Hello Pierre, Marianne

Old December 28th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Hello Pierre, Marianne

In my Marianne collection there is what Scott calls; Sabine, after
David (1977), Liberty, after Delacroix (1982), Marianne with no name
(1990) and Marianne with no name (1997).
Sabine looks Marianne, the Liberty does not. In your opinion are these
two Mariannes?
Can you add to the 1990 Marianne name. The 1997 Marianne I call flowing
hair variety.
I suppose using the Scott image number isn't so bad after all.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old December 28th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

Ralphael1 wrote:
In my Marianne collection there is what Scott calls; Sabine, after
David (1977), Liberty, after Delacroix (1982), Marianne with no name
(1990) and Marianne with no name (1997).
Sabine looks Marianne, the Liberty does not. In your opinion are these
two Mariannes?
Can you add to the 1990 Marianne name. The 1997 Marianne I call flowing
hair variety.
I suppose using the Scott image number isn't so bad after all.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Dear Ralphael, the OLD one,

Maybe this list will help.
According to this the 1990 Marianne is Bicentenial Marianne (Marianne du
Bicentenaire) and the 1997 Marianne, with the flowing hair, is Marianne
of July 14th (Marianne du 14 juillet).

1900-02 Mouchon
1900-27 Merson
1900-29 Blanc
1903-60 Sower - ligned
1906-38 Sower - cameo
1922-26 Pasteur
1932-39 Peace
1938-42 Mercure
1939-44 Iris
1941-42 Pétain
1941-66 Coat of Arms and Heraldry
1944 Coq et Marianne d'Alger
1944-45 Arc of Triomphe
1944-45 Marianne of Dulac
1945-47 Ceres of Mazelin
1945-54 Marianne of Gandon
1955- Marianne of Muller
1957-59 Reaper
1959-60 Marianne à la Nef
1960 Marianne of Decaris
1961 Marianne of Cocteau
1962-65 Cock of Decaris
1967-70 Marianne of Cheffer
1971-76 Marianne of Béquet
1977-81 Sabine of Gandon
1982-90 Liberty of Gandon
1989-96 Bicentenial Marianne
1997-04 Marianne of July 14th
2004-.. Marianne of Lamouche

Best regards,
Sir Hystrix.
Old December 28th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Sir Hystrix a écrit :
Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

, and ,
Best regards,
Sir Hystrix.

Hello; some more info:

1989: also known as Marianne de (of) Briat
1997: Also known as Marianne de (of) Luquet
after their designers names. Both were engraved by Jumelet.

The 1982 Gandon's Liberty is after a painting from
Delacroix, featuring the july 1830 fights in Paris. She
wears the phrygian cap, which makes her a Marianne more than
the 1977 Gandon's Sabine (after a painting by David, the
Sabin women stopping the fight between Romans and Sabins).
The Liberty is a fighting symbol, the Sabine is a peaceful
one. The Sabine stamp was approved by Pdt Giscard d'Estaing,
the Liberty stamp by Pdt Mitterand, and both may be seen as
political symbols in the french context.

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old December 30th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

text snipped for brevity...

Sir Hystrix many thanks for the information, you solved my problem
However, you created a problem with the addition of several Mariannes
that I did not consider Mariannes. Now I must make a maximum effort to
incorporate these into my collection. Maybe some day I will have all
the Mariannes. The Sower and Farm Woman I seriously considered as a
Marianne variety.
Again, thank you very much for solving my problem and the addition of
the new Mariannes. I am off to my local friendly stamp shop shortly in
search of Marianne. I do not expect I will find but one or two.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old December 30th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Hello; some more info:

1989: also known as Marianne de (of) Briat
1997: Also known as Marianne de (of) Luquet
after their designers names. Both were engraved by Jumelet.

The 1982 Gandon's Liberty is after a painting from
Delacroix, featuring the july 1830 fights in Paris. She
wears the phrygian cap, which makes her a Marianne more than
the 1977 Gandon's Sabine (after a painting by David, the
Sabin women stopping the fight between Romans and Sabins).
The Liberty is a fighting symbol, the Sabine is a peaceful
one. The Sabine stamp was approved by Pdt Giscard d'Estaing,
the Liberty stamp by Pdt Mitterand, and both may be seen as
political symbols in the french context.

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Thank you Bruno for the history lesson. I just happen to be one of
those vulgar Americans that know very little of French history. Because
of you and Sir Hystrix it looks like I may have to rebuild much of my
Marianne collection. Luckily most of it is in chronological/image order
and can remain the same.

Thanks again,

Ra;phael, the OLD one

Old January 21st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Ralphael1 wrote :

text snipped for brevity...

Sir Hystrix many thanks for the information, you solved my problem
However, you created a problem with the addition of several Mariannes
that I did not consider Mariannes. Now I must make a maximum effort to
incorporate these into my collection. Maybe some day I will have all
the Mariannes. The Sower and Farm Woman I seriously considered as a
Marianne variety.
Again, thank you very much for solving my problem and the addition of
the new Mariannes. I am off to my local friendly stamp shop shortly in
search of Marianne. I do not expect I will find but one or two.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Hello Ralph,

I am really very sorry to answer your query (of 30 Dec. last year !) so
late ...

I was no more reading rcsd and now I have more than 500 posts to read

Fortunately you got whithin a few hours from Sir Hystrix a very detailed
and comprehensive list of Mariannes then another helpful addition from
Bruno.

The only thing I have to add is that I would be very keen to help in
case you do not find a given Marianne in your local friendly stamp shop.

And I am always pleased to read your posts in rcsd !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old January 21st 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

I was no more reading rcsd and now I have more than 500 posts to read

Tch! Tch!
welcome back Pierre.

Old January 21st 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Pierre Courtiade wrote:
Ralphael1 wrote :

text snipped for brevity...

more text snipped for brevity...

Hello Ralph,

I am really very sorry to answer your query (of 30 Dec. last year !) so
late ...

I was no more reading rcsd and now I have more than 500 posts to read

Fortunately you got whithin a few hours from Sir Hystrix a very detailed
and comprehensive list of Mariannes then another helpful addition from
Bruno.

The only thing I have to add is that I would be very keen to help in
case you do not find a given Marianne in your local friendly stamp shop.

And I am always pleased to read your posts in rcsd !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

I have responded to Pierre off line. He has graciously offered his
assistence in filling the holes in my Marianne collection. I have been
doing some research on Marianne and searching local shops and stamp
shows for the lady. I have found many of my needs for just a few cents
each.
Today I am placing my acquisitions in my album and then I can determine
what I need.
There are several on Bruno's list that I do not care to collect because
I feel they do not fall into the Marianne category. ( Ceres, Mercury
and Cock.) I do not like the Dali version nor the Jean Eiffel version
and will not include them in my collection.

Thanks again everyone, you have nudged me into doing my homework on
French history.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old January 30th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

Ralphael1 wrote:
In my Marianne collection there is what Scott calls; Sabine, after
David (1977), Liberty, after Delacroix (1982), Marianne with no name
(1990) and Marianne with no name (1997).
Sabine looks Marianne, the Liberty does not. In your opinion are these
two Mariannes?
Can you add to the 1990 Marianne name. The 1997 Marianne I call flowing
hair variety.
I suppose using the Scott image number isn't so bad after all.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Hey Ralphael, the OLD one,

I don't know if you already knew about this but while I was looking and
searching for an Andorra catalog, I came across this 96-page Yvert
catalog for Marianne of Cheffer.

For your information.
http://www.kosel.com/c/sh/d.p?l=en;0=KAYVMA00;r=yvert

Best regards,