Question about John Grishams' A Time to Kill

Old September 7th 04, 06:27 AM
Gregg P.

Default Question about John Grishams' A Time to Kill

Hi,
I found a copy of John Grishams' A Time To Kill in almost perfect/fine
condition. The publisher is Wynwood Press. Is this a Book Club copy? There
is no price tag on the jacket, but it doesn't say it's a book club book..
The copywright page says "Copywrite 1989 by John Grisham, Published by
Wynwood Press". No printing numbers, etc.
A bio I read elsewhere says that A Time To Kill was published by DoubleDay,
not Wynwood Press. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gregg Palmer
(fyi, not related to Bill Palmer, who frequently posts here).

Old September 7th 04, 03:20 PM
Kris Baker

"Gregg P." wrote in message
Hi,
I found a copy of John Grishams' A Time To Kill in almost perfect/fine
condition. The publisher is Wynwood Press. Is this a Book Club copy? There
is no price tag on the jacket, but it doesn't say it's a book club book..
The copywright page says "Copywrite 1989 by John Grisham, Published by
Wynwood Press". No printing numbers, etc.
A bio I read elsewhere says that A Time To Kill was published by

DoubleDay,
not Wynwood Press. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gregg Palmer
(fyi, not related to Bill Palmer, who frequently posts here).

The four "easy" points that distinguish the first:

Wynwood Press, 1989.
Price of 18.95 on flap.
DJ flap must NOT mention later book "The Firm"
Bar code on flap.

Kris

Old September 7th 04, 03:23 PM
Dick Stephens

"Gregg P." wrote in message
Hi,
I found a copy of John Grishams' A Time To Kill in almost perfect/fine
condition. The publisher is Wynwood Press. Is this a Book Club copy? There
is no price tag on the jacket, but it doesn't say it's a book club book..
The copywright page says "Copywrite 1989 by John Grisham, Published by
Wynwood Press". No printing numbers, etc.
A bio I read elsewhere says that A Time To Kill was published by

DoubleDay,
not Wynwood Press. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gregg Palmer
(fyi, not related to Bill Palmer, who frequently posts here).

The book was first published in very small numbers by Wynwood. Your copy is
almost certainly a later book club copy. The Doubleday edition was printed
after Grisham achieved some success with follow-up book(s).

The book club copies of A Time to Kill which I've seen all list on the
second or third page The Firm as another Grisham book, which was his second
title and not known at the time of the original trade edition. Also, the
jacket is somewhat different, with the words "A Novel of Retribution" toward
the bottom.

Book club copies are actually quite common.

Dick Stephens

Old September 7th 04, 03:45 PM
Gregg P.

Addendum to my first note: I've since found out that his first novel, "A
Time To Kill", was published by Wynwood Press, not Doubleday.
The publishing points at "collectbooks.about.com" say that Wynwood Press
uses a "Copyright year with no additional printing notices. Later Editions
are identified as such".
The copyright page has no 'First Edition' notice, nor any printing numbers
( 10 9 8 7, etc).
The book has red boards with a black spine, with gold letters and the
Wynwood logo.
The ONE thing that makes me think this is NOT a first edition is this: The
inside flap of the dust jacket mentions 'The Firm', Grishoms' second novel.
Could it be a second printing of the first edition?
Any help/insight is very much appreciated.

Gregg Palmer

Old September 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Dick Stephens

"Gregg P." wrote in message
Addendum to my first note: I've since found out that his first novel, "A
Time To Kill", was published by Wynwood Press, not Doubleday.
The publishing points at "collectbooks.about.com" say that Wynwood Press
uses a "Copyright year with no additional printing notices. Later Editions
are identified as such".
The copyright page has no 'First Edition' notice, nor any printing numbers
( 10 9 8 7, etc).
The book has red boards with a black spine, with gold letters and the
Wynwood logo.
The ONE thing that makes me think this is NOT a first edition is this: The
inside flap of the dust jacket mentions 'The Firm', Grishoms' second

novel.
Could it be a second printing of the first edition?
Any help/insight is very much appreciated.

See Kris Baker's and my earlier responses.

There was no second printing of the Wynwood trade edition.

This is a book club copy.

Dick Stephens