Jericho

Old June 5th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

Default Jericho

Hmmmm.... Looks like MANY more people felt that the show did not "suck", as
it was so thoughtfully and eloquently stated.

================================================== ==================================
'Jericho' To Return To CBS
Network expected to announce eight-episode pickup

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: TV Guide Online
Jun-05-2007

It looks like everything at CBS has gone nuts. Literally.
TV Guide columnist and chief scooper Michael Ausiello is reporting that CBS
is close to announcing that the recently-cancelled television show "Jericho"
is going to get an eight-episode renewal.

"Multiple sources are telling me that CBS is this close to sealing a deal to
bring 'Jericho' back for at least eight episodes, possibly at mid-season,"
Ausiello said. "My spies caution that this is in no way official, but it
certainly sounds like it could be by day's end."

If such a thing were to happen, then it would be a tremendous victory for
"Jericho" fans who organized out of nowhere to launch one of the most solid
fan campaigns in recent memory with e-mail, letters and tons and tons and
tons of actual nuts to CBS studios in New York and Los Angeles.

One company with owners who had never previously watched the one-season CBS
series, became instant fans and public spokesmen for the campaign. Nuts
Online president Jeffrey Braverman has spearheaded the delivery of more than
38,000 pounds of nuts -- nearly 20 tons -- to CBS officials on both sides of
the country. Fans put their money where their mouths were to buy more than
$50,000 in nuts, most of which were sold at cost, with remaining monies
going to charities such as a fund to help tornado victims in Greensburg,
Kansas.

Even if the show does return, Gerald McRaney -- former Mayor Green -- will
not return, said E! Online.

"Gerald is moving on," the actor's personal representative told Kristin
Veitch. "Although he enjoyed working with the people at 'Jericho,' the
'Deadwood' experience [with HBO] was one of the best of his entire
professional career."

McRaney actually bailed from the show before a decision to cancel the show
initially had been given by CBS, which is why his character died in the
season finale, Veitch said.

"Jericho" fans have started a number of Web sites and are even raising money
for an ad to run in trade publications to convince the network to bring back
the show which was expected to return for a second season before being
abruptly cancelled.

Last week, showrunner Carol Barbee told Shaun Daily's online radio show that
other networks were interested in the show, and that it could come back in
some form or another.

When the campaign first started, many sources hinted at a possible wrap-up
telemovie, but if this eight-episode pickup is true, then it could very well
signal a full return of the show by January.

Please note that CBS Corp. has not confirmed this report, and it should be
treated as any rumor would.

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old June 6th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

yeah well, they all better get neilsen ratings boxes soon, or it'll be
off the air again...just like serenity and angel and hundreds of other
shows that got their life back, only to have it replaced at
midseason...cause that's the bottom line for television, does the show
sell doritos and coca cola? that's it, just ask the kids on arrested
developement (and THAT was a good show).
mike

Old June 6th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

the Nelson thing isn't only boxes. I Had a nailsen survey. I see how
it was sooooo faulty. They wanted you to keep track for a week, and
put every 15 minutes or half hour what you were watching. The fault?
I have 5 TV's, all of which are used at varying times, by varying
people and some are run at the same time. In addition, I am a
flipper. I toggle usually between two shows sometimes (depends) and
during commercials. So I can be watching two at once. I have picture
in picture and never use it. but others might. Sometimes, they change
the lineup and you don't know when things have been switched to.
There are just so many faults, it cannot possibly articulate the real
happenings of America's viewing habits.

Old June 6th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

The return of 'Jericho' actually stemmed a report on either CNN, FOX or one
of the other cable clone networks. The discussion was how antiquated the
Nielsen rating system has become and how it doesn't work with today's
viewing public. 1) Nielsen does not take into account the people the Tivo
(or simply record) the shows. 2) It does not take into account people that
download the episodes off of the official network websites. The discussion
went on to say that Hollyweird is going to have to rethink how it interprets
ratings as a whole because critically acclaimed shows, like 'Arrested
Development', 'Jericho' and dozens upon dozens of other shows, are being
killed way too early because of this now inaccurate rating system. In the
50's, when the Nielsen rating system was first developed, there was at least
one spouse (usually the wife) that was home tending the home/family. At
night, the families actually congregated as a family and watched shows on
the one TV that was in the house. At that time, the ratings were extremely
accurate. Nielsen could then state that this family of 4 watched 'I Love
Lucy' so they represent hundreds of other similar families, so that meant
that several hundred households in that area all watched that episode of
'Lucy' (whether they did or not). With today's tech, there are many legal
ways of watching new episodes that are not configured in to the system.
Case in point is the faulty rating results that CBS has/had for 'Jericho'.
Their reports stated that under 8 million people was watching the show, so
they felt that it wasn't a "hit". While these "geniuses" were figuring
this, the critics are raving about it and the fans are talking about the
show.

To be completely honest, the only reasons that CBS decided to revive the
show is because they were getting negative press, the network was losing
ratings (they showed facts that their rating dropped 3-5% since the
cancellation) and the fact that at least three other networks offered to buy
the show from them (especially the Sci-Fi Channel) to air new episodes.
Sci-Fi now has the reputation of taking "dead" shows and making them thrive
as hits with new episodes. What's going to be a factor is what CBS does
with the show. If they AGAIN throw in another idiotic "mid-season break" or
have the show on one night and change it two weeks later, then it is not the
viewer's fault for any rating problems, just as it wasn't the viewer's fault
last time.

Old June 6th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

i remember my parents having the nielsen booklets...they sent them one
for every tv in the house (my brother still lived at home, so there
were 3 books) and my parents thought the whole thing was silly and
didn't do the books..it was all so silly..

i have a friend with a neilsen box and he thinks it's dumb. he tivo's
half the stuff he watches anyway...and that isn't worked in at all. so
whatever, that thing is silly. but it's what they use to determine if
people are watching the shows or not...and the networks don't even
give a show a chance to grab an audience...i think this is one of the
first years that so many shows got the axe after 1 or 2 shows.
mike

Old June 6th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

It's a real shame too. While there were some stinkers, there were some
shows that had real promise. These got axed for no apparent reason other
than programmer errors. I remember, years ago, when networks actually gave
a show at least two seasons before making a decision on cancelling it. If
networks had the same "Idol ratings or die" mentality years ago, shows never
would have been allowed to develop into the hits that they became. Prime
examples: 'Star Trek: TNG', 'Night Court', 'Cheers' and even 'MASH'. All of
these shows had less than stellar first seasons, but they were allowed to
garner an audience before prematurely pulling the plug.

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

oups.com...

Old June 6th 07, 07:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Nope; Tivo is not included and I've accidentally forgotten stuff was
on I wanted to watch, had crap on instead and when I annotated the
books, I lied about what I watched because I didn't want the crap item
on there and the good show not (ok, I only did that once or twice, but
I figured every household counts as so much so.... I didn't want to
take the chance I'd be the reason the show was cancelled). so goes to
show you the whole thing is worthless. I've also heard people put
TV's on their shows with the boxes and then watch other things on
laptops or other things... so even that system is messed up.

Old June 10th 07, 12:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_4_]

Hate to say it, but Hollywood isn't concerned with what we want to view.
There is GARBAGE on most of the networks, that's why I lean towards TVland,
A&E, Discovery, and some of the other learning channels for my viewing
entertainment.

This weekend, Ben Jones, who played "Cooter" on the Dukes said the same
thing about his "Dukefest". He said when almost 70-100K people show for a
two day weekend, they're sending Hollywood a message, that they want good
entertainment for their family viewing.

Unfortunate we have to put up with Paris Hilton reality tv, or Joe
Millionare lying crap!

Old June 10th 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

well, the latest thing i just read is that it may not wind up on tv
anyway...once a show gets announced as "cancelled" from the corporate
big wigs, all the contracts are considered ended...and now they have
to negotiate with all those people on the show again, and it appears
that skeet ulrich isn't really all that interested...
sorry.
mike

Old June 10th 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Nate

On Jun 6, 1:33 pm, Sue H wrote:
Nope; Tivo is not included and I've accidentally forgotten stuff was
on I wanted to watch, had crap on instead and when I annotated the
books, I lied about what I watched because I didn't want the crap item
on there and the good show not (ok, I only did that once or twice, but
I figured every household counts as so much so.... I didn't want to
take the chance I'd be the reason the show was cancelled). so goes to
show you the whole thing is worthless. I've also heard people put
TV's on their shows with the boxes and then watch other things on
laptops or other things... so even that system is messed up.

From the people who fought (and won) to get CBS to bring Jericho back

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Change Nielsen's"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/62951S/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and
consider signing yourself.

Save Jericho! xabistuff Coins 0 May 30th 07 09:32 PM
Jericho TV Show Gummby3 Autographs 0 May 21st 07 04:11 PM
Save Jericho... sign petition Sue H Autographs 7 May 21st 07 06:30 AM
FS: Autographed Chris Jericho WWE Figure Eternal ECW Fan General 0 November 10th 03 10:51 PM