What would you do?

Old March 18th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default What would you do?

In article , "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote:
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
PC wrote:
As a dealer I would not expect someone to let me redeem myself from
such a mistake. As a collector I would wrestle with the ethics.

http://coins.about.com/b/2009/03/17/...d-1893-s-morga
n.htm

The scenario for this week's Coin Dealer Ethics question was
originally published in Numismatic News in mid-January. Ever since
then, the scenario has been debated in the News' Letters to the
Editor section virtually every week, with many weeks having several
letters about this interesting situation. I thought that my readers
might enjoy discussing it, too, since it seems to resonate with lots
of people. You can read the entire original article about the
overlooked 1893-S Morgan Dollar, but I'll distill the essential
facts, as I see them, here.
In 2005, Dave Lembke bought a few small piles of Morgan Dollars from
his local coin dealer for $7 to $9 each, a price that was just a
little over the silver value of the coins at the time. He took the
Morgans home and stashed them in his safe until he had time to check
them for VAMs. (VAMs are popular Morgan Dollar die varieties.) On
December 24, 2005, Dave had some time to look at the Morgans, and
was amazed to discover that one of them was a rare and valuable
1893-S.

He took the coin to the dealer he bought it from for $7, asking the
dealer how much he would pay for it. In Dave's account, he admits
that he didn't want to tell the dealer that the coin had been sold
by him for $7, because he didn't want to make the dealer "hang
himself." The dealer offered $2,100 for the 1893-S Morgan if it was
certified as being genuine.
Dave sent the coin in for grading, and it came back graded "VF
Details Net F-15" (which means the coin had some surface damage that
prevented it from attaining a full, unqualified VF grade, in this
case a minor surface scratch and some edge dings.) The important
news was that the rare 1893-S Morgan Dollar was genuine.

Although he held onto the coin for awhile, Dave eventually sold it
to buy his wife a better car. He took it to a second coin dealer to
get another offer, and the dealer agreed to pay Dave $3,150 for the
coin, which Dave accepted.

The bottom line is that Dave turned a $7 investment into a $3,150
sale, primarily because the dealer who sold the coin had overlooked
it when he sold it.

Numismatic News readers have brought up a number of points while
discussing this little adventure. Some readers took Dave to task for
not being honest with the first dealer. They thought he should have
taken the coin back and admitted that it was in the batch, since no
dealer in his right mind would have sold an 1893-S Morgan for $7.
Other readers were more annoyed at Dave for not wanting to tell the
dealer where he got the coin, considering this to be a form of
lying. At least one person thought it was wrong to offer the coin
for sale back to the same dealer he got it from under these
circumstances.

Taking the other side of things, a couple of readers felt that Dave
had done nothing wrong at all; the dealer should have known what he
was selling. Some readers even thought the first dealer was a crook,
offering more than $1,000 less than others would pay for the coin,
so he deserved what he got by selling the $7 Morgan.

Interestingly, among the Numismatic News readers who took the time
to write a Letter to the Editor, most of them believed that Dave
was in the wrong for one reason or another.

What do you think? Should Dave have fessed up and returned the coin?
Or was it the dealer's loss for not checking his junk silver more
carefully before selling it? Share your comments below, and next
week I'll do a follow-up column quoting some of the more interesting
reader responses.

If such an event ever impinges upon my life, I will decide at that
future time what action to take, based on the unique set of
circumstances surrounding it. Meanwhile, I will continue my inquest
into the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

James

it's 11 sccording to that aquinas guy.

He was wrong. Modern string theory allows for seven or eight additional
dimensions, which would necessarily yield a very large number.

James

hmmm, yes, and if the ee smith star drive were used to accelerate a body to
almost light speed, smooth peanut butter would turn crunchy. correct?
Old March 18th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

PC wrote:
[...]

No question at all in my mind about that.

James

i bet you also know the orange peel jelly law of physics that turns
the peels
into chop-marked trade dollars?

Now that one I'm not familiar with.

James

Old March 18th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

PC wrote:
[...]

it's a side effect of the cheops principal, ie, a elephant is a mouse
built to
government spec. a equal part of klinks constant. you know, there is
no radio
in the coffee pot?

I was under the impression that Cheops was a Pharaoh, complete with his own
pyramid. Shows you what I know.

James

Old March 19th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

wrote:

it's a side effect of the cheops principal, ie, a elephant is a mouse built to
government spec. a equal part of klinks constant. you know, there is no radio
in the coffee pot?

Hey! You got any more of that stuff you are smoking? 8-)
Old March 19th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:28:13 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"

wrote:
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

If such an event ever impinges upon my life, I will decide at that
future time what action to take, based on the unique set of
circumstances surrounding it. Meanwhile, I will continue my inquest
into the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

James

it's 11 sccording to that aquinas guy.

He was wrong. Modern string theory allows for seven or eight additional
dimensions, which would necessarily yield a very large number.

But those dimensions are apparently very tiny--probably less than
one angel in size.

take care,
Scott
"measurements while you wait"
Old March 19th 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
If such an event ever impinges upon my life, I will decide at that
future time what action to take, based on the unique set of
circumstances surrounding it. Meanwhile, I will continue my inquest
into the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

Angels don't dance!

Natalie Wood was an angel, and she definitely danced.

Perhap, perhaps not. Nevertheless, I strongly doubt she danced on the
head of a pin.

Old March 19th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dik T. Winter

In article "Bruce Remick" writes:
I'd side with Dave. Assuming he bought them as bullion coins and the dealer
was selling them as such. If one looks back a few decades, when all types
of people were selling their silver during the boom, would the typical
dealer recontact a seller if what the seller cashed in turned out to be a
rare silver teapot or say an 1893-S dollar? Unlikely. Most would feel that
the buyer got what he wanted from the sale.

Indeed. If Dave came back stating that the dealer made an error, would the
dealer go back to the person whom he bought it from?
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
Old March 19th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj[_2_]

"Dik T. Winter" wrote in message
In article "Bruce Remick"
writes:
I'd side with Dave. Assuming he bought them as bullion coins and
the dealer
was selling them as such. If one looks back a few decades, when
all types
of people were selling their silver during the boom, would the
typical
dealer recontact a seller if what the seller cashed in turned out
to be a
rare silver teapot or say an 1893-S dollar? Unlikely. Most would
feel that
the buyer got what he wanted from the sale.

Indeed. If Dave came back stating that the dealer made an error,
would the
dealer go back to the person whom he bought it from?

If he couldn't identify the seller, the question is moot. If he could
identify the seller, the answer would be a resounding...

"Of course not!"