Ebay seller ....

Old April 22nd 04, 06:52 PM
dahoov2

Default Ebay seller ....

I saw a listing of a Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson signed index
card. Read the description and here his response:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I asked him if he was a dealer and what his number was and if he could
state where he got the items so I could research a little on it.

Here's the response I got:

Greengs,

First of all, I am a physician and collector--seldom a seller--I am a
regular member of UACC--regular dues paying members do NOT have
numbers--only registered full time dealers have numbers--I am on a
first name basis with many of the officers of UACC as I enjoy taking
my kids to the UACC shows. As stated on our ebay page, ALL signing
info will be given to the winner--All items were obtained in person
and are real--If you have doubts, don't bid---I know a fake a million
miles away and these are NOT-- Thanks, Jon

This crap about not receiving information until AFTER a winning bid is
craop..... Here's my response:

Jon,

I am assuming this is the email about the Neeson/Portman signatures.

Being a phsician has nothing to do with collecting and or knowledge of
autograph collecting... and I too am a collector (for 10 years now)
and understand the UACC membership verses dealer. So no need to
instruct me on that. I wasn't clear about the way it was phrased;
dealers are also members...

By the way, UACC shows have many fakes in their books. Just because
something is bought from a UACC registered dealer does not make the
item legit... I have seen very reputible dealers have some slip
through their fingers. No one can be versed on every signature. And
for the record, I've personally witnessed some GREAT forgeries out
there.

The fact that you will not provide signing information until after the
auction is suspicious. At that point, I am committed to buy something
with no background on it and if I don't like your response on how it
was obtained, I risk negative feedback. I don't know you from Adam.
Therefore, as a buyer, it's my job to ask questions before buying. If
you are indeed a physician, you are obviously intelligent. Therefore
why would you not provide this information now? And to sell these
items for only $5? Why would a physician who has time to list items
on Ebay, not answer questions? And why so low a price if you are a
collector and attend UACC shows? You'd know the value of the item
would you not?

I guess I sounded snippy if this is the person with the Neeson/Portman
because my emails went unanswered. To me, this is the sign of one of
two things. I may be wrong, but as I see it, you are either hiding
something or don't wish to be bothered. If the latter is the case,
you ought not to be in business. A true business person would honor
a customer by answering their questions

I just wanted to know how you got it so I can research it. I don't
know you and though you may be an upstanding person, for all I know
you could be a blatant forger. Sorry if you're offended, if you asked
me the same questions, I'd answer knowing you don't know me.

Thanks for your time.
Sue

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old April 22nd 04, 07:43 PM
Dan C

I thought the Natalie Portman looked OK and the Bernard Hill... but I'm not
too familiar with their sigs. I am suspicious of his John Rhys Davies though
(which I found while browsing his feedback). Take a look and maybe it'll
give you some idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3806916180.
Also look at this Hugh Jackman:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3804930006.
Browse through his feedback because there are a ton more sigs that you can
look at there. Honestly, I'm not that familiar with in person sigs because
they may be more rushed than TTM sigs, so take my opinion for what it's
worth. I know you are very able and experienced enough to come up with your
own conclusions Sue, even moreso than me. Good luck!

Daniel
http://www.focussimulation.com/dan

Old April 22nd 04, 07:54 PM
dahoov2

What do you think of the "information after you win the auction"
Startement? That's what's bugging me.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:43:38 -0700, "Dan C"
wrote:

I thought the Natalie Portman looked OK and the Bernard Hill... but I'm not
too familiar with their sigs. I am suspicious of his John Rhys Davies though
(which I found while browsing his feedback). Take a look and maybe it'll
give you some idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3806916180.
Also look at this Hugh Jackman:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3804930006.
Browse through his feedback because there are a ton more sigs that you can
look at there. Honestly, I'm not that familiar with in person sigs because
they may be more rushed than TTM sigs, so take my opinion for what it's
worth. I know you are very able and experienced enough to come up with your
own conclusions Sue, even moreso than me. Good luck!

Daniel
http://www.focussimulation.com/dan

.. .

Old April 22nd 04, 08:22 PM
SBFan2000

Have seen quite a few ebay sellers do that. I think its absolute garbage.
They should inform a buyer of where it was obtained so you could do a little
research.

wrote:

[...]

"dahoov2" wrote in message
.. .
I saw a listing of a Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson signed index
card. Read the description and here his response:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=59 &s

spagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old April 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
Robert de Ridder

Buy it now for only $ 12? I didn't know Nathalie Portman was that easy to
get....
With two items listed, I don't know why he even bothers though

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht

Old April 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
dahoov2

Exactly; and he is supposedly a doctor? Doesn't add up does it!

Old April 22nd 04, 08:53 PM
Richard

Remember this is ebay,, how many things add up??
Old April 22nd 04, 08:55 PM
Dan C

I agree his story sounds fishy. I highly doubt a physician would have that
much time to go out and get THAT many autographs. And the info after auction
ends is a little suspicious as well, although I think I have heard of other
dealers that in my opinion sell legit stuff have that policy as well. It's
probably a business decision so people don't go out and get autographs for
free haha. Still, I'd be VERY cautious around this guy.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Richard

I sell regularly on ebay, AND I ALWAYS WELCOME and answer questions. It means
someone is interested in the item I am selling. Not answering questions is not
a very good business policy and maybe suspicious too.
Old April 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Robert de Ridder

What would bug me is the statement on the end. "People who wait 5-6 hours to
get an authentic autograph DO NOT SELL THEM FOR $1.00."

They do apparantly sell them for $12...

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht

wrote:

[...]

.. .