Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Old March 2nd 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
seattle_bookseller

Default Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 1:46 pm, "Bob F." wrote:
On Mar 2, 4:43 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:

I knew it. You haven't got the guts to post your own Store feedback.

Even if I was the worse vendor on Amazon it wouldn't change the fact
that you Amazon feedback sucks.
Nice try though.

if it sucks, Powell's and every other large retailer does as well. It
doesn't though, as its on the high end for my volume.

Post your own feedback, or shut up.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
seattle_bookseller

I am inline with the identical ratings of the well established of
Powell's books and other high volume online vendors. And even
AMAZON's own internal fulfillment rate is only 2% points higher than
mine is!

You need a reality check, and then some.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob F.

On Mar 2, 4:48 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
vomited forth the following:

if it sucks, Powell's and every other large retailer does as well. It
doesn't though, as its on the high end for my volume.

You just don't get it, do you?
The fact that other vendors have the same or lower feedback than you
doesn't mitigate the fact that your feedback stinks.
Your so-called "volume" is a tiny fraction of what Powell's is.
And since when did Powell's become the standard by which other vendors
are judged?
I've bought books from them and found there service just so-so. Not so
bad as I wouldn't buy from them again but not so good as they are my
vendor of choice.

Post your own feedback, or shut up.

Like I told you before pinhead, other people's feedback isn't the
issue.

The only thing you've accomplished today is prove to the world that
they probably wouldn't enjoy doing business with you.

Old March 2nd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob F.

On Mar 2, 4:54 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
I am inline with the identical ratings of the well established of
Powell's books and other high volume online vendors. And even
AMAZON's own internal fulfillment rate is only 2% points higher than
mine is!

You need a reality check, and then some.

You probably have an offensive body odor!

Old March 2nd 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
seattle_bookseller

On Feb 10, 11:18 am, "Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)"
wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:46 am, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

We still do not know why you did not buy a couple
of copies at $250 and offer to sell them to this dealer
at $350.

For starts, because he's abusive in response to straightforward
questions; secondly, because (based on his Amazon rating, and on
complaints about his previous incarnation as "texas_bookseller") he
appears to be dishonest.

You never sent me an email. I have never communicated with you about
the 'Picatrix' or for that matter ANY other book. Post the email with
headers, if you have it. But you don't, as its entirely fictional.
Who is dishonest here? You are dishonest, David Schlesinger!

Old March 2nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

On Mar 2, 5:34 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:

You never sent me an email. I have never communicated with you about
the 'Picatrix' or for that matter ANY other book. Post the email with
headers, if you have it. But you don't, as its entirely fictional.
Who is dishonest here? You are dishonest, David Schlesinger!

Hey B.O. Plenty, I hate to tell you this but your credibility in this
groups is, shall we say, not too good!

Old March 2nd 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

On Feb 10, 10:18 am, "Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)"
wrote:
This kind of pricing seems like nothing more than gouging to me. I
could buy two copies of this book for what this yoyo is asking for it.
I can only assume that he's doing business on a basis of relying on
his customers being ignorant and not doing their research. Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

One simply can not "price gouge" on a non-essential item.
If you don't want to pay his price, you are free to look elsewhere.
Granted, the seller in question is an anus in search of a butt crack
but he ISN'T a price gouger.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Chris Charles

Wow! I don't believe I've dealt with this seller, but after reading the
cranky and intemperate postings here, I don't think I'd be inclined to take
the risk if I could get the item somewhere else, even at a higher price.

FWIW, Amazon feedback in the low '90s is below the threshold for me and most
of the people I discuss such things with. I can understand why Powell's
might be there (if indeed they are), since their lowest-priced books
generally aren't really described and, although they don't come out and say
so, seem to be more or less "as-is"; you pay the low price and take your
chances. That's been my experience, at least, and it seems like a legitimate
practice since proper description and cataloguing cost money and thus
require a higher price.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob F.

On Mar 2, 7:17 pm, "Chris Charles"
wrote:

FWIW, Amazon feedback in the low '90s is below the threshold for me and most of the people I discuss such things with.

How low is too low?
A lot depends on the number of transactions a seller has had but for
me 94% is the general cutoff point.
The "star" rating are ludicrous, since somebody can have a 85%-90%
rank and STILL have more than 4 "stars".
A lot of people give out 5 "stars" for what, to me, is merely a
satisfactory (4 "star") transaction.
Merely delivering an item within Amazon's prescribed time frame
(which, IMHO, is ludicrously long) does not make a transaction
"Excellent".
I generally give 5 "stars" when an item arrives withing a week or so
(depending on where it's coming from).
4 "stars" for 1 week to 10 days.
3 "stars" for 11 to 16 days.
Either 1 or 2 "stars" for worse than that, depending on if the seller
responded to emails or not.
Clearly "seattle_bookseller" would not be a vendor of choice for me -
even before his meltdown here today.

Old March 3rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

wrote:
This kind of pricing seems like nothing more than gouging to me. I
could buy two copies of this book for what this yoyo is asking for it.
I can only assume that he's doing business on a basis of relying on
his customers being ignorant and not doing their research. Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

One simply can not "price gouge" on a non-essential item.
If you don't want to pay his price, you are free to look elsewhere.

I agree with Bob on this one. You cannot price gouge a non-essential
item. There is NO circumstance that I can imagine where the term can be
applied to a situation involving a collectable.

It might apply in a situation where the only available copy of a book
that contains instructions on how to perform some emergency procedure
was being offered for sale, but in that case the book isn't being sold
as a collectable, but rather as a source of vital information.

--
Scot Kamins
Maintaining the Modern Library collectors website