New Silver Marianne

Old June 4th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default New Silver Marianne

I have just received the new Silver Marianne, hermeticalled sealed to
a "credit card' ( for lack of better word. )
Translating the French on the back it states that the stamp will
corrode when exposed to the air and advises to leave it as received.
When I went to mount it next to the first Silver Marianne I got a
shock, this one has already tarnished all around the outer edge.
The first Silver Marianne was also on a "credit card" but was not
hermetically sealed. The stamp itself did have a loose plastic
covering.
The tarnish on this stamp reminded me of the old coin holders were the
coins tarnished around the edges, probably from the acid content in
the paper pages.
I just wonder if the new Silver Marianne will suffer from acid content
in the paper holder.
Any comments?

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old June 5th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Ralphael,
I am discombobulated!

If the stamp is hermetically sealed, then it should not
come into contact with any paper at all.
I should think leave it as advised.

You should invest in a scanner, we would like to see these
stamps old buddy

Old June 5th 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

I suspect that corrode is a bit too strong word.

It is more likely that the silver stamp would oxidize or tarnish.

Blair

Old June 5th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Raphael,

are we discusing postage stamps here or coins????

Surely this is NO postage stamp.....

groetjes, Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 6th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

Default (RCSD) Silver Stamps was New Silver Marianne

On Jun 5, 4:02*pm, Rein wrote:
Raphael,

are we discusing postage stamps here or coins????

Surely this is NO postage stamp.....

groetjes, Rein

Hello Rein:

Ralph is talking about the 2008 Marianne Stamp, a 5 euro silver stamp
from France.

La Poste presents this 2008 5 euro silver stamp made of 99.9% pure
silver.
Beautiful and collectible, this stamp is also a real pressure-
sensitive
5 euro postage stamp, and can be used in France to mail a package.

Marianne is a proud and determined woman wearing a Phrygian cap.
She's the national personification of the French Republic, and a
symbol
of Liberty. Her image has been used on most definitive stamps issued
in France since 1944, as well as on several commemorative stamps.

The silver stamp comes on a collectible card, which is sealed to
prevent
oxidation.
http://www.beautifulcoins.com/v/vspf...20200818-2.jpg

This is the second silver stamp from France.

The first silver stamp was issued by the Netherlands in 2001.
(2001, September 25. Surprise Silver stamp.)
It had a face value of 12.75 Guilders.
http://www.danstopicals.com/netherlands1082.jpg

TO COMMEMORATE WORLD YOUTH DAY 2008 "AUSTRALIA POST"
PRODUCED AUSTRALIA'S 1ST PURE SILVER STAMP
Here it is on a FDC.
http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!BTBD-T!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKi0EjlLmV1mnBKGRoTds5g~~_1.JPG

In 2007, Malta issued a silver stamp, but this one is not practical
for postage, in my opinion.. (an ingot stamp?)

Malta Proof Silver Stamp St. George Preca Limited Edition
Sealed In official presentation box with
Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
20grams 999.0 pure silver
Proof
Mintage: 2,000
Issued for the commemoration of the 1st Maltese Saint.
http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BSq2imwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKEYb3)SG!~~_1.JP G

China issued a silver alloy stamp for the Year of the Tiger.
http://x-coin.com/catalog/images/youpiao/tn_YP03-1.jpg

Blair

Old June 6th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

If you got blocked on the last link (China Silver
stamp), I have posted the image to cijoint.fr.
http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200906/cijR8FXn6w.jpg

Blair

Old June 7th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 5, 7:28*pm, Blair wrote:
On Jun 5, 4:02*pm, Rein wrote::

Some text snipped

Ralph is talking about the 2008 Marianne Stamp, a 5 euro silver stamp
from France.

La Poste presents this 2008 5 euro silver stamp made of 99.9% pure
silver.
Beautiful and collectible, this stamp is also a real pressure-
sensitive
5 euro postage stamp, and can be used in France to mail a package.

Marianne is a proud and determined woman wearing a Phrygian cap.
She's the national personification of the French Republic, and a
symbol
of Liberty. Her image has been used on most definitive stamps issued
in France since 1944, as well as on several commemorative stamps.

The silver stamp comes on a collectible card, which is sealed to
prevent
oxidation.http://www.beautifulcoins.com/v/vspf...20200818-2.jpg

How in the world did you get such a beautiful image? You must have
used a digital camera or picked from the French Poste website.

This is the second silver stamp from France.

You are correct again. The first silver stamp is the problem one. Not
hermetically sealed and mine has tarnished all around the edges. I
think the cause may be acid in the paper of the "credit card".
As always, you are my mentor.

Ralph

Blair

Old June 7th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 7, 9:14*am, Ralphael1 wrote:

This is the second silver stamp from France.

You are correct again. The first silver stamp is the problem one. Not
hermetically sealed and mine has tarnished all around the edges. I
think the cause may be acid in the paper of the "credit card".
As always, you are my mentor.

Ralph

I think it is less about acid in the paper and more about
exposure to Oxygen , in the air.

Same reason that your parents' silver tarnished.

Blair
Old June 9th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jan Doggen

Hi Raphael

Given that it is the second one they issue, I imagine they have recognized
the problem and sealed it properly this time. I have some of the Dutch
silver stamps that were issued years ago and alas, the one I have "in the
open" (although in an album) has turned an ugly bluish/grey from oxidation.
I myself am also to blame, I can see a partial fingerprint on it ;-) That
does not help.

Bye
Jan

"Ralphael1" schreef in bericht