Star Archive

Old September 30th 03, 01:11 AM
Mike Hoffman

Default Star Archive

Hi Everyone:
Im as dissapointed as all of you are,Star Archive has been an awesome
resource for me-and now it becomes a question of finances I already
subscribe to Autograph Times and try and follow all the info there and
Autograph Collector.com and I agree it now depends on all of us to share our
resources.
I got one in the mail other day-I spent 10.00 at
http://www.rowdyroddypiper.com
and recieved an 8 x10 Signed photo from Roddy Piper.I Do want to thank
Markus for sharing his information with us since he started the website and
honestly wish him well as he puts the info up for sell..
You can use any of my info at http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mikesoffice
anytime at all for free.I will try and be better at posting my successes now
that Star Archive is not free..
Mike

---

Old October 6th 03, 09:19 AM
Hobby Insider

Well, I don't mind subscribing to Stararchives. I know their bandwidth cost
was expensive.

Hobby Insider * www.hobbyinsider.com

Old October 6th 03, 07:19 PM
skellington

I don't mind paying either, but the thing that bothers me about this
is that now SA will no longer be the "place to go" because now only a
limited number of people who pay for membership can access it and
submit their successes/failures. Before when everyone could go access
and submit, people knew that SA was where the information was, and
they contributed their own successes/failures there as well. Now that
you have to pay to access the site, I fear the volume of information
will go way down and SA will loose its status as the "definitive"
resource for autograph collectors.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

~skellington

Old October 6th 03, 07:28 PM
Hobby Insider

Good point. Then stararchives will die off. They should keep it free and
just have pay for extras...

--
Hobby Insider
www.hobbyinsider.com
om...

Old October 7th 03, 02:13 AM
Gummby3

You make perfect sense. While SA was the place to go in it's day, the
information will slow down. It's inevitable. What Markus (or Marcus, I've
read it both ways), is essentially doing is trimming the branches from his
tree. This may work to his advantage. I would say that maybe 60% of the
people that came to his site was there for information only and never left
any information in return. That leaves 40% of his users giving information.
Out of that, maybe 10% were leaving bogus information just for the "fun" of
it. That would leave 30% of the people contributing. That means that there
already was a small percentage even helping out with the site. If that
small percentage of people is cut in half by his charging a fee now, I
honestly can't see how helpful the site is going to be for the paying
customers. Only time is going to tell if it's going to pay off in the long
run...

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net

A1 Autographs Group Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1_autographs/

Old October 7th 03, 10:02 AM
KellyMonro007

If it cost $1/month...I doubt many people would be too angry...I mean, 1
autograph is worth that buck...and in return you are helping the site by
letting others know that a certain address worked...And the webmaster would
rake in a good amount of $, but I am afraid that greed will have that site
closed within a year because only a small percentage will sign up...

Be good,

KM.