A second hand copy of a book yet to be published

Old July 10th 03, 04:19 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Default A second hand copy of a book yet to be published

Today, July 9, 2003, I had a most unusual literary experience. I
purchased (for $2), at a second hand bookstore, an unread copy of a book
yet to be published.

There is a "Friends of the Library" bookstore in the next town that
takes donated books and sells them at tag sale prices to raise money for
the local library. I stopped in there today, and found a trade paper
copy of "Train" by Pete Dexter. I was puzzled because I thought I knew
all his books and this was not one of them. To see it in trade
paperback confused me even more. I pulled it off the shelf and
discovered the words "Advance Reading Copy - Not for Sale" on the cover.
A letter from the publisher was on the free front end paper, announcing
that Dexter, who last published in 1995, had signed with Doubleday. The
copyright page declares it to be a First Edition and the publishing date
is October 2003. The back cover contains some information about the
book, the author and marketing of the book.

I guess I will be the first on my block (well there are less than 30
houses) to read Dexter's new book.

Francis A. Miniter

Old July 10th 03, 05:07 AM
MindElec

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:04:46 -0400, "William M. Klimon"
declared:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

To see it in trade
paperback confused me even more. I pulled it off the shelf and
discovered the words "Advance Reading Copy - Not for Sale" on the cover.
A letter from the publisher was on the free front end paper, announcing
that Dexter, who last published in 1995, had signed with Doubleday. The
copyright page declares it to be a First Edition and the publishing date
is October 2003. The back cover contains some information about the
book, the author and marketing of the book.

I found a hardcover ARC at the local thrift today: James L. Halperin, *The
Truth Machine* (Del Rey 1996) "Preview Reader's Edition", no title page,
"Reader Survey" form on last 2 pages.

I'm seen special advanced (not limited) editions (like Burke's *Cadillac
Jukebox* for the ABA), but I don't recall seeing a hardcover ARC before.

that one is a special case. the book was actually privately published
before del rey bought it. that's why the title page is missing.

robert

"there must be one night in your life that you will remember forever.
The must be one night for everyone. And if you know that the night
is coming on and that this night will be that particular night, then
take it and don't question it and don't talk about it to anyone ever
after that. For if you let it pass it might not come again. Many have
let it pass, many have seen it go by and have never seen another like it,
when all the circumstances of weather, light, moon and time, of night hill
and warm grass and train and town and distance were balanced upon the
trembling of a finger."
Old July 10th 03, 05:58 AM
Mike Berro

I discuss Halperin's ARC on my website (proofs part two), reprinted here by
permission:

There's an interesting story behind this book. James L. Halperin is an
expert numismatist, and co-owns a publishing company that published books
about coins. This is his first novel, and he self-published it (by Ivy
Press) in hardcover, reportedly in a run of 12,000 copies, for a cover price
of $22. It garnered a fair amount of attention online (I was one of the
first to mention it on the newsgroups), and Del Rey decided to buy it and
publish it themselves, which they did so for $24 each. I presume it sold
well, as Del Rey also published his second book. In this case, since Del Rey
had bought all of the remaining Ivy Press hardcovers, for the advance
reading copies they simply printed up some new dust jackets (glossy like
ordinary ones), and wrapped them around the Ivy Press books, and also
razored out the title/copyright page. If you didn't remove the DJ, you
wouldn't notice the it. This is the first and only such example I've found.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

Old July 10th 03, 12:54 PM
William M. Klimon

"Mike Berro" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Thanks, Mike. I see the cancel stub now and the imprint Ivy Press on the
spine.

This reminds me: In the late 1990s, Roman Catholic Books, a Colorado reprint
house, republished Eugenio Zolli's autobiography *Before the Dawn* (orig.
ed. New York: Sheed and Ward, 1954). Zolli had been the chief rabbi of Rome
and converted to Catholicism after WWII. RCB reprinted the book with the
rather pedestrian title *Why I Became a Catholic*. Friends of mine who are
interested in Zolli and objected to the new title bought up RCB's stock,
cancelled the title page and replaced it with a new one with the old title
and had new d.j.s printed. They are selling it still.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 10th 03, 04:15 PM
Eric Swartz

A slight correction. The Ivy Press edition of "The Truth Machine" had a
cover price of $19.95.

It also came with, at least mine did, a couple of reader survey postcards in
the front. (As well as the bound readers survey at the end.)

Eric Swartz

t...

Old July 11th 03, 02:04 AM
Tim Crawford

MindElec wrote in message
[...]

When did softcover ARC's become the norm? I have seen a few books from the
1950's and 60's, normal first editions, with cards dropped in by the
publisher announcing the new book. The oldest "ARC" in my collection is
Sinclair Lewis's "Our Mr. Wrenn" with a stamp across the top of the title
page in purple ink that announces "ADVANCE . COPY - NOT PUBLISHED."

Tim Crawford

Old July 11th 03, 03:59 PM
Tim Doyle

"Mike Berro" wrote in message et...
[...]

In reading this thread, I remembered seeing a copy of Halperin's "The
Truth Machine" in a box lot of books I picked up several months ago. I
tracked it down last night, and was surprised to see that it is the
original Ivy Press edition, with survey card laid in, and signed by
the author on the ffep. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Regards, Tim

FA: WWI U.S. Base Hospital #4 & #5 Somme Front Book, c. 1919 fishnet General 0 September 16th 04 01:41 AM
FA: 2-Days, WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
FA: WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 1st 04 12:45 AM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM