Rockola 490-1 free play on,says insert coins,won't play selection

Old October 30th 04, 01:59 PM
Jjmscf

Default Rockola 490-1 free play on,says insert coins,won't play selection

I finally killed my Rockola 490-1 by procastination.I knew the battery should
have been replaced but let it go.Sometimes if it sat a week without playing I
would have to put free play back on and the default pricing light would stay
lit.Today I wanted to play it and when I turned free play on the normal
operation light was lit.When I punch in the selection the insert coins light
blinks and then it erases my selection.Inserting a quarter or adding credits
with free play off does no good.Is this what it does if it loses all the
pricing programmed into it?I took the cover off the computer the battery is in
the right front bottom with no components underneath it(good thing) and doesn't
appear to be leaking so I don't think it damaged anything.The only way I can
get it to play is system test but I don't want to sit and listen to every
record in sequence,lol.If I replace it and reenter all the pricing will it work
or is something else wrong with this thing?
Old October 30th 04, 11:37 PM
Charlie Maier

I think your problem is more than just a battery. Dead batterrys will
clear pricing and put it to default. All default means is one for a
quarter. When you attempt to put it on free play, do you get the 99 in
the display? If you do and the normal op or default light is the only
one on, pricing is correct and it should work. Have you reset any of
the dip switches? Try it with only #7 on, this enables 200 select. The
others are for bonus pricing and testing. Note, a shorted battery can
cause goofy things to happen. Try removing the battery and see whay
happens without one. These batteries are 3.6 volt NI CADS not Lithium.
A lithium will not work properly, it doesn't charge. To use a lithiun
you most change a resistor to a blocking diode.

If you need, I sell the batteries and can also repair this computer.
Charlie Maier
Old October 31st 04, 01:40 AM
Jjmscf

I do get the 99 in the display.Before today it would forget it was on free play
and the default pricing led would be lit.I would put it on free play and it
would work fine.No w just the normal op light is lit,no pricing lights are
lit.Free play or adding credits doesn't matter.Credit shows but insert coin
light blinks just like there is no credit.Battery is not dead shorted.When on
has 2.5v on battery,however it quickly falls down to 1.3v when juke is
unplugged so it might be partially shorted.If charging voltage is supposed to
higher than 3.6 volts.I'll try unsoldering it.Any other ideas what to
check?Possibly not getting full 5v in the logic circuit?I'll check it if you
think that could be a possibility also.I'm not afraid to do a little
troublehooting myself.I repair consumer electronics for a living.Can you
believe it failed exactly 10 years to the date I bought this jukebox?Bought it
the last weekend of October,1994.Can't believe the battery lasted 19 years.It
remembered it was on free play and pricing and everything til a few months ago.
Old October 31st 04, 03:43 PM
Charlie Maier

Charging voltage without a load -no battery- is around 6 volts. If 5
volt power supply was low, would not boot up, stay in initialize-, try
all that I told you, also clean edge connectors. I don't think that
will help, but it won't hurt.
If you need a battery , I sell them. I can also repair the computer
for you.
Charlie Maier
Old November 2nd 04, 02:02 PM
Jjmscf

I removed the battery.Charging voltage is over 5v like you said.I tried it some
more afterward.I think it was the same before I took the battery out.It will
play all ending in 0,4,6 and 8 and that's it.100s or 200s.All others it doesn't
recognize there is a credit.It passes all the tests in the test column.I tried
programming the pricing.You should see some of the numbers stored in there.5.34
for a unit price! .86 for 55 plays!And why isn't the default pricing lit
anymore when it's plugged in.It did store the prices I put in as long as it was
plugged in but didn't help the playability issue.Went right back to the oddball
pricing table after being unplugged.Do you think the memory got corrupted by
the B+ line for the RAM being held low by the battery?Let me know how much for
battery and repair off list.