Bookstores in Indianapolis

Old March 30th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Bookstores in Indianapolis

Hello all,

I will be travelling to Indianapolis this summer and want to know if
there are any good bookstores, and if so, how far from downtown (City
Centre) they can be found.

Thanks!
Old March 30th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Some Guy" wrote in message
Hello all,

I will be travelling to Indianapolis this summer and want to know if there
are any good bookstores, and if so, how far from downtown (City Centre)
they can be found.

Thanks!

Damn, I was going to tell you about Tom Budd of Idlewood Books in Lebanon,
IN
which is about 45 minutes north of Indianapolis. But as I was looking up his
address,
I found out he died last fall.
http://www.abaa.org/abaa/images/pdfs/fall2005.pdf page 13
He really was a very nice man. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours
with him two years ago.
He even let me hold his $20,000.00 Catcher in the Rye. My hands are starting
to sweat thinking about it.

I was just there for the weekend and that was the only place I tried.
I'm sorry that I'm no help and you won't have the chance to visit him and
his books.

Rich

Old March 30th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Most expensive book I've ever held [was Bookstores in Indianapolis]

Scrooge wrote:
Damn, I was going to tell you about Tom Budd of Idlewood Books in Lebanon,
IN
which is about 45 minutes north of Indianapolis. But as I was looking up his
address,
I found out he died last fall.
http://www.abaa.org/abaa/images/pdfs/fall2005.pdf page 13
He really was a very nice man. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours
with him two years ago.
He even let me hold his $20,000.00 Catcher in the Rye. My hands are starting
to sweat thinking about it.

Well, that certainly beats the priciest book I've ever had in my hands:
The 1935 Limited Editions Club issue of James Joyce's _Ulysses_,
illustrated by Henri Matisse. The copy I looked at was signed by
Matisse only--so about a $5,000 book. If it was one of the few also
signed by Joyce--who stopped signing because he disapproved of Matisse's
illustrations, which, since the artist didn't bother to read the book,
were based on Homer's Ulysses and not on Joyce's work at all--then we'd
be talking that $20,000 price-range.

Anybody else? Regardless of price, which book made *your* hands sweat?

--Jon Meyers
Old March 30th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message

Well, that certainly beats the priciest book I've ever had in my hands:
The 1935 Limited Editions Club issue of James Joyce's _Ulysses_,
illustrated by Henri Matisse. The copy I looked at was signed by
Matisse only--so about a $5,000 book. If it was one of the few also
signed by Joyce--who stopped signing because he disapproved of Matisse's
illustrations, which, since the artist didn't bother to read the book,
were based on Homer's Ulysses and not on Joyce's work at all--then we'd
be talking that $20,000 price-range.

Harry and Caresse Crosby, the owners of the Black Sun Press
in Paris, commissioned Constantin Brancusi to produce a
portrait of Joyce as a frontispiece for their forthcoming
publication of a selection to include "Tales Of Shem And
Shaun - sections of Finnegans Wake. Mrs Crosby thought
the preliminary sketches looked too much like Joyce, and
too little like Brancusi, and asked if he could do something
more abstract. He explained he already had done
"A Symbol of Joyce", and was this perhaps what was wanted?

http://i2.tinypic.com/sm6dli.jpg

It goes without saying of course that when Brancusi's sketch
was shown Joyce's father, John Joyce in Dublin, his reaction
was " The boy seems to have changed a good deal."

michael adams

info:
"James Joyce"
Richard Ellman