A New Experience

Old December 1st 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default A New Experience

A friend gave me some foreign coins last night and I have really been
enjoying looking through them. I had no idea that some countries mint coins
that have inscriptions running along the outer edge of the coin. I have some
such coins here from Germany, France and the Netherlands. Very cool stuff to
examine and study!

Larry
'likes them on the edge like that!'

Old December 1st 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:14:58 GMT, "Larry Louks"
wrote:

A friend gave me some foreign coins last night and I have really been
enjoying looking through them. I had no idea that some countries mint coins
that have inscriptions running along the outer edge of the coin. I have some
such coins here from Germany, France and the Netherlands. Very cool stuff to
examine and study!

Larry
'likes them on the edge like that!'

Larry,

Whole bunch of early US coins have lettered edges. Take a look at the
bust halves and you will abandon all other collecting pursuits.
Happy Holidays!
Cliff

Old December 1st 05, 01:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Cliff" offered a reply:
Whole bunch of early US coins have lettered edges. Take a look at the
bust halves and you will abandon all other collecting pursuits.
Happy Holidays!
Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. Happy Holidays to you, too!

Yes, I knew that some early U.S. coins had lettered edges (I have a few of
'em), but didn't know about other countries doing it. But then, as far as
foreign coins go, what I know about them would fit in a thimble with plenty
of room left over. ;-)

Larry

Old December 1st 05, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
"Cliff" offered a reply:
Whole bunch of early US coins have lettered edges. Take a look at the
bust halves and you will abandon all other collecting pursuits.
Happy Holidays!
Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. Happy Holidays to you, too!

Yes, I knew that some early U.S. coins had lettered edges (I have a few of
'em), but didn't know about other countries doing it. But then, as far as
foreign coins go, what I know about them would fit in a thimble with
plenty of room left over. ;-)

Larry

Saint Gaudens $20 Pieces have lettered edges, as well as some early Large
Cents.

Old December 1st 05, 03:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Larry Louks wrote:

I had no idea that some countries mint coins
that have inscriptions running along the outer edge of the coin.

Yes, quite a few do that. And if you look at the edges of ¤2 coins or
the British £2 pieces for example, those are even milled _and_ lettered.
Except that some euro countries merely put a row of 2s there :-) while
others have the country name or some motto.

The edge inscriptions of the Swiss 5 fr coins are particularly
interesting IMO: They switched from elevated edge lettering to incused
lettering in 1985, and back to elevated (a little different though)
about ten years later ...

Christian
Old December 1st 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:36:12 GMT, "Larry Louks"
wrote:

"Cliff" offered a reply:
Whole bunch of early US coins have lettered edges. Take a look at the
bust halves and you will abandon all other collecting pursuits.
Happy Holidays!
Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. Happy Holidays to you, too!

Yes, I knew that some early U.S. coins had lettered edges (I have a few of
'em), but didn't know about other countries doing it. But then, as far as
foreign coins go, what I know about them would fit in a thimble with plenty
of room left over. ;-)

Larry

Larry,

If you ever make it to Georgia I'll be happy to let you look through
50 or 60 pounds of foreign coins for lettered edge stuff. If I get
some time, I'll pull out a box or two and take a look and let you know
if I find anything.
Cliff

Old December 2nd 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
A friend gave me some foreign coins last night and I have really been
enjoying looking through them. I had no idea that some countries mint coins
that have inscriptions running along the outer edge of the coin. I have
some such coins here from Germany, France and the Netherlands. Very cool
stuff to examine and study!

Larry
'likes them on the edge like that!'

Larry:

Want a real eye opener?

Buy yourself a "2006 Standard Catalog of World Coins" 33rd Edition. This
book is 3.25" thick and has 2,335 pages of information.

Besides being BIG and BULKY, it's been one of the best investments I have
made in reference material.

You will want to spend hours looking through it and then you'll start
looking for different world coins to add to your collection.

I had already gathered three 2" three ring notebooks full of world coins and
needed something to be able to identify them. This book has been wonderful
so far.

Daniel :-}