Artifical toning? Should I submit?

Old August 3rd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Artifical toning? Should I submit?

reality wrote:
Gary Loveless wrote:
On 2 Aug 2006 08:27:34 -0700, wrote:

Could anyone shed some light on whether or not I should submit this
coin or is it Artifical Toning? Once again thanks to John Carney's
wonderful site!

http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/mrcoin.html

Thanks,
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Hard to say, the Obverse looks NT, and the Reverse looks AT........

Gary

Looks like toned spot bullion silver to me. SAEs are bullion, nothing
more, nothing less.

I have a few "toned" Englehard 1oz silver bars from the 80s if somebody
wants them for $1000 each. LOL

I'll do you one better than that...$750 and it's yours.

Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Old August 3rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Artificial toning? Should I submit?

BBQ n BLUES wrote:
Another tip:

Wrap your coins in a Taco Bell napkin for accelerated toning !

(according a post in the CU forums)

Fasinating,
would Taco Bueno do? :P

Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Old August 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 2 Aug 2006 08:27:34 -0700, wrote:
Could anyone shed some light on whether or not I should submit this
coin or is it Artifical Toning?
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/mrcoin.html

Ugh.

I can't imagine spending money to have that slabbed. Look at it this
way - toning takes decades to develop, and that coin hasn't had the
time. If it had had the time, it wouldn't tone like that. I'd say dip
the mofo and add it to the stack of bullion as it was intended to be
used.

Thanks for the reply, not very useful though. Wouldn't want to dip
many coins and esp. not this one AT or NT is a real beauty.

Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Old August 3rd 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Could anyone shed some light on whether or not I should submit this
coin or is it Artifical Toning? Once again thanks to John Carney's
wonderful site!

http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/mrcoin.html

Thanks,
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

The most you could lose is $50.00 and have them say that it's
artificial toning.

You are correct sir, so if it was NT, what would be the upside price
realized on Ebay?

Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Old August 3rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Amistad wrote:
wondered about it, so tossed out the query:
Could anyone shed some light on whether or not I should submit this
coin or is it Artifical Toning?

You could surely classify me as an aficionado who enjoys toned coins in most
cases. And what one man really likes and appreciates, another may treat
with disdain. That SAE looks like it was baked in an oven with sulfur or
something sprinkled on it. But if it turns you on, heck, it's your to
enjoy!

Amistad
'not something that I would slab'

Me thinks you are correct.

Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
ANA #173222

Old August 3rd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Bill Krummel wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 2 Aug 2006 08:27:34 -0700,
wrote:
Could anyone shed some light on whether or not I should submit this
coin or is it Artifical Toning?
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/mrcoin.html

Ugh.

I can't imagine spending money to have that slabbed. Look at it this
way - toning takes decades to develop, and that coin hasn't had the
time. If it had had the time, it wouldn't tone like that. I'd say dip
the mofo and add it to the stack of bullion as it was intended to be
used.

Actually, that toning can develop on a ASE in just two to four years. I was
first introduced to the toned ASEs by my accountant, who had stored his in
tissue paper, similar to kleenex. Here is one post that discussed this;

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...b10ac2b8f4309f

Here is one coin that I sold on eBay, giving the full story of how the coin
was toned, for over $100.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...ns/coinno1.JPG

The OP could make his look like the coin in my image if he were to continue
to store in kleenex for another year or two. I think. Anyway, I call the
coins ITs for intentional toning as opposed to AT. But, whatever. 99.9%
silver will tone quickly as as shown in this thread.

Bill

Ah, Bill...an informative, enlightening post. These coins CAN tone
quickly, I have some in tissue and they toned in less than 2 years, but
not like this. The 99.9% silver idea makes sense.
This coin has dramatic toning! Just like another poster stated, like
the oven toning I have seen. But this is not the case. The toning
covers surface and devices and shows a few of the marks on the coin
untoned. I got this a few years back at a show in Ft. Worth Tx from a
dealer who said it was from a friend of his who stored it in uneven
temps in the black Gov't issue velvet case. I don't really buy that
because of the intense toning, maybe tissue or old Taco Bell wrappers
were added to mix after all. :}

99.9%

Old August 3rd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paddy O'Day

BBQ n BLUES wrote:

Another tip:

Wrap your coins in a Taco Bell napkin for accelerated toning !

(according a post in the CU forums)

I'm gonna have to try it!

Thanks for the tip.

JAM