Bekgian cancel ID help

Old April 28th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild

Default Bekgian cancel ID help

A friend has asked if I can get him some information on the Exaerde oval
cancel in the image posted at:

http://cjoint.com/?eComupUbTe

So far all I've been able to do is confirm the existence of a Belgian town
named Exaerde. But the oval cancel is not familiar to me. Can anybody add
to what little I've found?
--
Stan

Old April 28th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:17:26 -0400, "Stan Fairchild"
wrote:

A friend has asked if I can get him some information on the Exaerde oval
cancel in the image posted at:

http://cjoint.com/?eComupUbTe

So far all I've been able to do is confirm the existence of a Belgian town
named Exaerde. But the oval cancel is not familiar to me. Can anybody add
to what little I've found?

One feature of your cancel is that there are 2 overlapping CDS. This
"may" be the reason it looks oval. Take a look at the double "D".
Looks like a split in the cancels above the first "E".

Just a quick opinion. I have seen some stretched CDS on other Belgian
stamps, but always thought that they were mis-struck.

The only "true" ovals I have seen are on straight-line with oval
frame, from Liers and the Brussels parcel post #1,2,3 cancels on the
early '30s stamps. These ovals are horizontal, left to right.

Also, I have seen the newspaper cancels of the late 18th and early
19th century on regular stamps. These tend to be vertical.

I would look closer at the cancel.

Old April 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
hvschaik

Default Belgian cancel ID help

Look at:
http://www.belgiumview.com/belgiumview/viewpage.php4?volgnummer=0&taal=1&voterid=&bg=&vie wid=2077&blad=view&hoofdbladvan=hitparade&bijbladv an=hitlijst&pictoshow=main&fromrecnbr=0&naamlike=& vanview=&mapx=&mapy=&termnr=&beroepid=&hedendaags= 1&term=&soortcrit=19&titel=Kasteel%20d'Exaerde%20( te%20Humelgem)%20STEENOKKERZEEL&fromelrcd=
Old Castel, empty, no inhabitants