Stan Winston dies at 62

Old June 17th 08, 08:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bob

Default Stan Winston dies at 62

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Hollywood special-effects maestro Stan
Winston has died at age 62.

The Oscar-winning visual effects artist died at his home Sunday
evening surrounded by family after a seven-year struggle with multiple
myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio.

Winston won visual effects Oscars for 1986's "Aliens," 1992's
"Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and 1993's "Jurassic Park."

Winston is survived by his wife, Karen, a son, daughter, brother and
four grandchildren.

I have tried him for years with no luck, guess this explains it.
Old June 17th 08, 12:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Oh man; he was an icon in the industry and I loved his work. You
could tell a lot of the times, without looking at the credits, when he
worked on something. That's rare in the industry to tell... which
shows just how good he was.

He did sign for me years ago and was a good signer. I'd sent something
cheap and he sent back a gorgeous photo in its place. I guess he'd
been ill and didn't sign anymore.

Old June 17th 08, 02:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Then you aren't very well versed in film.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:43:04 -0700, "B14"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Hollywood special-effects maestro Stan
Winston has died at age 62.

The Oscar-winning visual effects artist died at his home Sunday
evening surrounded by family after a seven-year struggle with multiple
myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio.

Winston won visual effects Oscars for 1986's "Aliens," 1992's
"Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and 1993's "Jurassic Park."

Winston is survived by his wife, Karen, a son, daughter, brother and
four grandchildren.

I have tried him for years with no luck, guess this explains it.

who,never heard of him

Old June 17th 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

On Jun 17, 2:59 am, Bob wrote:
I guess I've never heard of him, and I don't collect people who do
visual effects for movies. I collect those who do theme songs for the
movies and TV series, but not visual effects.

Chip
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autographdc

Old June 17th 08, 05:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

he was really nice. and terminator and jurassic park don't get done
the way they look without the guy..
why would anyone post "i've never heard of him."? can't you just let
the post be alone and not say anything???that's just silly.

Old June 17th 08, 11:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

On Jun 17, 12:59*am, Bob wrote:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Hollywood special-effects maestro Stan
Winston has died at age 62.
I have tried him for years with no luck

At first I thought maybe it was the guy who owned Winston Cigarettes.
But it turns out to be even less of a celebrity than that. Hard to
believe someone so obscure wouldn't sign. What is the problem with
such losers?

Old June 18th 08, 12:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

are you kidding...
the guy was a VISIONARY who set the looks of some of what's probably
your favorite films...
jurassic park doesn't get made at all without him. steven spielberg
has said that much himself. terminator movies would have just
relegated themselves to comic books if it weren't for him. his
animatronic work set the pace for the rest of the film industry. ask
any animation student who wants to do special effects and the first
names out of their mouths should be stan winston (could be ray
harryhausen (sp?)). and his work set studios in motion to find a way
to combine 3d animation with live action in a way that works..
this guy was one of the busiest people in hollywood for almost 30
years and he changed the way we think of movies...
just try to remember all those interviews and behind the scenes stuff
on terminator and jurassic park where they called the movies
"groundbreaking."
if you want to talk about a "legend" this guy could be one of them.
oh, and he has 4 oscars, which is pretty much twice as many as anyone
else you can think of (rick baker and john williams aside).

not to get into it here..but i do find it funny someone called him a
"nobody," when it's so far from the actuality...actors only paly a
small part in the movies we all love, and there's very few behind the
scenes "masters" that many other people can even remember their names.
this guy was truly one of the greats.

Old June 18th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

He won 4 Oscars, several Baftas, several other major awards and was
nominated dozens of times. He also was the only SFX guy to ever get a
star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. Who's the other? Ray Harryhausen?

Rick Baker and John Williams also legends. Phil Tippett coming pretty
damned close too (he does HUGE films really now and is associated with
all the major ones that require complex SFX). there are others, but
only a few Huge ones like these.

There are levels of fans here and I can see why some wouldn't know
them, but if you want to collect icons, it's cool to think outside of
the box and get these people....not just actors. Actually these
people have more talent than many of the A-List actors of today.
Hell, Hanna Montana or Stan Winston? LOL It's not even a contest.
Stan would never become a has-been while Hanna Montana girl will be.
I have all the above in my collection as well as people like
Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola, Peter Jackson etc. That's not to say
everyone should collect them, but there IS some satisfaction from
learning about what people do, what influence in film they have, how
they shape our viewing. You can see one hell of a suckass movie but
it will "pass" merely because of the likes of Stan Winston or a Ray
Harryhausen. Or even a John Williams or Rick Baker. Just my opinion.