Eaton Press, et al

Old January 8th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Eaton Press, et al

Jon Meyers wrote:
Allison Turner- wrote:

bookstore stated:

Willow Arune wrote...

No, "michael adams wrote..."
Sorry, Michael: Wanting to add an attribution to the unattributed
material in the previous post, I misread the thread sequence.

As an investment, even buying pristine second-hand copies at a
75%discount
on new - provided you could find them - it's doubtful if they'd work
out
very profitable in the long run...

[snip]
Old January 8th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

As an investment, even buying pristine second-hand copies at a 75%discount
on new - provided you could find them - it's doubtful if they'd work out
very profitable in the long run as many purchasers
will have kept them in pristine condition themselves, wrongly believing
them to be an "investment".

Spoken like a true novice. I laughed all the way to the bank after I paid
$79 apiece for a bunch of Easton Press editions signed by Mandela and Reagan
and then sold them for thousands apiece. The Easton Press put my son
through Harvard.

Old January 8th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

There are a small number of the Easton Press science fiction line which
are notable because they are the first hardback editions of works
previously done only in paperback. Examples include Lois McMaster
Bujold's Barrayar and The Vor Game (both Hugo winners, and both quite
valuable), F. Paul Wilson's Dydeetown World, and a few others. Others
can be valuable due to the signature of a reclusive or dead author. But
the vast majority of un-signed Easton Press books will lose value over
time.

Lawrence Person
Lame Excuse Books
Stock available online at www.tomfolio.com (searched by
www.bookfinder.com), or at: http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Old January 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Jon Meyers wrote:
Allison Turner- wrote:

bookstore stated:

Willow Arune wrote...

No, "michael adams wrote..."
Sorry, Michael: Wanting to add an attribution to the unattributed
material in the previous post, I misread the thread sequence.

No problem Jon: given I totally confused Easton Press and
Franklin Library I think I've got of pretty lightly.

michael adams

Old January 8th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

on Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:09:42 -0000, michael adams stated:

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Jon Meyers wrote:
Allison Turner- wrote:

bookstore stated:

Willow Arune wrote...

No, "michael adams wrote..."
Sorry, Michael: Wanting to add an attribution to the unattributed
material in the previous post, I misread the thread sequence.

No problem Jon: given I totally confused Easton Press and
Franklin Library I think I've got of pretty lightly.

Is there a big difference between them, and the rest of
the pretty leather reprint houses? I have a tendency
to shy away from Franklin Library, having seen faaar too
many Franklin Mint 'collectible' coins in my youth.
Cheap buncha garbage. But that doesn't mean the books
are any worse (or better) than Easton, Gryphon, or
whoever. Anyone have anything to say on the relative
quality? Or do y'all mostly just ignore all of them?

-Allison

Old January 9th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

From Abebooks...

I stand somewhat corrected - I would not pay that for a signature, but one
is born every minute...

Of course, they also list FIRST MAN IN ROMe by Colleen McCullough for $2000
and if anyoen wants several of those, I have 'em... Half price!

Willow

2.
Long Walk to Freedom
Nelson Mandela
Bookseller: Nathan Webster - bookseller
(Stratham, NH, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 2399.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 6.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Easton Press, Norwalk, Ct, 2000. Full-Leather. Book
Condition: As New. No Jacket. Limited. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. This is
the Signed Easton Press Collector's edition of Nelson Mandela's
autobiography, 'Long Walk to Freedom.' Mandela, the former president of
South Africa, is one of the towering figures of our time, and copies of this
signed edition are exceedingly rare. This book is bound in leather, and is
Still Sealed in the publisher's shrinkwrap, and is in As New condition. It
will come with the Easton Press Certificate of Authenticity and short notes
about the book. Mandela is currently involved in litigation regarding the
authenticity of some artwork presented as signed by him, and his authograph
is commonly forged. An Easton edition guarantees the signature is 100
percent authentic, which is even more important when dealing with a
legendary figure in world history like Mandela. Signed by Author. Private
Press. Bookseller Inventory # 000043

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

3.
Long Walk to Freedom
Nelson Mandela
Bookseller: Nathan Webster - bookseller
(Stratham, NH, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 4500.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 6.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Easton Press, Norwalk, Ct, 2000. Full-Leather. Book
Condition: As New. No Jacket. Limited. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. This is
the Signed Easton Press Collector's edition of Nelson Mandela's
autobiography, 'Long Walk to Freedom.' Very notably, it has been HAND-DATED
by Mandela on the signature page, an amazing rarity for any Easton edition,
especially one as signifcant as this. It is dated '9-15-2000' in Mandela's
hand, which predates the date on the COA. It is likely that he started out
dating the signature pages until an assisitant told him he wasn't expected
to. Mandela, the former president of South Africa, is one of the towering
figures of our time, and copies of this signed edition are exceedingly rare,
much less one specifically dated. This book is bound in leather and is in
fine condtion, with no flaws to the binding or the gilt page edges. It will
come with the Easton Press Certificate of Authenticity and short notes about
the book. An Easton edition guarantees the signature is 100 percent
authentic, which is even more important when dealing with a legendary figure
in world history like Mandela. Signed by Author. Private Press. Bookseller
Inventory # 000047

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

4.
Long Walk to Freedom
Mandela, Nelson
Bookseller: FLATSIGNED BOOKS
(Nashville, TN, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 4889.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Easton Press, 2001. FLATSIGNED by Nelson Mandela Limited
EDITION. First PRINT FINE condition Book with FINE condition Dustjacket
of -- Long Walk to Freedom -- STILL SEALED in Shrink-Wrap! Published by:
Easton Press, 2001. Bookseller Inventory # 3494

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

5.

Long Walk To Freedom
Mandela Nelson
Bookseller: www.rareandsigned.com
(LEEDS, WY, United Kingdom) Price: US$ 5015.80
[Convert Currency] Shipping within United Kingdom:
US$ 5.93
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Easton Press, USA. Full-Leather. Book Condition: As New.
Dust Jacket Condition: As New. Limited. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. This is
an incredibly rare special edition leatherbound collectors edition of the
autobiography "Long Walk To Freedom". Hand signed by Mr Mandela on the main
title page. This edition is still sealed as issued by the publishers, with
all documentation contained within. Includes original Mandela signed COA and
certificates. Issued as a very low print. Presented in heavy green leather
with embossed spine. 22kt gold leaf inlay to leather binding and endpages.
This is a world class binding and only available via mail order for a very
short time. One of the most famous political and humanitarian figures in the
world. This edition is very heavy and contains many full colour and black /
white photographs and maps / illustrations. Pristine condition and still
sealed as new. This book is highly collectable and a surefired investment.
Clean pages, tight binding, no defects at all with full 100% authenticity.
Signed by Author. Private Press. Bookseller Inventory # 000032

123.

SIGNED** RONALD REAGAN : An American Life (ISBN: 0671691988)
Reagan, Ronald
Bookseller: ODDS & ENDS BOOKS
(Northridge, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 1500.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Riverside, New Jersey, U.S.A.: Simon & Schuster, 1990.
Hardcover. Book Condition: As New. Dust Jacket Condition: New. 1st Edition.
1ST PRINTING STATED (13579108642) number row, harback book FINE like new
rm/dustjacket FINE new in brodart cover, BOOK is SIGNED by the 40th
president of the united states "with best wishes" RONALD REAGAN (a great
piece of history). Signed by Author(s). Bookseller Inventory # 40THUSA

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

124.
Where's the Rest of Me? The Ronald Reagan Story
Reagan, Ronald, with Richard G. Hubler
Bookseller: Time Tested Books
(Sacramento, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 1750.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, New York, 1965. Hard Cover. Book
Condition: Very Good. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. First Edition. A
very nice copy of Ronald Reagan's autobiography. It is signed by Reagan on
the front flyleaf and "honey" on the dedication page is scratched out for a
handwritten "Nancy." Book has minor shelf wear and gift inscription on back
of front flyleaf. DJ has minor edge wear. Time Tested Books has been located
in the same place and owned by the same people for over 20 years. We have an
excellent rep. We also have tens of thousands of titles in stock and are an
open shop, so when in the Sacramento area, stop in. Signed by Author.
Bookseller Inventory # 004095

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

125.
Framed Matted B/W Photograph of President Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter,
Gerald R. Ford, Richard Nixon Inside White House Standing in Office By Flag,
SIGNED By All 4 on Individual Cards Mounted Beneath Foto, Marvelous
Historical Piece
Signed In Bold Black Ink by President Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Gerald R.
Ford, Richard Nixon on Individual Cards
Bookseller: Bluff Park Rare Books
(Long Beach, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 1950.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 5.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Unbound. No Jacket. Unbound. No Jacket. Signed by Author.
12 X 18 inches Black Framed, Photograph of Presidents Has minor Fade at top
probably exposure artificial Light causing Gold Features to Faces VG- ,
Signatures are all in FINE Condition NICE & BRIGHT & CLEAR, All SIGNATURES
GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC. Signed by Author. Bookseller Inventory # 4549

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

126.
Ronald Reagan: An American Life (ISBN: 0671691988)
Reagan, Ronald
Bookseller: Timothy R. Hill, Bookseller
(Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 3000.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Riverside, New Jersey, U.S.A.: Simon & Schuster, 1990,
1990. FIRST EDITION/FIRST PRINTING. SIGNED ON PRESIDENTIAL BOOKPLATE. Fine
in Fine dust jacket with one tiny crinkle to the bottom of back cover.
Original price tag from Reagan Library covers rear bar code. Bookseller
Inventory # 88

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Allison Turner- wrote:
bookstore stated:
Willow Arune wrote...

As an investment, even buying pristine second-hand copies at a

75%discount
on new - provided you could find them - it's doubtful if they'd work

out
very profitable in the long run...

Spoken like a true novice. I laughed all the way to the bank after I

paid
$79 apiece for a bunch of Easton Press editions signed by Mandela and

Reagan
and then sold them for thousands apiece. The Easton Press put my son
through Harvard.

Well, perhaps it was the signatures, rather than the
books themselves.

Exactly: Guaranteed specimens of the signatures of world leaders. I
would guess that the Mandela is genuine & a particularly tough find, but
the Reagan is probably an AutoPen sig.

--Jon Meyers

Old January 9th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"bookstore" wrote in message
As an investment, even buying pristine second-hand copies at
a 75%discount on new - provided you could find them - it's
doubtful if they'd work out very profitable in the long run
as many purchasers will have kept them in pristine condition
themselves, wrongly believie them to be an "investment".

Spoken like a true novice.

Er no. Spoken by someone who's detailed knowledge of both Presses
is based solely on the information on their websites - neither of
which make any overt reference, on the front page at least, to signed
editions. By World leaders or anyone else.

The general point about the investment potential of manufactured
collectibles is valid enough, I believe.

These books aren't imported in large quantities to the UK in any
case. Maybe because the UK is relatively snowed under with genuine
old leather in various states of decrepitude already, with Victorian
Leather Sets by the yard all destined to fall victim to rot red.
While nobody wants to emulate successful Victorians any more in any
case. Except Oil Sheiks in tweeds. Nowadays those seeking to impress
are more likely to purchase ever-larger plasma TV screens.

And anyway we had the Heron Library - a seemingly never ending
succession of truly excerable sets, bound in richly "decorated" (sic)
"Skivertex" (sic)- an imitation plastic leather. i.e not even
genuine plastic leather. Series of these were sold off of garish
full page ads in TV Listings magazines, supplements and the like.

I laughed all the way to the bank after I paid
$79 apiece for a bunch of Easton Press editions signed by Mandela
and Reagan and then sold them for thousands apiece.

You've just inadvertantly given ammunition to dictionary-man,
who apparently believes, despite manifest evidence to the contrary -
no rich secondhand booksellers etc - that booksellers are
unethical individuals who grow rich by preying on the
unsuspecting and the uninformed.

The Easton Press put my son
through Harvard.

The fact that you may have been too poor a bookseller, to be able
to afford to do so otherwise, is maybe too subtle a point to impress
the likes of dictionary-man I'm afraid.

Let's just hope that in originally selling those signed editions
to you for $79, those poor saps weren't depriving themselves
of an asset which in future they could have sold to finance their
3 year old grandchild's eye operation. Thus saving their grandchild
from a lifetime of blindness and misery.

Or something like that anyway.

michael adams

Old January 9th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

michael adams wrote:
[snip]

These books aren't imported in large quantities to the UK in any
case. Maybe because the UK is relatively snowed under with genuine
old leather in various states of decrepitude already, with Victorian
Leather Sets by the yard all destined to fall victim to rot red.
While nobody wants to emulate successful Victorians any more in any
case. Except Oil Sheiks in tweeds. Nowadays those seeking to impress
are more likely to purchase ever-larger plasma TV screens.

And anyway we had the Heron Library - a seemingly never ending
succession of truly excerable sets, bound in richly "decorated" (sic)
"Skivertex" (sic)- an imitation plastic leather. i.e not even
genuine plastic leather. Series of these were sold off of garish
full page ads in TV Listings magazines, supplements and the like.

Where does the Folio Society rank in your bestiary?
Old January 9th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

The Easton Hardy Boys books (leather bound in illustrated slipcovers)
issued in the late 80s now sell for 5 to 10 times the issue price and
are hard to locate (some turn up on eBay with out the slipcover at
lower prices). Not a bad investment!
Easton is now releasing several volumes of the original Tom Swift books
in leather bindings at about $50 each, in which I have so far resisted
"investing".
.................................................. ..
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://hardyboys.bobfinnan.com
New & Out Of Print Books, Tapes, DVD's, CD-ROMs and More For Sale
http://hardyboys.bobfinnan.com/amazon.htm
.................................................. ..

Old January 9th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John Machin" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
[snip]

These books aren't imported in large quantities to the UK in any
case. Maybe because the UK is relatively snowed under with genuine
old leather in various states of decrepitude already, with Victorian
Leather Sets by the yard all destined to fall victim to rot red.
While nobody wants to emulate successful Victorians any more in any
case. Except Oil Sheiks in tweeds. Nowadays those seeking to impress
are more likely to purchase ever-larger plasma TV screens.

And anyway we had the Heron Library - a seemingly never ending
succession of truly excerable sets, bound in richly "decorated" (sic)
"Skivertex" (sic)- an imitation plastic leather. i.e not even
genuine plastic leather. Series of these were sold off of garish
full page ads in TV Listings magazines, supplements and the like.

Where does the Folio Society rank in your bestiary?

As I said in my original post in respect of Easton and Franklin,
having classic texts in a "deluxe" format, can prove useful for people
looking for an acceptable copy of a much-loved text where originals
are out of the question. As I said there, my own objection to
Easton and Franklin is mainly to do with the modern leather bindings =
which are more like leather coverings as I understand it - complete
with fake raised bands. As I doubt these are as robust as traditional
leather.

One big plus with Folio Society books is the slipcase - which is
usually still present in second-hand offerings and can make a
significant contribution to maintaining pristine condition in
books bought to be re-read over ensuing decades. Also the fact
that Folio Society books aren't setting out to consciously mimic
any other format, other than 20th century, cloth bound Private
Press books gives them more legitimacy IMO.

There are differences of opinion regarding the illustrations -
both in general, for particular illustrators, and for particular
titles. Apparently the cognoscenti rate the earlier letterpress
editions rather more highly than the subsequent offset productions.
As I never follow the market I wouldn't know if this translates
into prices. And when exactly the changeover happened - maybe in
the 80's.

There's probably no better way of obtaining a nicely produced edition
of say Jane Austen, than in a second-hand Folio Edition set. Which are
as possibly as authoritative as the Oxford Standard Authors edition,
although I wouldn't swear to it. Complete with slipcases there's
100's of years of reading of nicely printed, snow white pages there.

As to subscribing rather than buying second-hand, that's another
matter.

michael adams