"2 EURO Commemorative coin 'Bartolomeo Borghesi"

Old November 8th 04, 10:21 PM
gogu

Default "2 EURO Commemorative coin 'Bartolomeo Borghesi"

Hi folks!
Today I received an order form from San Marino for their "2 EURO
Commemorative coin 'Bartolomeo Borghesi" at 10 euros a piece (plus
shipping).
I know that something similar was discussed here a few weeks (?) ago but I
think it was about the 2 euros Vatican commemorative coin.
Is this S.Marino coin worth collecting?
I am not collecting lose euro coins, just sets, so I fail to see what it
would be
of interest to me...
Do these coins are going to circulate or not ?
Any photos ?...

Thank you.

--
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old November 8th 04, 10:45 PM
Christian Feldhaus

gogu wrote:

Is this S.Marino coin worth collecting?

Well, I ordered one, primarily because I also have "all" the other €2
commemorative pieces. And I like the idea of having a numismatist on a
coin. But if you think about ordering one and then selling it later ...
do not expect a profit. (Just my guess.)

Do these coins are going to circulate or not ?

From what I know 110,000 pieces are issued, but I do not think any of
them will be available "raw" or in rolls. If that is correct, they are
not likely to circulate.

Any photos ?...

Here is one, though it looks like a design study (almost 3D g) rather
than an actual coin:
http://www.aasfn.sm/2000/images00/bi..._2euro.jpg.jpg

This site has some pictures of (issued and planned) special €2 coins:
http://www.2-euro.net/
The text is in German, but the images are not ;-)

Christian
Old November 8th 04, 10:55 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
gogu wrote:

Is this S.Marino coin worth collecting?

Well, I ordered one, primarily because I also have "all" the other €2
commemorative pieces. And I like the idea of having a numismatist on a
coin. But if you think about ordering one and then selling it later ...
do not expect a profit. (Just my guess.)

Do these coins are going to circulate or not ?

From what I know 110,000 pieces are issued, but I do not think any of
them will be available "raw" or in rolls. If that is correct, they are
not likely to circulate.

Any photos ?...

Here is one, though it looks like a design study (almost 3D g) rather
than an actual coin:
http://www.aasfn.sm/2000/images00/bi..._2euro.jpg.jpg

This site has some pictures of (issued and planned) special €2 coins:
http://www.2-euro.net/
The text is in German, but the images are not ;-)

Christian

No image of the Austrian comm ;-(

Dale

Old November 8th 04, 10:58 PM
gogu

? "Christian Feldhaus" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote:

Is this S.Marino coin worth collecting?

Well, I ordered one, primarily because I also have "all" the other €2
commemorative pieces. And I like the idea of having a numismatist on a
coin. But if you think about ordering one and then selling it later ...
do not expect a profit. (Just my guess.)

Nooo, nooo, I am a collector :-)
In the future I may sell my double coins but never a coin that I have just
one.

Any photos ?...

Here is one, though it looks like a design study (almost 3D g) rather
than an actual coin:
http://www.aasfn.sm/2000/images00/bi..._2euro.jpg.jpg

This site has some pictures of (issued and planned) special €2 coins:
http://www.2-euro.net/
The text is in German, but the images are not ;-)

:-)
So is it easy to buy one of every commemorative 2 euro coins ?...
I mean in reasonable prices...

tnnx

PS
That's what happens to me every time something new comes up: first
reaction is "no, I am not going to collect them".
Later some Christian fellow from Germany shows me more pictures and there I
am starting a new collection :-)))

PS
Is the Greek "disk thrower" considered a commemorative or not ?

Old November 8th 04, 11:21 PM
Fernando de la Cuadra

That's what happens to me every time something new comes up: first
reaction is "no, I am not going to collect them".
Later some Christian fellow from Germany shows me more pictures and there

am starting a new collection :-)))

Have you seen "Toy story 2"? "I'm a married potatoe, I'm a married potatoe"

In my case, "I should stop collecting so many coins, I should...." Hell! I
wanna have them!!!!! :-))))

Fernando

Old November 8th 04, 11:24 PM
gogu

Ο "Fernando de la Cuadra" έγραψε
στο μήνυμα ...
That's what happens to me every time something new comes up: first
reaction is "no, I am not going to collect them".
Later some Christian fellow from Germany shows me more pictures and there

am starting a new collection :-)))

Have you seen "Toy story 2"? "I'm a married potatoe, I'm a married
potatoe"

LOL

In my case, "I should stop collecting so many coins, I should...." Hell! I
wanna have them!!!!! :-))))

E x a c t l y my "disease" :-)))

Old November 9th 04, 12:21 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Dale Hallmark wrote:

No image of the Austrian comm ;-(

Have not seen any yet ... In a German language coin forum somebody
recently posted the reply he had received from the Austrian Mint. All
they said was the country specific side will show the Staatsvertrag.
(Yeah, dear mint, tell us something we _don't_ know g.)

Christian
Old November 9th 04, 12:21 AM
Christian Feldhaus

gogu wrote:

Nooo, nooo, I am a collector :-)

I know :-) Just wanted to emphasize that (according to my crystal ball)
this will not be as heavily sought after as, say, the early San Marino
or Vatican annual sets.

In the future I may sell my double coins but never a coin that I have just
one.

Even selling your "unique" coins may make sense one day. Like, in case
you decide to collect rare/expensive medieval coins only, why not sell
the others? I do not see anything wrong with that, except you may not
get as much for those others as you would like to g.

So is it easy to buy one of every commemorative 2 euro coins ?...
I mean in reasonable prices...

In general, yes. It will be hard if not impossible to find them in
circulation, but I did not pay much for the Finnish €2 commem and the
one from Luxembourg, for example. A little more than for the Greek one
though ;-) Had I been in FI and LU when the two were issued, I could
even have picked some up at face value. This one from San Marino, and
the Vatican piece, however, will AFAIK only come in those coin cards or
mini-sets ...

That's what happens to me every time something new comes up: first
reaction is "no, I am not going to collect them".
Later some Christian fellow from Germany shows me more pictures and
there I am starting a new collection :-)))

Hehe ... but this one will hopefully be relatively inexpensive. So you
can still collect the other series you started, without going bankrupt.

Is the Greek "disk thrower" considered a commemorative or not ?

Well, officially there are the regular circulation coins, the
circulating commemoratives (these "special" €2 pieces), and the country
specific collectors coin. So in this sense the Greek coin certainly is a
commemorative. Before the euro, many EU countries had coins that matched
the circulation coins in terms of diameter, composition and such but had
different designs. Like Italian 500 lire coins, French 10 or 20 francs,
and Greece had some 50 drachmes pieces of that kind. Would you consider
them commemoratives or not? :-)

Christian
Old November 9th 04, 01:24 AM
Dale Hallmark

Dale Hallmark wrote:

No image of the Austrian comm ;-(

Have not seen any yet ... In a German language coin forum somebody
recently posted the reply he had received from the Austrian Mint. All
they said was the country specific side will show the Staatsvertrag.
(Yeah, dear mint, tell us something we _don't_ know g.)

Christian

Yep I have seen the description :-) Still don't know what it looks like :-)

Dale

Old November 9th 04, 01:46 AM
Dik T. Winter

In article "gogu" writes:
? "Christian Feldhaus" ?????? ??? ??????

This site has some pictures of (issued and planned) special €2 coins:
http://www.2-euro.net/
The text is in German, but the images are not ;-)

:-)
So is it easy to buy one of every commemorative 2 euro coins ?...
I mean in reasonable prices...

Some you may get at a reasonable price, some not, it depends on the
way they are issued. (And thank you for the Olympics 2 Euro.) However,
I read on that site the EU regulations on those coins, and apparently
there are strict limits on the number of coins you may strike in an
issue (at most 0.5 % of the yearly quota), and at most one coin each
year. The limit may be raised to 2%, but in that case you can issue
only one coin in 4 years. So Vatican, San Marino and Monaco special
2 Euro coins will be limited edition and not readily available.
Luxembourg coins will be a bit more widely available (and I have one
at a reasonable price). But it appears that the Finnish one will be
more expensive (although you may find it in circulation, as a number
are spead over rolls of standard 2 Euro coins). On the other hand,
there is no set minimum, but as there is a limit on the number of
issues each year, I think most countries will go for the maximum
allowance...

But whatever happens, I think most special issues will be intended to
rake in as much money as possible from collectors, and as such, I
will not collect them.