Franklin Halfs Barber coins--Help needed

Old February 5th 05, 04:17 PM
Dick

Default Franklin Halfs Barber coins--Help needed

After my Mother passed away in Dec I found 3 coin sets that I believe my
Dad bought in the 80s. I know nothing about them and hope that someone in
this group would help me out.
I am interested in where they may have came from and an approx. value.
I'm in the Chicago area and will probably sell them to one of the coin
dealers here, and I am hoping to get a fair price.
I have posted some small pics at

set1--Called The Presidential Silver Collection
13 coins--Kennedy halfs-64,65,66,67,68,69,70,and 1776-1996
Ike dollars---71,72,73,74, and 1776-1976
almost all the coins show some tarnish

set2--Called Franklin Liberty Bell-U.S. Half Dollars--Brilliant-Uncirculated
1954-1963
all coins are in individual sealed plastic containers and are
bright with no tarnish

Barber set--Called Charles E Barber Turn of the Century Silver Treasury
the set is a cheaply framed wall hanging with 5 liberty
head quarters and 5 halfs.
all the coins are very worn

If you need more info you can post here or send me a
. Just remove the nospam
Thank you all very much-Dick

Old February 5th 05, 05:06 PM
Texan in NY

Sorry, has not enabled any public albums in their
account.

Old February 5th 05, 06:09 PM
WinWinscenario

If you need more info you can post here or send me a
. Just remove the nospam
Thank you all very much-Dick

Dick-

It's impossible to tell just what you have from those small photos.

The best advice is to get at least three different appraisals and not to get
your hopes up on the value. These types of packaged sets are not designed to
contain rare or high-value coins.

Regards,
Tom
Old February 5th 05, 06:15 PM
Bill Krummel

"Dick" wrote in message
After my Mother passed away in Dec I found 3 coin sets that I believe
my
Dad bought in the 80s. I know nothing about them and hope that someone in
this group would help me out.
I am interested in where they may have came from and an approx. value.
I'm in the Chicago area and will probably sell them to one of the coin
dealers here, and I am hoping to get a fair price.
I have posted some small pics at

set1--Called The Presidential Silver Collection
13 coins--Kennedy halfs-64,65,66,67,68,69,70,and 1776-1996
Ike dollars---71,72,73,74, and 1776-1976
almost all the coins show some tarnish

I do not know anything about the history or marketing of the sets.

The 64 Kennedy is 90% silver and worth approx. $2 for silver. The 65-69
Kennedys are 40% silver and worth a buck to a $1.50 for silver. The 1970
Kennedy was low mintage and has numismatic worth, if undamaged, of around
$10. The Ikes may only be worth face value, although it is possible that
some have silver content. If you should be lucky and have high grade
uncirculated coins (coins with exceptional eye appeal, no mishandling, and
no noticeable nicks, even miniscule nicks, the numismatic value may exceed
the silver content value. Do not try to clean the coins to remove the
tarnish, doing so may reduce any numismatic value.

set2--Called Franklin Liberty Bell-U.S. Half
Dollars--Brilliant-Uncirculated
1954-1963
all coins are in individual sealed plastic containers and are
bright with no tarnish

Check here for price guides;

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.cht...kennedy_ha lf

Top of the page starts the regular business strike prices. The columns that
are headed with the numerals in the 60s are BU prices, the higher the
number, the better the coin. Figure $5-$6 per coin for a typical
uncirculated Franklin half, but the numbers can climb much higher if the
coin is exceptionally nice. FL in the charts stands for Full Lines, the
bell lines on the bell on the reverse. For a FL designation, which can mean
a more valuable coin, the lines have to be complete, indicating a better
strike.

Barber set--Called Charles E Barber Turn of the Century Silver Treasury
the set is a cheaply framed wall hanging with 5 liberty
head quarters and 5 halfs.
all the coins are very worn

Worth something, for sure, but the price could range from $4 to $10 each for
the halfs, less for the quarters, all depending on how badly worn the coins
are.

You might consider keeping the coins rather than selling them, as a basis
for a hobby or to pass on to your children.

Bill

Old February 5th 05, 06:37 PM
Cliff

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:17:04 GMT, "Dick"
wrote:

[...]

I took a look at the sets. I can't really see the coins in the
picture but I will say that based on sets like this I have seen most
of the coins are usually polished to make them loook "better". As far
as the worn barbers are concerned, they are probably common dates and
if not polished the halves should be worth about around 4 to 5 dollars
each and the quarters about 2 to 3 dollars each. If they have been
polished then they are probably worth about 1.50 for each half and
about 75 or 80 cents for the quarter. The holder and such is really
not worth anything to anyone else not having the set. As far as the
Kennedy halves go, if there really is a 70 in there and it's not
polished it can be worth between 7 and 20 dollars (it should have a
small D on the back for Denver Mint). The 64 half is 90 percent
silver and worth about $2 and the 65 - 69 are 40 percent silver and
worth about 60 to 70 cents each. If polished the the 70 is also worth
about 3 or 4 dollars. All the Ike dollars are cupro-nickle (not
silver) and basically worth face value or if you find someone who
really wants them you might get 1.50 or so each.
As for the Franklin halves, most of these type sets have the coins
polished up to a high shine and if that is the case then the coins are
worth probably 1.75 to 2.25 each. Again the neat holders are
basically not worth anything unless you find someone with a particular
desire for such a holder or set.

Do not be surprised if you take the sets to a coin dealer and he
offers something like 20 or 25 dollars for the whole group. If you
feel like you must sell them, put them up on ebay with good photos of
the coins and you might get 2 or 3 times that much.

My advice would be to put them away and keep them as mementos of your
mom and just save them as keepsakes. She probably paid 40 to 50
dollars per set and quite possibly more than that for the Franklin's.

Cliff

Old February 12th 05, 12:39 PM
Dick

I'd like to thank you all for the information and your time in replying to
my post.--Dick