Public Domain Issues - UK

Old July 9th 03, 10:07 PM
Tom

Default Public Domain Issues - UK

Reading a few websites has got me thinking that I may try to reprint some
old works that I own - if they have fallen into the public domain. A few
items in my own collection, I am hoping, would probably be eligible -
however I am not totally sure of UK copyright laws.

For example, I am pretty sure that Hall's 'Life with the Esquimaux' is in
public domain - so that means it could be reprinted - without contacting
anyone? It is 1864 Original Publication

However - other things I am pretty sure that the following could not be
reprinted -

A Century of Excavation In Palestine - Religious Tracts Society - 1925 -
Author Died In 1950

Two of Graham Greene's early books, Rumour at Nightfall (1931) and The Name
of Action (1930) - Author Died in 1991 - He never allowed the books to be
reprinted - so only first editions exist....

Would be very grateful for any help on this topic - many thanks,

Tom Lintern-Mole

Old July 9th 03, 10:31 PM
Barbara Roden

"Tom" wrote in message
Reading a few websites has got me thinking that I may try to reprint some
old works that I own - if they have fallen into the public domain. A few
items in my own collection, I am hoping, would probably be eligible -
however I am not totally sure of UK copyright laws.

Current copyright law in the U.K - as in the rest of Europe - is that
copyright exists for seventy years after an author's death in respect of
previously published material. I understand that different provisions apply
to unpublished material.

For example, I am pretty sure that Hall's 'Life with the Esquimaux' is in
public domain - so that means it could be reprinted - without contacting
anyone? It is 1864 Original Publication

Original publication is no guide; it's the date of the author's death that
matters. However, unless the author wrote this book while he was a teenager
and lived to be a hundred or so, you're probably in the clear on this one
:-)

However - other things I am pretty sure that the following could not be
reprinted -

A Century of Excavation In Palestine - Religious Tracts Society - 1925 -
Author Died In 1950

Two of Graham Greene's early books, Rumour at Nightfall (1931) and The

Name
of Action (1930) - Author Died in 1991 - He never allowed the books to be
reprinted - so only first editions exist....

These could be reprinted with the permission of the relevant estates;
however, if they're not willing to have them reprinted, or ask more than
you're prepared to pay, you're out of luck.

Barbara Roden

Old July 10th 03, 04:13 AM
William M. Klimon

"Tom" wrote in message

Reading a few websites has got me thinking that I may try to reprint some
old works that I own - if they have fallen into the public domain. A few
items in my own collection, I am hoping, would probably be eligible -
however I am not totally sure of UK copyright laws.

http://www.intellectual-property.gov...t/how_long.htm

Good luck.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 10th 03, 10:09 PM
Barbara Roden

"Eric Bustad" wrote in message

http://www.intellectual-property.gov...t/how_long.htm

I read this as saying that the UK copyright protection for _books_ lasts
only 25 years after the year of publication, not for the 70 years after
the author's death that was mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

The website states: "Copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic
work lasts for the life of the author and 70 years from the end of the year
in which he/she died."

It does further state that: "Copyright in a published edition expires 25
years from the end of the year in which the edition was first published.";
but this is something else, and presumably exists to protect artists who
wish to recover rights from a publisher.

Believe me, copyright in a book exists for seventy years after the death of
the author (in Britain and the E.U.). I've had dealings with enough estates
to be absolutely dead certain of this fact :-)

Barbara Roden

Old July 10th 03, 11:46 PM
Barbara Roden

"Eric Bustad" wrote in message

Believe me, copyright in a book exists for seventy years after the death

of
the author (in Britain and the E.U.). I've had dealings with enough

estates
to be absolutely dead certain of this fact :-)

How about a non-fiction book?

The same goes for non-fiction as for fiction: seventy years after the death
of the author. If you create something - stories, novels, music, articles,
reference books, paintings, cartoons, whatever - copyright in the U.K. and
E.U. is death plus seventy.

Barbara

Old July 11th 03, 12:31 AM
Eric Bustad

Barbara Roden wrote:
"Eric Bustad" wrote in message

Believe me, copyright in a book exists for seventy years after the death

of

the author (in Britain and the E.U.). I've had dealings with enough

estates

to be absolutely dead certain of this fact :-)

How about a non-fiction book?

The same goes for non-fiction as for fiction: seventy years after the death
of the author. If you create something - stories, novels, music, articles,
reference books, paintings, cartoons, whatever - copyright in the U.K. and
E.U. is death plus seventy.

Barbara

Well, 25 years did seem kind of hard to believe.

= Eric

Old July 11th 03, 03:38 AM
William M. Klimon

"Barbara Roden" wrote in message

The same goes for non-fiction as for fiction: seventy years after the

death
of the author. If you create something - stories, novels, music, articles,
reference books, paintings, cartoons, whatever - copyright in the U.K. and
E.U. is death plus seventy.

The Berne Convention states that duration of copyright is life of the author
plus 50 years, but it allows each member nation to extend that duration.
Most, but not all, of the EU countries have extended that limit to 70 years.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 11th 03, 10:03 AM
Bernard Peek

In message , Eric Bustad
writes
Barbara Roden wrote:
"Eric Bustad" wrote in message

Believe me, copyright in a book exists for seventy years after the
death

of

the author (in Britain and the E.U.). I've had dealings with enough

estates

to be absolutely dead certain of this fact :-)

How about a non-fiction book?

The same goes for non-fiction as for fiction: seventy years after
the death
of the author. If you create something - stories, novels, music, articles,
reference books, paintings, cartoons, whatever - copyright in the U.K. and
E.U. is death plus seventy.
Barbara

Well, 25 years did seem kind of hard to believe.

The 25 year protection is for the typographical layout of the book. If
an author dies in 1900 copyright on their text expires in 1970 but if a
publisher puts out an edition of their work in 2000 you wouldn't be able
to make copies from that edition until 2025.

Another thing to note is that copyrights on translated works are based
on the lifetime of the translator as well as the original author.

--
Bernard Peek

www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....

In search of cognoscenti