Best Coin Software to get?

Old February 5th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Best Coin Software to get?

I am a coin collector and have a wide variety of American Coins dating
back to older silver and gold coins as well as half cents, etc. I also
have some bills such as $2 bills as well as foreign money like Iraqi
paper money and coins from around the world.
What I have done for keeping track of all of this is I've simply typed
up a word document listing all coins from 1700's and up (and including
S's, D's, etc) and then I leave it blank or either write a 1, 2, etc.
next to it to write the number of that type I have. As newer years
come I just add to my word document by writing in the newer years.
Well this has become hard to keep updated and now I'm wondering if it's
time for some type of coin database software. I am looking for the
following features:

Very important: Database that can be updated yearly or so for each new
year and coins
Very important: I want it to contain foreign coins as well as american
coins.
Somewhat important: It would be nice if it contains paper money.
Somewhat important: It would be nice if it had pictures of the
coins/paper money but not
as necessary
Important: That I can easily view coins of any type (such as looking
at what Indian Head
Pennies I have.
Very important: I want to be able to print out the database so I can
take it on the go such as if I go to a coin store so I can see what I
have.

I have never looked for coin software out there and prefer something
low in cost but for the right software I'd willingly pay more. I'd
appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Old February 5th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Best Coin Software to get? (Long reply)

wrote in news:1139095533.137500.153060
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Hi, and welcome to RCC!

This subject comes up quite often on RCC, so you might want to do a
search for 'coin software' and see what comes up. I've made some
suggestions before (see below for two of my previous posts).

Ok, here's the list of the other software programs I've tried, or heard
about:

1. Coin Manage (libertystreet.com)
2. CoinElite (trovesoftware.com)
3. Coin Collector's Assistant Plus
4. Coin Keeper
5. Coin Organizer
6. Smart Tracker Coins
7. Collect!
8. Organize Your Coin Collection
9. Pro-Coin
10. Tellico
11. NumisEXPERT/ProIII
12. Coin Plus!
13. Collection Explorer
14. Village Coin
15. Ancient Coin Collector's Assistant
16. Coin Track
17. Currency Vault
18. Virtual Coin Cabinet

I'm sure there are plenty others out there, too. A few years back, I
tried out the Demo versions of the first 9 of these. Sorry, you'll have
to do a search to get the websites.

My suggestion to you would be for you to try out the demo versions of a
bunch of different packages, to see what fits your needs the best. I
could tell you that I like CoinManage the best (and, I do, from the ones
I actually tried), but you may find that it totally sucks for your
needs. Or, you may find that you don't think it's worth the money to use
one of the pay ones, if there's a free one out there. Or, you may decide
that you could make your own database just as easily, to suit your needs
exactly.

HTH, somewhat. Good luck, and let us know what you choose!

Another post:

Two of the better-known coin software programs are CoinManage
(
www.libertystreet.com) and Coin Elite (www.trovesoftware.com). I ran
thru the trial versions of each, and will probably settle on CoinManage,
if/when I decide to buy. There are many other packages out there - Coin
Collector's Assistant Plus, Coin Keeper, Coin Organizer, Smart Tracker
Coins, Collect!, Organize Your Coin Collection, Pro-Coin 2005, etc. -
ebaY has a ton of different ones for sale, too.

Your best bet would be to research all of the programs out there (time
to do a web search) to see what's available and what they can or can't
do. Then, discuss the pros and cons of each, along with other wish-list
items, with your coin-collecting friends, and maybe here at RCC, if
anyone would care to get involved in this project. Then, maybe you can
come up with something even better than what's available.

Every person has different needs. I don't even know what all my needs
are, yet. I'll probably buy CoinManage (well, I might have to check out
some of the new ones on the market), and see if it fills all my needs or
not. I did the same with my Genealogy software - tried out the trial
versions of about 15 programs, settled on the one that I thought was the
best, and came to realize that I really need more than one program to do
all the things I wanted it to do.

Good luck! Keep us informed on how it's going.

Well, I hope that helps you a bit.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old February 5th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thank you for your help and I'm going to start looking at the web sites
and what sounds like a good program for my uses I'll download the
trial. That's what's great about the trial software.
I had gotten out of working with my coin collection for the last few
years but am getting back into it again. I will be sure to post my
results of what software I choose.

Old February 6th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Eric Babula wrote:
Hope you find something that suits your needs. I ended up getting
CoinManage (for Christmas), and like it, so far. I don't typically
collect foreign coins or paper currency, so I have no need for those
features. But, I do believe that you can inventory foreign coins with
CoinManage, and they also have CurrencyManage for paper money. I believe
they sell them as a bundled package, too.

If you don't find what you need in some of the paid software programs,
you might consider putting your collection in an Excel file instead of
Word. You could always import the Excel file into a database, and do
whatever you want with it - providing you're proficient at database
design and manipulation. I'm not, nor do I have the ambition to learn
that, so I went for the commercial package.

Like Eric, I use Coin Manage. When I first started on eBay I built a
simple Access database to track my ebay purchases. This was mainly to
ensure that they all arrived and I didn't forget about some that never
showed up. That was back in 1997 when ebay didn't track these things
for you too well. I'm still using that same database.

About that same time I downloaded what was known as Coin Manage Lite.
This was the free version of Coin Manage. I used that for years, even
after they took it off their web site and quit supporting it. Then I
finally broke down and purchased Coin Manage 2003. My records from the
free version ported into the new version but they lost the collection
category they were in. It took me some time to get the data organized
again and I still have some of it in the default collection it was
dumped in.

Overall I'm happy with Coin Manage and haven't bothered to upgrade it
every year when they come out with a new version. I also tried at
least 4-5 other programs from the list Eric made but I didn't like any
of them as well as Coin Manage.

I earn my living developing software so I could have easily developed
my own database in Access. However, the number of hours I would have
had to put into designing and implementing it would have more than
offset the minimal cost of bying a completed package.

Good luck with whichever package you choose.

Old February 6th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Well I have tried both Coin Manager and Coin Elite and I didn't care
for Coin Elite. Coin Manager is great though! I wish it had more
foreign coins, euros, etc. but I see I can add that. I will try out
the others but think I will end up going with Coin Manage 2005.

Old February 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...
Well I have tried both Coin Manager and Coin Elite and I didn't care
for Coin Elite. Coin Manager is great though! I wish it had more
foreign coins, euros, etc. but I see I can add that. I will try out
the others but think I will end up going with Coin Manage 2005.

I tried Coin Elite and I really didn't like it...
I *have* the CoinManage and I like it generally but it is week if you are
collecting coins not included in its data base. Of course you can create
your specific data base for the country(ies) you collect, but it's difficult
and time consuming, let alone that my 2004 version has a bug which is
corrected in the 2005 version but instead to offer me a patch they say "buy
our
2005 version and it is fixed there" !!!
I saw the Carlisle program (Coin Collector's Assistant Plus) on web and from
what I could see from the screen shots it seems to suit better my needs.
Of course everyone has his specific needs and you may like some other
program :-)

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old February 8th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:
ups.com...

http://media.putfile.com/nazi-gogu