New Collector.

Old August 24th 04, 04:03 AM
NizateTX

Default New Collector.

Hello All.

I am wanting to start collecting coins from around the world. I am not looking
for anything special, I would just like to have a set of coins from as many
countries as I can collect.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about getting started. I have looked
on ebay and prices just seem to insane. Others have told me to seek out people
in the countries I am interested in. That seems the best way.

So that being said, is there anyone in this group that would be willing to help
me get started or have any ideas, help, or anything. I would greatly appreciate
it.

Thanks all,

Old August 24th 04, 05:37 AM
NizateTX

I'm in Texas.
Old August 24th 04, 12:44 PM
Michael E. Marotta

(NizateTX) wrote
I am wanting to start collecting coins from around the world. ...
from as many countries as I can collect.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about getting started.

The best way to start is to find a coin store in your area,
preferrably one whose owner is a member of the American Numismatic
Association. ANA Dealers are pledged to a Code of Ethics. You are
still responsible for your side, of course, but they are more likely
to be helpful in a lot of ways you might not appreciate yet. You
might also consider joining the closest coin club. Your fellow
collectors can be a lifeline or safety net and are usually more than
helpful.

Quoting Aaron Feldman, we say, "Buy the book before you buy the coin."
In a sense, online presentation is one kind of "book" but for most
collectors of world coins, The Book is THE STANDARD CATALOG OF WORLD
COINS published by Krause. It is expensive, but it comes out every
year and older editions are cheaper.

I think there are over 200 countries in the Olympics. Puerto Rico is
one such "country" -- and borders change. We have two republics where
once there was "Czechoslovakia" and five where "Yugoslavia" used to
be. Germany, France, etc., are all on the Euro now, with "national"
sides to their standard coinage. So, if you collect world coins from
each country, you need to think about what you mean by that.

Some people collect the lowest denomination in each series, a global
"penny" collection. Some collect the monetary standard -- one dollar,
one franc, one rouble -- but these are not always available as coins.
In the case of the USA, the standard "dollar" coin is equally a
Sacagawea and a Susan B. Anthony. So, you have some choices to make.

Some collectors of world coins follow the "stamp collecting" mode and
pursue themes -- ships, flowers, Olympics, etc.

Finally, there is a wide range of Non-Circulating Legal Tender. These
are technically "official" coins that are really special issues,
beautiful (or ugly) commemoratives sruck in proof or sold in
uncirculated condition. The modern US commemoratives for police
officers, civil war, etc., etc., are in this class.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Mike M.
Old August 24th 04, 04:09 PM
Coin Saver

From: NizateTX

I am wanting to start collecting coins from around the world. I would like to

have a set of coins from as many countries as I can collect. I'm in Texas.

I might have a few, but I'm in California. Does that count?

eMail me at
minus the last m

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old August 24th 04, 04:34 PM
Sean Moffatt

(NizateTX) wrote in message ...

I've been doing world coins since the days of my youth, my wife says
I never left. World coins are great because there is so much variety
and many dealers (not just coin dealers) dont know or care what they
are and just want to turn them around for a quick profit. I have
scored numerous times at flea markets, antique stores, pawn shops and
even coin dealers that specialize in US coins who just wanted to get
rid of the world coins (AKA foreign junk)they have ammassed. If you
are on a budget good place to start is digging through "junk boxes".
Flea markets, pawn shops, antique stores. You may go through alot of
actual junk, and stuff that is ridicuously over priced,(especially in
antique stores), but there is great stuff out there. Again dealers who
specialize in US coins many times have a box of world coins that has
grown that they just want to get rid of. There is nothing wrong with
visiting world coin dealers as well, often times they have the more
elusive coins that you will probably never find in a box no matter how
long you look. I highly advise attending local coin shows. I never
seem to stay within my budget when I go, so beware. Coin clubs are
another great place to meet people who collect the same thing you do
or want to unload the same thing you want. Clubs are a great place to
exchange numismatic treasures. To get a large batch of minors at once
in relative "unc" condition Educational coin company
(
http://www.educationalcoin.com/) has a package of 250 different coins
in "unc" (or reasonably close) for a decent price. Even though it may
be retail priced it is easier than trying to get all the coins
seperately. I bought a 250 piece bag several years ago and was amazed
at how many holes it filled in my large collection. There are many
other world coin dealers on line. Joel Anderson pops into my mind
(http://www.joelscoins.com/). There are many others out there as well.
But expect to pay retail prices, (which is why I like "junk" boxes).
I would like to stress quality over quanity, it really does pay off
in the long run.

Happy hunting
Sean Moffatt

Old August 25th 04, 02:40 AM
Richard L. Hall

I collect world coins from the year I was born, 1943. Not surprisingly,
there are a very large number of coins available from around the world and
it is probably best to find a theme. You might want to go to your local
library or large book store and see if they have the Standard Cataog Of
World Coins available to browse. Or you can buy a copy yourself although
they are expensive.

You might also want to see if there are any coin stores near you or if there
are any coin shows. Those are good places to buy coins.