Failed Intercept Shield Album

Old October 15th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bones

Default Failed Intercept Shield Album

I just checked by Intercept Shield Album for Silver Eagles. Toning is
developing on several coins. The 1993 eagle shows early signs of
classic ring toning.

I know some people like toning -- I don't. Bought these Intercept
Shield albums to minimize this from happening. We needed time to see
if these things actually work? Well, in my experience they don't.
These albums have no advantage over any other.

Any other Intercept Shield experiences out there?

Old October 15th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:55:42 -0700, Bones wrote:

Any other Intercept Shield experiences out there?

I bought the Intercept Shield promise too. I have a 2000 American
Silver Eagle that has developed fairly pronounced and unattractive
toning inside an Intercept Shield box. It's not in an Internet Shield
holder, but I would have expected the box to provide more protection
than this over seven years. I'm not in a polluted area, the coins are
not near any high-sulfur materials, and the heat and humidity are low
where the coins are stored.

Right now virtually all of my stuff is in safety flips or slabs inside
Intercept Shield boxes. I may just toss the Intercept Shield boxes and
convenient, with their three internal compartments.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old October 16th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Bones wrote:
I just checked by Intercept Shield Album for Silver Eagles. Toning is
developing on several coins. The 1993 eagle shows early signs of
classic ring toning.

I know some people like toning -- I don't. Bought these Intercept
Shield albums to minimize this from happening. We needed time to see
if these things actually work? Well, in my experience they don't.
These albums have no advantage over any other.

Any other Intercept Shield experiences out there?

I have a set of red Lincoln Cents from 1934 to date in an Intercept
Shield album in my house simply sitting on a bookshelf.

Afer your post I pullerd the album from its special slipcase and
looked at thecoins. I see absolutely no mellowing or deepining of
color at all.

My high value collection is kept in various large safe deposit boxes
in several diferent bank vaults. Th3e slabbed coins (all are in slabs)
are in the 2 part Intercept
Shield Box system with the small inner capsule in a speciall treated
box. None of my coins has changed from what I can see, and I was
looking at both red Lincolbn Cents and most Ch BU Type Coins. The
white ones have remained white and the
toned coins seem to look the same. Perhaps its the controlled climate
system of the bank responsible, but that doesn't explain the lack of
color change in the raw red Lincolns sitting on an open shelf in my
family room. Perhaps the Mint putthese SAE's tru a special bath prior
to putting them into presentation boxes and this bath has made the
surfaces chemically active. Just a theory.

Ira