266.57 (http://tinyurl.com/rf7se) but, personally, given
the amount of general insanity there is in the world, I wouldn't worry
about it.

Here's a site offering it new for under $6.00:

http://books.idealo.com/prices/P61011703K0.html

And here's someone offering the first printing secondhand for $4:

http://www.illinibookexchange.com/bo...php?bid=313125

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com