Another rarity pulled out of a cardboard box

Old March 30th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Another rarity pulled out of a cardboard box

It doesn't just happen in Louisiana...

First-edition Ulysses found in clear-out
The Irish Post Wednesday, March 29, 2006

[snip]
The rare book was almost sold for a pittance as the owners decided to
dispose of their long-forgotten household goods.

But luckily for them an expert spotted it and correctly identified it as
one of only 750 copies printed on handmade paper in Paris in February 1922.
[snip]

Full story at:
http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/story.asp?j=3976

--Jon Meyers
Old March 30th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Thanks for the link. One dreams of such a discovery. I have a sixth
ed. of the book which is much like the first although the covers are
white with Greek blue lettering instead of the reverse for the true
first. Think of what that book would bring if it were signed!! I have
heard of such a book existing.

Rick Kalamaya

Old March 31st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

kal53 wrote:

Thanks for the link. One dreams of such a discovery. I have a sixth
ed. of the book which is much like the first although the covers are
white with Greek blue lettering instead of the reverse for the true
first. Think of what that book would bring if it were signed!! I have
heard of such a book existing.

Rick Kalamaya

Hi Rick,

It is my understanding that the first printing was 1,000 books.
100 were large and signed.
150 were large and unsigned.
750 were medium sized and unsigned.
All were handmade paper.

Francis A. Miniter
Old March 31st 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
kal53 wrote:

Thanks for the link. One dreams of such a discovery. I have a sixth
ed. of the book which is much like the first although the covers are
white with Greek blue lettering instead of the reverse for the true
first. Think of what that book would bring if it were signed!! I have
heard of such a book existing.

It is my understanding that the first printing was 1,000 books. 100 were
large and signed.
150 were large and unsigned.
750 were medium sized and unsigned. All were handmade paper.

Here's a site with a nice summary and pictures of the early editions:
http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/joyce/early.html

They give this breakdown (supplemented by me with trim sizes gleaned
from an ABE listing):

100 on Dutch handmade paper, signed (23.7 x 19.5 cm)
150 on Arches paper, numbered (26.2 x 20.1 cm)
750 on handmade paper [also numbered, though the site doesn't note it]
(23.7 x 18.5 cm)

The Arches paper is, I believe, Verge d'Arches, a type of high-quality,
large-format paper produced by the Canson mill in France.

--Jon Meyers
Old April 1st 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:

kal53 wrote:

Thanks for the link. One dreams of such a discovery. I have a sixth
ed. of the book which is much like the first although the covers are
white with Greek blue lettering instead of the reverse for the true
first. Think of what that book would bring if it were signed!! I have
heard of such a book existing.

It is my understanding that the first printing was 1,000 books. 100
were large and signed.
150 were large and unsigned.
750 were medium sized and unsigned. All were handmade paper.

Here's a site with a nice summary and pictures of the early editions:
http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/joyce/early.html

And, just by the way, if you'd like to take a peek at the original
800-page handwritten manuscript of _Ulysses_ , visit the Rosenbach
Museum and Library, in Philadelphia.

A recent story about the museum:
http://tinyurl.com/k89pm

--Jon Meyers

Universal Rarity Scale MikeO Coins 8 February 1st 06 04:12 PM
Advice on right cardboard for bookcovers [email protected] Books 2 August 19th 05 02:25 AM
Current Rarity Estimates for Overton Varieties Gerald Buckmaster Coins 4 March 17th 04 12:41 PM
My Ebay Item pulled......please read. Mr Black Autographs 37 March 10th 04 12:58 AM
Beware of cardboard boxes and folders James McCown Coins 4 July 15th 03 04:51 AM