Souce for media mailing supplies

Old December 24th 03, 04:40 PM
John Warner

Default Souce for media mailing supplies

The number of my books being sold and mailed through online book
posting services have increased recently. Does anyone know a good
supplier of padded mailing envelopes that I might purchase from?
Old December 24th 03, 06:25 PM
Kris Baker

"John Warner" wrote in message
om...
The number of my books being sold and mailed through
online book posting services have increased recently.
Does anyone know a good supplier of padded mailing
envelopes that I might purchase from?

Please don't use padded mailing envelopes. They don't
protect books from bumping of corners, the dust jackets
can adhere to the interior bubbled lining, and they're
not as bulletproof as you think.

You don't know if the next package in the stack is a
25 pound box of Aunt Martha's jelly, which may leak
all over your padded envelope and destroy your book.
Your book may also be next to that eBay seller's
package, full of sharp metal Structo toy parts that poke
through his poor packaging and into your little
"padded" envelope.

I've shipped hundreds of books successfully. First, I
put the book (and receipt) in a plastic bag, and seal it
shut. I then use a small box OR wrap the book in
heavy cardboard. Padding is added, of course, to
prevent the item from shifting during mail processing.

Kris

Old December 24th 03, 06:26 PM
Denise

Don't send books in padded mailing envelopes; they are likely to arrive
damaged. Send them in boxes with lots of cushioning instead.

A couple good, reasonably priced suppliers are www.uline.com and
www.papermart.com

cheers ~
Denise

--
Empty Mirror Books & Distribution www.emptymirrorbooks.com
specializing in modern poetry, the Beat Generation, & the work of Michael

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, & the arts

Post Office Box 972, Mukilteo, WA 98275-0972 USA

Old December 24th 03, 10:58 PM
William M. Klimon

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
. com...

Please don't use padded mailing envelopes. They don't
protect books from bumping of corners, the dust jackets
can adhere to the interior bubbled lining, and they're
not as bulletproof as you think.

[and]

"Denise" wrote in message

Don't send books in padded mailing envelopes; they are likely to arrive
damaged. Send them in boxes with lots of cushioning instead.

I would certainly agree with regard to shipping overseas and to shipping
collectible books and oversized books and particularly valuable books. I
recently had an eBay knucklehead ship me a copy of:

Manning, Robert. *England's Conversion and Reformation Compared [etc.]* The
First American Edition, Revised and Corrected from the Fifth Dublin Edition
(Lancaster [Pennsylvania]: Jesse Kendall for George Daly, 1813),

loose in a bubble-padded envelope! Naturally, the front cover was torn off.
(I paid a bargain eBay price and I have another copy and have recently
handled a third, so I was not distraught--just annoyed.)

But for reading copies and new, tightly bound, average-sized books (like a
lot of the review copies that I sell), I've found that a good, sturdy,
padded (with paper mash, not plastic bubbles) envelope does the job. I've
shipped over 1,300 books that way and had only one complaint. I order them
from uline.com.

And I think I am the only one who has mentioned the other side of the coin:
there are some people who pack and tape and seal and wrap things so tightly
that it is impossible to open them without damaging them--that's happened to
me more times than my eBay example above.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old December 24th 03, 11:26 PM
Tom L-M

But for reading copies and new, tightly bound, average-sized books (like a
lot of the review copies that I sell), I've found that a good, sturdy,
padded (with paper mash, not plastic bubbles) envelope does the job. I've
shipped over 1,300 books that way and had only one complaint. I order

them
from uline.com.

And I think I am the only one who has mentioned the other side of the

coin:
there are some people who pack and tape and seal and wrap things so

tightly
that it is impossible to open them without damaging them--that's happened

me more times than my eBay example above.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments William - most of my items are
sent in 'Jiffy Bags', in addition to a layer or two of buble wrap around the
book - never had any complaints, as I always ensure the book can not move
around the mailer.

Recently got a large box with a Folio Society set of Shakespeare that I
inadvertantly poked some scissors through as it was so tightly packed - the
same nearly happened with a set of Pepys' Diaries - a well angled swiss army
knife saved the day!

I am beginning to despair of the risks taken with the folding cardboard book
mailers that have no waterproof provision. Touch wood I have been lucky so
far - but can see a water damaged book arriving in our wintry future!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone,

Tom L-M

Old December 24th 03, 11:51 PM
Jon Meyers

"Tom L-M" wrote...
William M. Klimon wrote...
I've
shipped over 1,300 books that way and had only one complaint....

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments William - most of my items are
sent in 'Jiffy Bags', in addition to a layer or two of buble wrap around

the
book - never had any complaints...

You two might not have had complaints, but anyone who sends me a book in a
bag--even if the book arrives undamaged--goes straight to my
won't-buy-from-again list.

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old December 26th 03, 02:29 AM
Gary Phillips

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
"Tom L-M" wrote...
William M. Klimon wrote...
I've
shipped over 1,300 books that way and had only one complaint....

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments William - most of my items

are
sent in 'Jiffy Bags', in addition to a layer or two of buble wrap around

the
book - never had any complaints...

You two might not have had complaints, but anyone who sends me a book in a
bag--even if the book arrives undamaged--goes straight to my
won't-buy-from-again list.

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,
lose your way.]

I just received a signed 1st ed. of Eugene Izzi's The Take in a unpadded
8X10 manila envelope. No interior padding, no plastic bag, nothing.

Hard to believe, but the book arrived undamaged. But I will never again buy
from this dealer.

Gary Phillips

Old December 26th 03, 02:50 PM
Denise

Tom L-M wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments William - most of my items are
sent in 'Jiffy Bags', in addition to a layer or two of buble wrap around

the
book - never had any complaints, as I always ensure the book can not move
around the mailer.

But it is not movement that is the problem with the Jiffy Bags. It is that
they do not offer enough protection - the bags are fairly easily dented,
bent, or punctured; potentially causing books to arrive with bumped corners,
indentations, or worse. It does happen.

When I receive such a shipment, I don't always complain to the seller; I
just won't buy from them again.

best,

Old December 26th 03, 04:41 PM
Tom L-M

When I receive such a shipment, I don't always complain to the seller; I
just won't buy from them again.

best,
Denise

If I had that attitude my 'wont buy from' list would include almost every
dealer that I have ever bought from, excepting around 5 - and including some
of the bigger names.

Jiffy bags and buble wrap are obviously more common over here.

Cheers,

Tom L-M